Friday, 28 December 2007

Bah Humbug!

Bah Humbug! Christmas is over! Or is it? For sitting in my hall are four boxes of presents all in their bright tinsel wrappings and complete with the buttons and bows that took me until half-past eleven last night to affix: the children's (and the children's partners) presents. Yes, today is another Christmas and day of feasting.

For me this has been a sort of 'before and aft' Christmas, starting with one great family party (over two days) the weekend before and finishing with today's extravaganza. But of course it won't end there, for there will be something no doubt at New Year, followed by something else on New Year's Day and then our traditional Twelfth Night entertainment on 6 January, to test the stomach just when it thought it was recovering.

For the first time that I can remember we actually spent Christmas Day alone this year and it was wonderful! Just to be able selfishly to listen over breakfast to the News Quiz review of the year and then to 'With Great Pleasure' on Radio 4. To be able to cook something simple - we chose to have a venison casserole - and afterwards to curl up with a Christmas present book. Knowing my love of history, J had bought me 'The Other Boleyn Girl' - the fascinating account of Anne Boleyn's younger sister. In the evening we watched 'Love Actually' - not the greatest of films, indeed positively silly and cringe worthy in many places, but infused with such happiness as to make almost perfect entertainment.

All of which prompts me to ask - what, exactly is Christmas for? Now that may sound like the sort of question asked by every vicar in every pulpit at some point in the festive season - but Christmas, in Britain at least, ceased long ago to have any relation to the religious festival that is held confusingly at the same time and under the same name.

The religious festival I can understand - it is the rest of it that has left me grasping for the plot in a manner that happens frequently when I am trying to follow Midsomer Murders. What are we all really trying to do - for what happens in my experience bears as little relation to the ostensible objective of 'having fun' as ice and snow on Christmas cards do to the mild wetness of a south British December.

I mean if you are really wanting to eat well - then why on earth eat Turkey, which is held in such low esteem the rest of the year that it is one of the cheapest meats you can buy? Do people's taste buds become anaesthetised in December so that cardboard tastes suddenly succulent?

And why if we are wanting to enjoy a family day do we so arrange to eat and drink ourselves into a kind of stupor, sometimes even before we sit down? In the middle of the day excess alcohol is just about the biggest antidote to pleasure that it is possible to imagine

Presents are supposed, one imagines, to give pleasure both to the giver and the receiver. But frequently it seems the only person that benefits is the shopkeeper.

The value of a present does not lie in its bigness, or brashness or even its price; it lies in how appropriately it fills some little niche in the receiver's life. There are few people who know how to give presents. Whole books ought to be devoted to this for most of us are hopeless at it. How often do we ask - what would you like for Christmas? - worse we give our families vouchers and tell them to choose a present for themselves - a classic opt-out from the difficult, though rewarding business, of present choosing.

That defeats the whole object of a present, which is the surprise and delight at receiving something, however small, that you would never have thought of buying for yourself but which is so geared to one's fancies that it is precisely 'right.'


My neighbour, Annie, who happens to be French, is an expert at this. She doesn't buy much - but everything usually turns out to be a delightful surprise. Somehow she manages to tune in to some inner need and suddenly there is something priceless in the foil wrapping.

14 comments:

Frances said...

Lots of wise words in that blog!

It has been enlightening to watch the behavior of folks from the vantage point of a shop manager. Especially during the past month, both customers and staff members have had their edgy moments, driven by all sorts of motivations.

Some jolly times, some not quite so jolly.

On to January....

xo

Faith said...

Good blog Fennie. I thought Ann was the younger Boleyn girl and Mary was older? But no doubt you are right. I'd like to read that book too.

We caught some of Love Actually - had seen it before. I like it, actually! Completely ridiculous but Christmassy fun!

Does Christmas in Britain really bear no relation to the religious festival? I suppose it depends who is pondering the subject. It does to me. My aim was to give the kids, esp my husband's 3, a settled, traditional, festive, enjoyable family day and I think I succeeded. This to me - giving to others - combines the true meaning of Christmas with all the consumer part.

