Friday, 25 May 2007

MY WEEK - WALNUTS, HONEY BUT NO WINE

Tree
Each morning I go to look at the little walnut sapling I brought back from the Auverne. Having survived being uprooted from the old tin bath in which it had germinated, the journey back to Blighty wrapped in sacking, and being over-wintered in some very acid compost, which rotted away its few remaining roots, I finally planted it on the lawn as part of the recent gardening operations, where it now stands like an accusing finger.

This week - we are in late May - it put out its first tentative shoot, low down on what one day may be called a trunk. Well, walnuts are not the earliest of birds.

What is curious is that the shoot - completely formed with leaves - is so small that you almost need a magnifying glass to see it. Even on my twig like tree it is disproportionately miniature - like those infant arms that bud out of the mighty chest of Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Moreover, despite my daily coaxing the shoot shows no sign of actually getting any bigger. Other buds are bursting now; I wait with anxiety to see whether they will produce anything bigger. I do hope it grows - for I have pledged it as part of the 'Plant a Billion Trees' campaign. My (very little) bit to help save the planet.

Regime
I am on a new regime - I have forsaken my usual welcome glass with my supper and replaced it with water. This is a great sacrifice.

But having again put on a few pounds in as many days on my recent trip to France, I felt I had to do something drastic. I have always found alcohol to be a great appetiser and after a glass or two I am always hungrier than before.

So after a week of drinking fizzy water what has happened? Well, the weight has come down (a bit) but the biggest change has been an absence of that bloated feeling after eating: the feeling that someone has opened a valve in your feet and your energy has just poured out on the floor.

Usually after supper, I just want to relax, to read the paper or just potter about in the garden. Anything else demands real effort. Now I have regained that energy. Last night I was out cutting the grass until almost dusk.

Funny how these things creep up on you. Alcohol (in moderation) never used to have the effect of knocking me out - of leaving me feeling zonked - especially when I've had a hard day. If suddenly you started feeling zonked after a couple of glasses, you would, I suppose, stop immediately. But when the effect is gradual and irregular you simply accept it as normal. I suppose its age.

I don't intend to give up completely. We have a big barbecue planned on Saturday to celebrate the made-over garden. I shall make sure I indulge then. Wouldn't want to lose the habit after all.

Farm Shop
There's a new Farm Shop just opened in the lovely Vale village of Peterston-super-Ely. J and I have been over there a couple of times. It is full of lovely produce: locally grown vegetables, some of them organic, that remind me of the market gardens of my childhood. They also make quite gorgeous ice cream, marketed under the 'Wild Fig' brand, which left me thinking at first that their display must be very dull with only one flavour. Not true of course, and there are tables to sit outside in the sunshine while you eat it.

But the loveliest things in the whole shop are the jars of honey. For £28 you can buy a great Winnie-the-Pooh size pot of honey. The pot is glass (so you can see there is honey all the way down) and has a great honeycomb in it. The honey inside is a glorious amber through which the sunlight filters and refracts like a crystal. There must be at least a kilo of honey in each pot - but I could never dip into it; the honey pot is simply far too beautiful. Now all I need is £28.

10 comments:

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Don't fennie I am so deperate for a walnut tree I love them and swoon with jelousy when every other house here has one!! They take so long to mature!

As for the wine, I know I ought to giveit up but keep telling myself it is good for teh digestion!!

Bluestocking Mum said...

Just thinking about that honey-I bet it is glorious.

You are very good with the alcohol. 2-3 glasses a night is my vice I am afraid. It will be good to detox for a while even if you don't stop completely.

LOved your descriptions of the tree-and T rex analogy.

warm wishes

Chris Stovell said...

We have been anxiously watching a liquidamber tree we planted last year wondering if it survived the winter and have just been rewarded with new shoots. Well done on the wine!

Cait O'Connor said...

I think alcohol does make you sleepy. I have one Guinness or one glass of wine when I feel like it. Both meant to be good for you in modertation. Or if I am celebrating I would have a few more of course. You have obviously detoxed nicely.
Caitx

Suffolkmum said...

I do love honey, the jars sound glorious. Funnily enough I have given up my nightly couple of glasses too, for exactly the same reasons. I stoppd just because it was getting a bit too much of a habit - and I am honestly amazed at the different energy levels I've been feeling. Won't give up completely though - but every now and then I'll have little breaks! I love walnut trees too, we used to have a lovely one in our last house, we have planted a sapling too.

muddyboots said...

my grandaprents had a walnut tree in their garden, & it had nuts on too.

Anonymous said...

This is a me too moment, as I've given up alcohol, don't drink wine any way, but my G&T and beer habit, just to 1st July ans I've been mowing 'til dusk too. The honey sounds great

Pondside said...

The honey sounds yummy - we're heading out to the once-a-month community market and I think I'd better buy some Fireweed Honey. I can just taste tomorrow's toast, dripping with butter and honey!
re the wine - you are noble!! I know that I should do the same. The Great Dane and I polished of a bottle last night, but we started early with a glass each on the lawn, so there were no ill effects. It does put the weight on me though, which should be enough of an incentive!

countrymousie said...

Walnut Trees - I have an dad obsessed with the things - he is always propogating and growing from walnuts the blessed things. I even have to write to the RHS for advice on occasion - French, English I am now a bit of a swot.
Honey - I love honey.
Dont drink much cept champagne.
Enjoyed catching up with you.
Saw a jar of honey yesterday shaped like a bear - just like when we were little.

annakarenin said...

Mmm quite like the soporiphic effect and it does mean I sleep like a log despite youngests best efforts so maybe I won't give it up quite yet.
Loved the Cheshire cat blog and must take his advice and more to the point get some of my family to do likewise!!