What is the world coming to when you go to France for the weekend to see some very old friends and all you can find to write about that is remotely unusual is a fish swimming on its nose.
Admittedly it was a very fine fish. I am no expert but I think it possibly bore a connection to the Carp family. And it was swimming in the clear water of a pleasant moat attached to a manor house set amid rolling Normandy orchards, full of apple trees and those lumbering Norman cows of mottled brown.
As it happened we were on our way from Le Havre to Honfleur via the scenic route that crosses the Seine over the Pont de Tancarville, which had just opened when first I came to France almost 50 years ago and on which, as a homesick fourteen year old I was made to compose my first ever French 'essay.'
But back to the fish that swam on its nose. We first noticed it by its great tail, standing proud of the water, swishing slowly from side to side. Gradually it criss-crossed the moat in methodical manner, head down as if searching for someone's car keys. Never, I thought, have I watched such seemingly ordered behaviour in a fish.
I will not say anything about Honfleur, except that it seems full of shops selling expensive art of dubious quality. If you really want to know about Honfleur no doubt Wikepedia has a very fine entry on the subject. Though I will say that this was the port from which Champlain sailed one April day in 1608 to found the sad and forsaken city of Quebec, from where, in a sort of migration in reverse, one of my ancestors is thought to have come.
At the inevitable dinner on Saturday night - long even by French standards - we celebrated both my birthday and that of my host and wondered how France might fare under its new boot camp President. Everyone there seemed to have voted for Ségolène Royal and were consequently in something of a 'we wuz robbed' mood. The unanimity and the passion rather surprised me, as did the widely held belief that many French women had actually refused to vote for her on the grounds of gender.
Maybe things will have moved on in five years time for I must confess to having become, from the comfortable distance of this side of the Channel, something of a Ségo fan. In the meantime, perhaps, lest I inflame the passions of our Gallic contingent, I shall revert again to the Normandy countryside.
For it can't have been far from where the giant fish splashed lazily about in its moat that one of Fennie's greatest fabrications was concocted a few years ago as we hurried through lower Normandy en route to catch the ferry. Sharing our car was a young woman in her twenties, the friend of a friend who, for a reason now lost in the mists of time, we were escorting back to Blighty.
"Are those orange trees?" asked Harriet, feigning an interest in the foliage of some passing orchard.
"I don't think oranges grow in Normandy," I said politely.
"Oh." Harriet seemed so disappointed that I felt driven to compensate.
"But of course, they might have been lemons," I hazarded.
"Lemons?" Harriet's interest quickened, but then a note of doubt crept in. "But these looked orange."
"That's quite possible," I said getting into my stride. "The best Normandy lemons do have an orange tinge. It's the soil here you see - gives them their special flavour."
Harriet wasn't wholly convinced. "But I've never seen Normandy lemons in the shops," she said.
It was time for boldness. "Haven't you?" I exclaimed, and by now well into my fictional stride I continued, "But I suppose that's not altogether improbable. You see they are much sought after and the season is very short and there aren't many left over by the time the top restaurants in Paris have taken their share."
And so in this vein did the conversation continue like a sketch from Monty Python with me deploying one outrageous reason after another to explain why she had neither seen nor heard of these lemons with their magical taste and culinary properties.
In the end I longed for the penny to drop; for her to say ruefully but playfully "You've been winding me up." But sound of dropping pennies came there none.
And so, if somewhere, someday, you should meet a personable young woman who tries to persuade you that the zest of an orange tinted Normandy lemon represents the supreme jewel in the citrus crown, you may safely lay the blame at Fennie's door.
The joys of book club
-
When we moved here, in June 2022, we met various lovely neighbours
including a couple along the road who have been here much longer than we
have but are ...
1 year ago

12 comments:
Very naughty Fennie - that poor woman! Oh well, some people just beg to be kidded! So, your ancestor came from la belle Province. I think that a lot of people on this site have connections to Canada. How did the reverse migration come to be?
Oh dear, I wonder if the penny will ever drop - citrus fruits in Normandy??! I haven't been to Honfleur in ages, my last memory is of R and I having a spectacular, stiff-jawed row on the quayside! I was a bit of a Sego fan as well.
You are wicked, that poor girl. I had an auntie who was a dreadful wind up merchant, that probably explains a lot about me.
I can't believe you were so naughty Fennie!
Well written blog-you have a lovely style.
warm wishesx
You are very very wicked and veyr very funny! When our kids were small my friedn and I had a cunning plan to teach them that dogs were called cats and visa versa .. it was only the childrens fathers that prevented us carrying it through !
All Brittany is chaffing about the election even our 6 year old say Sarko will do nothing for the country!!
Oh dear and I have had cook out scouring the local markets for the 'orange lemon'. Mattrrrrooooooon!
Hi Fennie - right on, the goat is an optical illusion. He's a pretty normal sized goat, in reality. I'm short, but not that short!
A friend of mine was once sent to the corner shop for a pint of pigeons milk, he asked the shop keeper and he laughed and said" I think you have been had young man!"
Very pink face and I think the person who sent him must have been a relation of yours.
Blossom
Have enjoyed catching up but was sooo looking forward to having an orange tinged lemon in my G & T on Friday I am now dissappointed.
Many is the time I have longed for a ground force team to visit in my previous gardens they were all seriously neglected when we bought but luckily this one is lovely and I am really enjoying watching what comes up this first season as it was bare when we moved in.
F### the poor badgeryourself...I have no idea but I shall send HIM into ask workmates if they know I think perhaps it may be a play on Blair as in Tony therefore supporters of Blair or theBritish in general.. however willl attampt to seek out and find meamwhile am very flatered that you have printed off 22 pages and are going to bed to giggle!
I'm afraid, or pleased, to say, it wasn't a wind up, though you may have thought it was at the time. The Normandy lemon does, in fact, exist, or did exist up until about roughly 40 years ago, and you were very lucky to have seen an example.
Post-war French gardeners and fruiterers, desperately short of produce after the German occupation, sought to re-stock their crops and managed to create hybrids of fruits that were able to grow in less than sunny climes, as I'm sure you'll agree that Normandy has.
The Normandy Lemon, along with the Fraisenberry (a plum-strawberry hybrid), was one of the successful, though somewhat short-lived, results. Its decline came through over-zealous production and the onset of global warming in the early 1960s; a tree bred specifically for growing in a humid and cool environment does not take well to meteorological changes, and thus stocks and orchards dwindled and eventually all but disappeared.
"Les pommiers et leur neo-voisins du nord-ouest de la France" is a book from the 1970s which describes this fecund period of agricultural growth and innovatism in the variously war-ravaged regions of France, and if you like I can try to scan the relevant pages and send them to you.
That aside, another excellent blog, by the way.
Wonderful Fennie, do you think she ever twigged? Pity it wasnt' happening on April 1st.
Post a Comment