I have just finished writing a fairly dull piece about an arcane aspect of Europana, enlivened only by a reference to Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island. I am not sure what my transcontinental readers will make of this. Can one quote Treasure Island in serious articles? I'll have to wait to see my editor's reactions. But she is used at least to my little idiosyncrasies and is usually obliging when it comes to indulging them.
I suspect that fifty years ago there wouldn't have been a problem. Everyone knew Treasure Island - the story was fed into you along with mother's milk, or if not mother's milk exactly then certainly by the time you had graduated to jelly and peanut butter sandwiches.
My mother used to claim that she re-read Treasure Island once a year. I think she exaggerated somewhat. It's easy to do. If someone asked me I would probably say the same thing. Certainly, I read a part of Treasure Island every year even if I don't read all of it, prompted by the half memory of some phrase that breaks loose deep within the subconscious and comes bubbling to the surface.
There are just so many wonderful lines. "Many's the long night I've dreamed of cheese, toasted mostly," says the maroon, Ben Gunn. "It was a master-surgeon, him that ampytated me - Latin by the bucket, and what not; but he was hanged like a dog, and sun-dried like the rest, at Corso Castle," says Silver. "Pieces of Eight," shrieks Captain Flint, the parrot. The book is a triumph of language, of characterisation, of adventure.
But these days we seem to have sunk to the depressing belief that all that rests in a book is a story which you can see as well or better on film, with real people, islands, ships, gold. For all its millions, Pirates of the Caribbean is simply dull. The language is missing and so is the imagination and anyway the film characters are plastic and trite.
How many film lines can you remember? When I've done 'Play it, Sam' and 'Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn,' I'm scratching my head.
Times2 this week carried a report of a survey of parents by MyVoice, which suggested that 40 per cent of parents aged 30 and under with young children can no longer recite a single popular nursery rhyme all the way through. By contrast only 13 per cent of parents over the age of 65 failed the same task. Younger parents have, so the pollster's Mr Ian Davidson told The Times, taken to singing pop songs and television theme tunes instead.
This is all intensely depressing - a sign that the process of de-civilisation is well under way. The Times did not have to wheel out Dr Janine Spencer from Brunel University to tell us that nursery rhymes can help children develop communication, memory, language and reading skills and can also teach a bit of history, though even for the most precocious toddler, the latter is surely stretching a point.
A reader wrote in to say that Humpty Dumpty, which we all thought was some species of egg, was actually a cannon mounted on the ramparts of Colchester by the Royalist Army when the town was besieged by Parliamentarians during the Civil War. The Parliamentarians fired at the wall beneath the cannon apparently and down Humpty Dumpty duly fell, whereupon all the King Charles' horses and all the King's men……well, you get the picture.
Certainly I learnt all my nursery rhymes, before moving rapidly on to the general corpus of Beatrix Potter, AA Milne, and Edward Lear, represented in my ever childlike mind by Squirrel Nutkin, Winnie-the-Pooh and the Pobble who had no toes.
Later there was Lewis Carroll - curiouser and curiouser - and then the hurly-burly of Enid Blyton. My children cut their reading teeth on a similar diet and if either or both of them ever oblige me with the odd grandchild I shall ensure that he or she is similarly launched on the world.
Because what Dr Spencer did not mention in her lament is the commonality that such a corpus of literature gives us. We all need to feel part of society and what better way than by rehearsing what we have all, rich and poor, learnt together as children?
There is not much point in my mentioning Treasure Island if the majority of readers haven't a clue what I am talking about. As we get older we all develop different interests, different sorts of entertainment appeal: books, films, sports and so forth. But as children we are more or less in the same boat. You may have no interest in soft puddings; I may have no interest in cricket or racing - but maybe both of us remember 'Fifteen men on a dead man's chest - yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.'
Once this commonality was provided by religion - at one time we all knew our Bibles. And the people of Shakespeare's day, for instance, were certainly sufficiently familiar with the characters and stories from Greek and Roman legend for him to be able to populate his works with references that today require an extensive footnote followed by a cup of tea and a long delve in Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable.
