Friday, 18 January 2008

A TOUCH OF THE BLUES


After last week’s frustrating affair of the bathroom tap*, I am left a trifle curmudgeonly towards the world and its works this morning. “You are feeling vexed and sad,” I said as I lay in a post-alarm snooze preparing to haul myself from the womb-like embrace of the duvet. “Do something about it!”

But now that I have had time to reflect, ‘doing something about it’ is indeed at least part of the problem. I have been trying to ‘do something about it’ ever since January 1st - though the ‘it’ that I am trying to do something about now comes in more guises than an oriental genie.

Such new found determination would be commendable if one were actually succeeding in the doing department, but as often as not by the mid-January start of the Islamic new year I am left contemplating a sorry wreckage of abandoned good intentions, made in haste and now being forgotten, if not repented of, at leisure.

That waist line which I promised myself would in a few short weeks be again svelte and elegant, (once, I remind myself incredulously, I had a 26 inch waist) stubbornly refuses to pay any attention to scientific efforts to change my eating habits, while my time discipline - the promise to find an hour for reading, relaxation, exercise, cooking and what not, is already a broken casualty of the unexpected. The more I push, the more it seems the world pushes back. Vexing indeed, and enough to send even the brightest souls in search of the chemical happiness of a St John’s Wort tablet.

Having agreed, for instance, in a misplaced spirit of festive generosity to provide house room for my friend Helen’s elderly and incontinent bitch while she herself was on holiday, I spent the first few days cleaning up not only the inevitable damp patch, but full blown puddles as well. Avoiding further mishaps necessitated a work-interrupting trek into the garden mud every few hours, which left me momentarily debating whether puddle or mud damage was easiest to clear from the carpet. My brisk New Year Resolution to become a better housekeeper with a prettier, more comfortable house, lies in tatters.

My newly pledged bedtime reading is looking equally forsaken. Instead of happily reading for half an hour before lights out, I don a thick coat and boots and parade up and down in the cold rain on the soaking night-time grass until the wretched animal has ‘performed’ and I can retreat safely to the welcoming lights of civilisation.

As if this wasn’t vexing enough I had another touch of the blues when Helen’s son arrived to collect the dog after her ‘holiday’. I should have been happy that, this time, once the carpets had been dysoned they would stay dysoned, at least for a few days, and that I would at last be able to make serious progress in catching up with those improving literary periodicals like the Spectator and the London Review of Books.

But with typically female contrariness I found that I was not happy at all. With no dog to wind herself around my legs and halt uncannily in whichever doorway I intended to pass through forcing me to buffet her aside with my knee while trying not to spill hot tea along her back, the house suddenly seemed curiously empty.

There was no big-eyed canine face peering eagerly out of the darkness when I came down to the kitchen each the morning. No dark shape looming behind the glass of the door when I returned from the shops. No rough coat to reach out and stroke, no back to scratch. No one to follow me, thump, thump, up the stairs and down.

Perhaps it is a fancy to pretend that we can accommodate such unexpected events while keeping our Resolutions. Maybe next year there should be no more resolutions, though I suspect that is easier said than done. What after all is one to do in the guilt-tinged euphoria of an otherwise grey year end?

Not all is gloom and doom however, for I was taken to the cinema the other evening by a family friend. “£10.10 for the two,” he said, as I profferred some money for my ticket. And then by way of explanation: “You see I got a concession.”

“You could have got one for me as well”, I said grumpily.

“Mmm,” he mused. “But I never think of you, Fennie, as a concession, you always seem so young.”

“Flatterer!” I thought. Yet isn’t it nice when someone makes your day?

*For those attentive readers agog to know the sequel to my obsolete bathroom tap, I did try Araldite and so far (touches forest!) it is working still.

7 comments:

Norma Murray said...

You could start your resolutions all over again. It's Lent soon. Instead of resolving to do some thing, couldn't you resolve to give something up - like minding that you've given uo on your New Year's Resolutions.
(This made sense to me when I thought it out, though it's not quite right written down. Blast!)

Maggie Christie said...

At least every cloud has a silver lining! It's nice to have a bit of flattery now and again. What film did you see? Don't worry about the resolutions. I turn mine into Monday morning resolutions EVERY week. I usually break them all by Friday, but at least I can start again on Monday! xxPM

Hannah Velten said...

Hardly surprising that you broke your housekeeping resolution...it was the dog's fault not yours! And you did start the year off by doing a good turn for someone, and you enjoyed it really...she does look kinda sweet. So it's not been all bad!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't be without dogs in the house. Their company is second to none. As I am sure was your cinema friend after the flattering comment he made!

Crystal xx

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Mmm, resolutions... Not sure I am doing too well with any of my supposedly achievable ones. Still seem to be having quite a good time though.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Know just what you mean about trying to keep resolutions - still it's good to know we can use the Islamic new year to start afresh. And failing that, I believe the Chinese new year starts some time in February. And I'm sure there must be another one in March if we all looked hard enough. Also know just what you mean about dogs. Lovely as they often are, remember they are a tie and you do have to plan your day around them if you have one all the time - sometimes I think it would be nice to have a dog-share kind of arrangement.

Pleased to hear the Araldite did the trick with the tap. Sometimes the old solutions are the best.

Chris Stovell said...

This struck a chord as I always start New Year with my expectations and goals pitched much too high and then feel gloomy when it's clear I'm not going to make them but, hey!, it's part of the human condition to stumble and fall and pick ourselves up again and you seem to be doing extraodinarliy well to me. More than sticking to goals ' though, you've been kind and generous to a friend so you deserve a pat on the back. How timely that you received the compliment when you deserved it!