As to having fun, on Christmas Day at one point when they all for some reason seemed entranced with Finding Nemo, I was so bored I went out and pooper-scooped the lawn!

Enjoy the rest of your celebrations.

Cait O'Connor said...

I so agree with your sentiments Fennie. This season send me into some kind of depressed state actually and I know I am not alone. I feel we should be aspiring towards the spreading of goodwill all the year and making the best of each moment and let's face it we all eat well whenever we want,we are so lucky. I hate enforced anything, jollity included.
Having said that I would love to be like Annie re. present choosing!
Stop me now.....

Casdok said...

You raise some very interesting points!!

Grouse said...

I just love Xmas decorations and would have them up from November to March. I love us all having time off together and a couple of days when we get the farm chores done then flop in front of the fire with a film. We dont eat Turkey!I love buying Xmas presents!

But I loathe the tyranny of Xmas for those who dont- or cant- enjoy it.

Pondside said...

I've read 'The Other Bolyn Girl' and loved it. Give me history or historical biography any day! Christmas for me is all about the quiet times - when there is no sound of cars on the road, when no one has to go out to work, when leftovers are the best meals. Like Grouse, I have a lot of sympathy for those who feel pressured by the holiday.

CAMILLA said...

I agree with what you say Fennie.

Christmas is a time to celebrate, but it is sadly too commercialised now, some forget about the under priveliged, we need to be spreading our love around the world to the less fortunate.

I do love the presenting of gifts though Fennie. A lovely blog Fennie, all best wishes to you for the New Year ahead.

Camilla.xx

Kitty said...

Do agree with you about Christmas - we eat so much we can hardly move, or even enjoy it properly - all that hard work is not exactly wasted but ... and so much stress beforehand for what is just an orgy of excess.

My favourite gift was a tiny, beautiful pot of lemon and geranium lipbalm from H's headteacher - a thank you for my help in school. It would only have cost a couple of pounds, but it showed thought and was a true surprise. You don't need to spend lots of money to delight the receiver of the gift - just a bit of thought.

Pipany said...

Excellent blog fennie. Apparently The Other Boleyn Girl is being made into a film as we speak. Quite a story isn't it? xx

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Great blog. I very much agree that Christmas can be lovely (as per Grouse) or can be pressured and uncomfortable. We always have a tension in our house between my liking of Christmas and my husband, with a different childhood and history, not really liking it much at all. We have muddled along to a fairly low key Christmas which is usually pretty enjotable for all.
Have read and loved the book too!

Exmoorjane said...

I think poor Christmas gets terribly confused as it is a Christian festival laid over a pagan feast so inevitably there is a slightly schizophrenic aspect to it...I love it, but hate the consumer frenzy and the ridiculous expectation of 'the perfect Christmas'.....
Happy New Year! Jxx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Oh, Fennie - I think you've hit so many nails on the head here. I sort of imagine the purpose of Christmas (not being religious, you see) as harking back to ancient soltice festivals and trying to inject some brightness and jollity into what has always been the darkest point of the year. But you're so right about the present-giving thing. I hate it when people ask me what I want for Christmas - I don't "want" anything, as such. However I do have a very dear friend who is excellent a choosing just the right thing, which is always an unexpected delight. It's the thought, as they say, that counts. Yes - I think there's a gap in the market for a present-buying book!

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Wise words Fennie! I have been threatening for yers to write a book on what really cosntitutes a good christmas or birthday gift for the men in our lives to read adn learn from. Trouble is of ocurse what is fine for one would drive another to distraction. I do however love your chpice of reading matte4r as ever and have read 'The Other Boleyn Girl', not sure how factual it may be seen tobe but enjoyed it none the less.

Anonymous said...

"Something that fills some little niche in the receivers life" how appropriate that statement is, I am happy to report i have received a couple of these, sadly just as many that I am wondering what to do with