There are lots of experiences in life about which you can afterwards say 'that was my first'. These are the transitions in life where what you have read about, or seen in films, suddenly becomes real. Your first job is just such a transition and I was reminded of this by watching the truly excellent film drama about Robert Maxwell on BBC2 last week.
The story is compelling. The man whose parents die in Auschwitz, who starts life with nothing, not even a pair of shoes. Who learns the most impeccable accent with the correctest of accents and who later amasses a fortune by sheer will and bluster.
The film was also a tour de force for David Suchet, who played Maxwell. Though as David Suchet is now so type cast as Agatha Christie's famous detective I felt it was Poirot playing Maxwell, rather than Suchet and that at any moment the famous upturned moustaches would sprout anew on the scowling Maxwell face like a species of weed.
Plenty of course regard Maxwell as a deceiving crook who robbed a great many people of their pensions. I do not dissent from the general judgement. Fortunately my world and his did not collide in the later stages of his life. But in my early years I had considerable reason to be grateful to Maxwell, for he gave me my first real job.
I am stretching a point. The great man - for such he already was - did not exactly appoint me personally to the temporary holiday cover position of Gestetner operator in the print shop at Headington Hall, in Oxford. But one of his minions, or his minions' minions must have done and so, one sunny day some forty years ago, I found myself on the Maxwell payroll.
Nor, if we are being strictly accurate, was this my first paid employment. Our neighbouring farmer used to let me drive his old Fordson tractor and work on the bailing sledge for an initial wage, I seem to remember of less than a shilling an hour.
But the Maxwell job was the first in which I had to dress up, at least semi smartly, and turn up at a set hour, fussing over stencils and correction fluid while the machine sat atop a table and rocked gently to the movement of its large and inky roller. If all went well the sheets of print - the machine demanded paper of blotting paper absorbency - flew into a tray at the bottom.
I suppose I must be one of the few people left on this earth qualified to operate such a machine. Even the verb 'to roneo' - after Gestetner's great rival Roneo - and meaning to run off a number of copies on a duplicating machine - has vanished into the oubliette of the archaic.
The Gestetner's nemis - the Xerox - sat just across the print room floor. And occasionally, I was allowed to operate it. All it took to operate the Xerox was a press of the button, though because the technology was then new and scarcely reliable an engineer had to be on almost permanent stand-by.
The beige machine was as big as a desk and when working emitted a eerie green light from under the vinyl flap where the documents to be copied were placed, which gave it the look of a refugee from an early science fiction movie.
It also smelt - not an unpleasant smell - but a kind of burning chemical miasma arose whenever it was in use. Sometimes this became all too real and the precious photostat emerged charred and smouldering at the edges.
I never met Maxwell during that stint, though it seems I just missed him on more than one occasion, for he had the habit of dropping in unannounced at the outposts of his empire. Nor did I ever meet him subsequently at the establishment he opened just across Magdalen Bridge, known universally as 'Maxwell's.'
This was a most wonderful emporium: from a first floor devoted to academic books you descended by a wide spiral staircase to a basement that was half coffee shop and half record boutique.
It seemed the height of sophistication then in those days to tuck myself up with a book and a nine-penny cup of coffee brewed by an ultra-modern Expresso machine and listen to the adjacent sounds of music.
Before my 'A' Levels I would sometimes retreat there to revise, if I had any time to kill. In particular I associate physics - my weakest subject by a mile - with Maxwell's coffee house. I must have lost myself in the dark corner under the spiral staircase many times while trying to ponder the mysteries of gravity and optics.
Not maybe the best chosen place for revision, you may think, nevertheless, I passed.
The joys of book club
-
When we moved here, in June 2022, we met various lovely neighbours
including a couple along the road who have been here much longer than we
have but are ...
1 year ago

16 comments:
I know those smells well strange sprit whiff ofrm teh machine as you cranked up the arm to roll of copies! isnt it incredible how people survive and grow to establish empires such as his, how many of us would have given up and died in obscuirty had we been in his shoes as a child..I always orperhaps spent the rest of our livescompalining it was not fair and they'd had it tough... remember that saying " what doesn't kill us makes us strong"
Love him or hate him-You have to admire his amazing strength of character to rise from such adversity to the heights he achieved. So true what Un peu says too.
What an interesting blog Fennie. I saw the trailer and intended watching but somehow missed it.
warm wishes
x
What a fascinating blog!
I saw the programme too, remarkable man, but strange seeing david Suchet play him though!
Glad you passed your A's!
Interesting how smells or even the descprition of smells can take us back in time. You mentionned that you would still be able to operate the machinery and that is amazing! One of my first jobs was stringing tennis rackets and I don't think I'd be able to string one now to save my life!
I'm with Craft Angel. And yes it is amazing how many memories a smell can summon up.
Yet another great article, you have really got a way with words.
I used to work a Nig Banda copier. That was all purple ink and strange smells too. Toady
Just been catching up with your blog Fennie. Wonderful stories....don't think you're mad at all for talking to animals... why on earth not? But I am speechless with admiration for the fact you passed A level physics! I was booted off it at the end of my third year as it was the one subject that seemed to be taught in a totally foreign language (though my brother took it at A level and found it easy) - so much for genes..... Smells, yes, so evocative.....jxxxx
Gosh that took me back in time to my second job where the photocopier went on fire with amazing regularity! Great blog!
what wonderful memories, the smell of roneos, the beginnings of a career. would love to hear more about this time in your life.
Great blog Fennie, really enjoyed this. Smells, yes, so evocative. I missed the programme, but agree with what Un Peu said. I'm in awe - A level Physics!!
Interesting blog - I used to run off roneo'd copies in my first job. People don't know they are born now. I had to type the stencil first - correctly! - and then run those copies off.i hated that machine - remember getting ink on my new dress (people would sue now I suppose!) I worked in an estate agents, people would laugh now at the details of properties we sent out - 'bijou cottages' etc.
The'Mystical mermaid and dolphin'cards are for special readings, and I also have 'Messages from your angels'. I will do a special reading if you feel the need, for a special problem or purpose. Just let me know. For now, focussing on you, and the little I know, and at 21.42 on 7/5 the angels helped me choose 'Freedom' - I hope that has some meaning for you today. The longer explanation is 'You are free to change your experience by changing the criteria upon which you base your decisions. Let go of old trappings and express your uniqueness'.
I passed on "A"levels if you get my drift only went to the "University of Life" so well done for passing yours great blog, I enjoyed reading it.
Blossom
Well that blog brought back memories - my first job at a Estate Agent - typing the stencils and then printing off the ruddy things. They would crease and the copy would be cr*p. And the bucket loads of tipex I got through. Great blog. As the others say, love him or loath him, you have to admire self made men.
Blow, I meant to watch it and forgot. Really well-written blog though, fennie and have had a lovely time catching up on some of your others too. xx
Lovely blog, I missed the programme, wish I had watched it now.Your first job sounded lovely, mine was in MacDonald's where I spent all day Saturday putting the blobs of mayonnaise on the filets of fish, I was a student of course, didn't last long at that job thank fully.
Post a Comment