Thursday, 21 February 2008

MOST OF THE THINGS WE WORRY ABOUT NEVER HAPPEN

"I'll give you two weeks," he said. "Otherwise I'll have to cut it off."

"But that will mean a new crown! Mike, that's £400!"

"Something like that," he replied airily, with that studied indifference professionals are apt to adopt towards their patients' bank accounts. "I can't leave it like that," he added, just in case I might be having second thoughts. Uh-huh? Since when did my teeth become his teeth, I wondered.

Fresh from the agony of having an implant fitted a few months back - the agony being not so much the physical discomfort as the hole it left in my spending money - here I was knocking on Mike's door again for more of the same.

Mike is relatively new at the practice. He is a fresh-faced earnest, sporty young man who wears trainers and a sort of athletic blue uniform that one imagines dentists might wear in North Korea - that is if they have dentists in North Korea.

He sits me in his chair while I explain that one of my crowns is loose and the tooth underneath objects violently whenever I chew on something harder than a boiled egg. "Has the crown actually come off?" he asks. "Not exactly," I reply opaquely. “Half-off perhaps.”

So Mike tries to remove the half-off crown, using a weird instrument called a 'crown puller' which fits under the rim of the crown. Mike then flicks a brass weight whose momentum is supposed to act as a species of hammer. No joy! He tries heaving with various levers but these don’s shift the crown either. After a quarter of an hour Mike gives up and sends me home to experiment. Which is where we came into this tale.

You can imagine that knowing that it would cost me at least £400 if I failed, my motivation to unstick the sticking cown was high. A series of improbable and dangerous implements began to grace my dressing table. Thread, wire, knives, skewers and needles of various descriptions, pliers and finally a plumbers wrench. But the only success I had was in giving myself toothache.

So in the end I had to confess defeat and resign myself to £400 going down the drain as Mike's electric grinder cut through the dental gold. I was angry at myself and apprehensive at the inevitable pain of the dental operation. I wondered if Mike had forceps? I put the plumbers wrench in my handbag just in case.

So now we're back in the surgery, trying to be positive. "It's much, much looser," I say cheerily. "And you'll save me a ton of money if you can just grab it with forceps and pull."

"Let's give it a last go," says Mike, who I feel at last is on my side.

In case anybody is wondering why the crown would not come off the answer lies in my wisdom teeth. While the rest of me crumbles towards senility, my wisdom teeth are still green and growing. Thirty years ago this one on the lower left was a little tooth bud barely breaking the gum. Now it is a half grown tooth and trying to make room for itself by shoving all the other teeth down the bus, as it were. It had grown over my crown by just enough to stop it coming off.

Mike had another go with his crown puller with no more joy than on the first occasion. Then he filed the side of the wisdom tooth with an emery board. Then he called in Gareth who used to be my dentist thirty years ago and who is now seriously eminent. Pound signs flashed before my eyes.

Gareth dons latex gloves, whereupon the crown - clearly realising that with two dentists at work further resistance would be hopeless - gave up its barnacle operation and popped off, smiling with a sort of 'oh is that what you wanted?’ look.

What lay beneath was a large area of rotten tooth, which he proceeded to drill and fill with the usual dental gusto. But having just saved £400 - Mike upped the ante now by telling me now it would have been £500 - I was so pleased as not to care about the filling, the frozen mouth, the horrid after taste and all that. And at the end - when the girls gave me the bill - I was practically laughing.

Having been prepared for at least two appointments and £400 plus debited to my plastic, I rejoiced to receive something that demanded (only) £130.

Poor Mike did his best to console himself and his loss of business. "Of course, there's just a chance that the tooth may die and then you may need a root canal filling," he said cheerfully. But it should be OK!”

9 comments:

Blossomcottage said...

Like your crown it seems to me that detal charges are a "Moveable Feast" at least you came out with a reduced tooth and a reduced fee, round here they would have charged for two visits and two dentists and I doubt you would have been able to leave the premises for less than £500 smackers, that's where your widom teeth come in, they have clearly given you the wisdom not to live in the South East of England!! Hope it now settles down and gives you no more bother
Blossom

Cait O'Connor said...

Poor you Fennie. I know all about crowns and dentists so empathise with you. Though thank God we live in Wales by the sound of it. Hope all is calm and pain free for you now.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Eeeeeek - Blossom is right moveable feast indeed. Although I am very lucky that we have that rare creature a national health dentist so our costs are less than most.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Oh you gave me the shudders here Fennie and I don't think I am particularly nervous about dentistry. It was the range of implements you used on yourself. glad it came out ok in both senses.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

cringeing well here knowing that mid April I have to undergo the replacement of two crowns and have two bridges built.....quick where's the alcohol stored?

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Sympathies from me, Fennie, where everything toothsome is concerned. Know just what you mean about not knowing which is more painful, the drilling or the billing. Hope that's a (relatively happy) end to the saga.

LBD xx

Milla said...

that was truly horrible. An utter coward when it comes to the dentist. Felt sick reading it - filed off teeth, indeed. And particularly to know that at the end of it is a thumping big bill. E has had several teeth implants. Goodness how he suffered and, yes, thousands a shot.

Pondside said...

No wonder dentists have the highest rate of suicide than any other professional! I too dread the semi annual visit to my dentist. I'm always waiting for the bad news - the work that needs to be done, the bill that needs to be paid. Like you, I don't know what hurts more!

Pipany said...

Blimey Fennie, how brave are you!!! Cringing at the thought here but full of admiration m'dear xx