But all this has long gone and now it seems that children's literature is going the same way. The written word, is being shorn of its references to childhood, like one of Bo Peep's lost flock. It's all rather sad and we - and our children - are the poorer for it.
The joys of book club
-
When we moved here, in June 2022, we met various lovely neighbours
including a couple along the road who have been here much longer than we
have but are ...
1 year ago

9 comments:
I do agree and in many ways the sheer magic has gone. Then of course along came the political correctness - Baa Baa green sheep! Noddy could no longer get into bed with Big Ears. Thomas was out of favour for pushing his 'female' carriages around.
But I have to differ on Pirates of the Caribbean - which I loved and can quote many lines from it. I personally though Mr Depp created a wonderful in depth character very different from the 2D characters we are used to. So best we agree to disagree on that one.
Thank you again for your piece on the old skool - it was so emotive and summed up how I felt.
A very interesting blog. Of course these days our children are blighted with political incorrectness as westerwitch has previously pointed out. It takes the sting out of nursery enjoyment and limits our children's entertainment somewhat.
Crystal xx
I must admit to 'indoctrinating' all 6 of my grandchildren with as many rhymes as I can remember and, I am happy to say, I have often heard my grown up children telling the little ones the rhymes I taught them and my own mother and grandmothers taught me.
I guess I should write them down as some of the rhymes and ditties I have never heard from any other source. Thankyou for giving me the idea.
I agree with your every word. And being a librarian all these things so close to my heart.
Caitx
I think it is so sad that so much of what makes up a culture can disappear so quickly - and I do think that nursery rhymes and the songs that generations have sung are rapidly fading in memory. Here in Canada we have had the great French Immersion experiment, in which the ultimate goal of the entire educational experience of 12 years is to turn out a French speaking anglophone Canadian. In the end what we have is a generation that is deprived in two languages - the stories and songs that school children have been taught for generations are in English, so they have gone by the wayside - and the French experience is a new curriculum, developed just for immersin and lacking in any of the traditional Quebecois touchstones that contribute to that rich culture. I know what I'm talking about as I had children in both the regular system and in immersion.
I am just getting started on the Nursey Rhymes again with the Heiress - we will also do Noddy, Big ears, Rupert - I was never Politically correct and cant change now.
Alan Coren, Libby Purves and Fen Somerville - three writers able to skilfully and eloquently propound an idea and present their thoughts and conclusions in a pleasing and thought-provoking manner.
Thank you.
And I've learnt about Humpty Dumpty, too - why was that name coined, I wonder? Although the Wikipedia reference does give other options for the source of the rhyme.
What a wonderful blog, Fennie.... it has enriched my evening! I have just finished reading John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things and have loved re-reading the old fairy stories that inspired it... Nursery rhymes are a logical extension and I adore them. I didn't know about Humpty Dumpty so thank you for that - Adrian will be delighted to hear it has a military basis.... My favourite, I think, is Goosie Goosie Gander, followed by Sing a Song of Sixpence...
Now Treasure Island I confess I haven't read.....I think that, when I was young, it was considered a 'boy's book'....maybe I need to pinch James' copy and educate myself. I didn't mind the first Pirates film but the other two were truly execrable (sp?).... who's your feature for?
jxxx
From a very early age here the children are taught, at school French poems of varying degrees of inteelctual content and humour, it is considered a splenedid way to excercise and train brains. Over the years I have desparired a teh number of parents who have approached me for hlep re thier childrens lack of reading prowess and then are shocked when I suggest they may like to read to their kids themselves!!
Literature and a shared cultural bookcase is part of civillisation.. Quote treasure Island with your dying breath Fennie I am right behind you!!
Ps I knew Humptyu Dumpty.. read Opies derivations of nursery rymes... none of them will ever be the same again!!
Post a Comment