The heavy rain on Sunday had churned the drive into the Hay Festival car park into a rich red mud. By the time we had crossed the field and entered the site a fair bit of it was still attached to our shoes. The Festival was in full swing, this being the bank holiday, the events sold out. Bigger than ever seemed the tent city, complete with those vertical flags that seem to have come from the Mongolian steppes. And everywhere hordes of people. Wherever do they all come from, I hear myself thinking?
I love the Hay Festival for it is an easy, forgiving sort of place where the more eccentrically you dress the more intelligent you are deemed to be. As someone who has never mastered the essential elements of looking smart I am in my element. I am windblown, dressed in a suede coat with mock fur (it was very windy) my shoes covered in mud. Thus I stumble into the administration offices in search of tickets to hear the war correspondent, Patrick Coburn, being interviewed by Rosie Boycott about his Baghdad experiences.
I am loosely attached to some minor UNESCO Committee or other and, rather at my suggestion, I'm afraid, we were supposed to be sponsoring Patrick's talk but somewhere along the line the wires became crossed and we found that we weren't after all. Someone else had got in before us, or after us. Usually sponsorship is so desperately sought after that it is a surprise to find that it has become a species of competitive event. Still, the organisers had apologised and gamely said we could have our ticket allocation. The only trouble was that no one could find these tickets allegedly endorsed for our benefit.
'Never mind, we have briefed the steward' someone said mysteriously.
So under her beady eye, we go and sit in the sponsor's seats, all five of us, wondering who we might have displaced, when who should arrive with another party but Simon Scharma, - the charismatic tele-historian. He of the doom-laden voice. Oh dear, I thought.
But I needn't have worried. The stewards quickly ushered the Scharma party into some casual chairs (perhaps meant for us) set randomly at the side of the auditorium and the show began. Tee-hee, I thought, I shall never be able to look at him again without thinking of the time I pinched his seat.
Patrick Coburn has been travelling the Middle East since 1978. He got into Bagdad just before the invasion and has stayed there, on and off, for much of the time since. He was lucid, incisive and presented a horrifying picture of daily life in Iraq in the years following the invasion. He ground no axes, just told the tale of what he saw and tried to explain some of the tribal, religious and political complexities.
Rosie Boycott adeptly set him talking. (I was relieved to see that she also had decided that the windblown, hedge-backwards look was in vogue at this year's Festival). Much of what he said appears in his book, called simply 'The Occupation,' copies of which he signed in the bookshop after the event.
I'm a sucker for signed copies. Authors usually made a great fuss when doing this, but he signed mine with little more than a grunt of acknowledged thanks when I said that I had enjoyed his talk. Maybe he thought me a sycophant.
But I had wanted to ask him why? Not why he might dread sycophants but why he should choose of his own free will to report from surely the most dangerous place for journalists in the world. What drives him, I wonder, other than a secret and cruel death wish?
When I got home I went for a long walk to reflect. Arriving at the top the old Roman road my path was blocked by a car in which a young couple appeared engaged in vigorous copulating operations. What they thought they were doing in such a public spot on a Bank Holiday I have no idea. They couldn't have been local.
Still I guess we've all been there at some time in our lives so I made an elaborate pretence of looking at the ground and by taking the far path managed to avoid passing the car too closely and instead skirted the copse on the far side.
Partly I was considering how I might save some money from the incessantly increasing household budget, which left to its own devices for the past few months has expanded skywards with enthusiasm. How can I cut back our expenditure? Well, one thing, I suppose, might be to stop buying author-signed books at £15.99 a throw. But then I do so love books. It's always like that isn't it?
The joys of book club
-
When we moved here, in June 2022, we met various lovely neighbours
including a couple along the road who have been here much longer than we
have but are ...
1 year ago

12 comments:
Hello from New York.
One of these days I would love to go to the Hay Festival.
I do thank you for letting me have a taste of it. (The mud makes it seem a bit like when I went to Woodstock.)
Doesn't it seem odd that a journalist would sort of close himself off from his readers? I also wonder how they can go to those places, see what they see, write well about it, and even try to return to "home." Maybe that return is getting more difficult for some. Tom Aspell is one of my favorite war correspondents.
Gosh, I could go on quite a bit but won't right here.
I will try to remember to re-connect in weeks to come.
Cheers.
Sounds superb fennie I wish I had been there.I too am a sucker for books signed or otherwise, I suspect Amazon online may be a device of satan it is so tempting to far flung expatslike myself who can't get to real bookshops to vent their passion and certianly can't get to Hay!
Have you read The Bookseller of Kabul by Anse Seierstad ? I should say if not ask at your local library rather than tempt you to buy it!
I'd love to go to Hay one year too. I spend far too much on books too, I always tell myself it doesn't really 'count', but of course it does ... interesting comments about war reporters. How bizarre of that couple, it sounds slightly public, maybe that was the point!!
Oops I have never heard of the Hay Festival....now I feel really uncultured! Dress code sounds right up my street.
I'd love to go to the Hay Festival but I think I read the wrong newspaper!
Up here in Northumberland we have a Hay Competition - seriously.
The Hay Festival sounds like something I'd really like - and with my clothes sense I'd look extremely intelligent!
re budgetary challenges....what about charging those 'from away' couples a fee for going at it in thier car on your property. It's a win-win situation - they get some security and privacy but retain the titillating seclusion of the car. You get some extra money but none of the hassle of B&B.
I still haven't been to Hay so it I must definitely make the effort next year. I've certainly got the hair for it these days!!
Where do you look when faced with a car of courting couples, we get loads round here, difficult to know what to tell the kids, although they have it sussed now, Are you be any chance a Phoenix, just noted that you run a small stationery business from home, thats how I used to decribe myself, when I was a phoenix
I love Hay! J and I go there regularly for a "fix", and the drive is so lovely from here. Have never gone during the festival, though, as it is always soooo busy and I'm not one for hustle. So, thanks for taking me there!xx
From the interest expressed it sounds as if we should have a purplecooers meet-up next year at the Festival:)
Caitx
Fennie I was tagged, don't ask dear, and have now taged 6 other people. It was meant to be five but quite frankly I shall do as I please! Then in the middle of the night I suddenly thought, "I shall tag Fennie" so here you are dearest you have been tagged. Go to my new blogsite via my profile, it is called "The other Side of me" and you will get the drift of what one is meant to do.. Of fyou fo now.
Glad to see you back Fennie!Still going strong but have new laptop so am fighting agaisnt it, it takes such a long time to break these new things in!! Still can't find speach marks anywhere!
saturday 16th Juin 2007
Post a Comment