Friday, 23 November 2007

REFLECTIONS ON A MID-WALES DRIVE




I had a long drive to make last week - up to Caersws in Mid Wales - and on one of those perfect autumn mornings that seems to call you to make a start just as soon as it is light enough to tip jugs of warm water over the car’s frozen windows.

It was a simple drive, up the A470, the ‘spine’ road of Wales that runs supposedly from north to south, except that it is not a single road but a collection of bits and pieces, cobbled together on the map, no doubt, by some enterprising engineer sitting in a London office in the 1920s without much else to do. All the same it makes for easy navigating.

The route traverses magnificent scenery and on this morning of sharp frost and bright sunshine, the countryside white with ice crystals, the air still, the sky blue and almost cloudless, the light translucent and brittle, every feature was thrown into the sharp relief.

Passing Garnant lake in the Brecon Beacons National Park the black water shimmered smooth as glass. Away on the far side a patch of mist floated ethereally a foot or two above the surface in the crisp morning stillness. I reflected how timeless this scene looked, how it would have been instantly recognisable to our ancestors two thousand years before. Indeed how Celtic it appeared, with its themes of water, air, light, mountains.

So strong was this resonance that I half expected to see though that patch of mist an arm rising out of the lake holding a jeweled sword - beckoning to a future King - and an old man in a wizard’s hat sitting on the bank.

I progressed onwards - and as far as Wales was concerned - upwards towards the softer Montgomeryshire landscape. The temperature dropped steadily. Passing Cardiff it had been 2 degrees. At Merthyr Tydfil it had dropped to zero, was minus one at Becon and minus two at Builth, where the River Wye tumbles along among the boulders of the river bed.

Near Rhayader, with the temperature still falling, a large raptor, flapped lazily out of a wood and laboured slowly across the road in front of me with the unconcern of an elderly pedestrian oblivious to the traffic. For a second or two the bird was a few feet from my windscreen; I could see every detail of its markings and its long yellow legs that trailed behind it. I took it to be a honey buzzard, but my bird knowledge is scant and it may well have been something far more exotic. Anyway it seemed to know it was a protected species and I found myself braking hard to avoid it.

I was meeting UNESCO colleagues in a small country hotel - one of those interminable all day meetings that seem to characterize anything to do with government. To remain alert is an effort, so I was happy to be distracted by an urgent message on my mobile. I excused myself from the table and went to stand beside an eternal window to make a call.

Then I noticed a robin, hovering at the height of my nose, a foot away on the other side of the glass, its feathers puffed up against the cold. Some see robins as birds of ill omen - but the poor little beastie just seemed to me cold and thin - envious of the warmth and plenty inside. So I filched one of the hotel’s biscuits and went outside where the robin had been and left the biscuit broken up on an old flower pot. I hope the robin found it.

Eventually the meeting ended and I went out to the car park through the bar, which seemed strangely full for the late afternoon in those underpopulated parts. I first noticed the tipplers’ boots. Most sported those expensive and superior Wellingtons with straps and buckles of the sort favoured by shooting parties and similar folk. There was a press of male laughter, loud, slightly aggressive, which made me feel uncomfortable and on which I was happy to shut the door.

This was indeed a shooting party. Rows of bright autumn pheasants hung in braces over the car park railings beside the mud-spattered Landrovers and 4 x 4s, in the gathering twilight.

Shooting always induces a conflict in me. My head tells me that I would far rather be reincarnated as a pheasant and take my chance with the flying lead than to be a battery chicken. Still less a sow, tethered in a concrete stall. I know that shooting is an important source of countryside income and that the destruction it causes is balanced by a considerable amount of conservation. I know that the pheasants are raised and so in no danger of extinction.

But my heart always winces when I see a beautiful cock pheasant tumbled out of the sky and lying dead and bloodied on the ground while fat business men with more money than sense stand jesting around it.

10 comments:

Elizabethd said...

What a lovely drive. I spent a holiday in the Brecon beacons, such a beautiful place.
hope the poor little robin found his crumbs....how sweet of you !

Norma Murray said...

I don't know Wales very well, I'm more of a Scotland person, but your description of the journey you made, makes me realize what I'm missing.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Loved this post too Fennie. The description of the autumn morning made me want to get up and out on the road myself.
I know just what you mean about the mixed reactions to shooting. I suspect my reservations are pretty much entirely some form of snobbery (or inverted snobbery) about the kind of people who do it. I don't really have a problem with people who have been brought up to it but am not at all comfortable with the corporate types. My prejudice, no doubt.

Anonymous said...

The farmer is in a shooting syndicate and has been since he was 17, that's 41 years. I remember when I had to get used to that way of life which at first I found slightly barbaric. Now, however, it's part of the countryside. The people is his syndicate are pure down to earth types, mostly farmers and game keepers. They do invite the odd big wigs but I've never really noticed any snobbery.

Your description of the journey was beautiful.

Crystal xx

Sam Fox said...

Fennie what a lovely blog - I was with you all the way along the road, and the magic of Wales captivated me, I know one day I will come and visit this mystical land... I know just what you mean about the pheasants, too - they are such pretty birds, and I hate to see their little lives snuffed out for some git to lift a gun and shoot, and then call himself a "hunter" - the most excerise these people get is in the bar lifting the scotch to their flabby, baying lips. I too, suffer with some inverted snobbery, I'm afraid!!! Forgive me if I offend, but that is how I feel.

Sam Fox said...

I should perhaps add an aside to my comment that here in NZ pheasant shoots are very much the "pleasure pursuit" of the wealthy - it costs a huge wodge to go on a shoot, I've seen a doco on telly recently, they are driven to the pheasants in posh 4x4's, and then handed the loaded gun for the shot, once the beaters have sent not one, but a volley of birds up in a thick curtain. They stand in one spot, shoot the poor things, then pile back into the vehicles to be driven back to the luxury lodge for the three or four birds (out of dozens) to be cooked for them, and stand about the fireplace with scotch in one hand, cigar in the other. Certainly bears no resembleance to a country farmer taking some time out early on a Sunday morning to go and bag a few ducks, which is what the ordinary folks do round here.

Pipany said...

I visited the Brecon Beacons this summer for the first time. Absolutely beautiful description Fennie. I know what you mean about the shooting parties; I don't mind at all when locals go on a shoot and actually eat the birds but, like most of us I suspect, I can't beat the ludicrously monied version xx

Suffolkmum said...

This was a beautiful post Fennie, made me want to come to Wales too, and you described that all to familiar conflict over shooting so well. I have a 'gut' reaction to scenes like you described too - definitely some inverted snobbery on my part, and a dislike of men talking loudly and enjoying destruction! I know a few around here and they're not pleasant. But I too am aware that there are many farmers and gamekeepers who're not like that at all. Its big shooting country here and I do feel sad for all those witless birds who forage in our garden, reared to be shot and when they're surplus to requirements just released to meet death on the roads or starve.

Posie said...

Oh there is often a trail of wellies like that at our front door when the gamekeepers call....I get very envious when I compare them to my old leaky boots.

Cait O'Connor said...

I am in agreement with all you say here too Fennie. I also travel along the A470 a fair bit as most people in Wales do I suppose.

I have a little robin outside the library, he feeds from the nuts I have hanging up outside the window.

I'm afraid the pheasants round here are so well fed they can hardly fly and they are tame too. If they are not run over they are destined to be shot. Don't get me started...