Thursday, 10 April 2008

ON DREAMS, POLTERGEISTS AND WILTSHIRE





My Great Aunt was the sort of person who saw portents. “I heard the Banshee again last night,” she would intone with a chilling voice, just as the conversation began to flag. “I wouldn’t be surprised if someone doesn’t fall ill very soon. It could be terminal.”

She was, of course, very old. Born in Ireland’s western hinterland in the 1880s. She died over forty years ago, convinced that an admirer from her distant past had somehow tracked her down and come back to claim her. She had bumped into someone, or someone had served her in a shop, and he had looked at her in a kindly, funny, inquisitive way. As that person bore some resemblance to the memory she held of her admirer - she had no photograph - so, it must have been him, however improbable.

This brought her some comfort in the weeks before her (to us) unexpected decease. The memory of my telling her not to be so silly haunts me to this day. St Peter, it seems, had come in person to escort her home. No wonder she grew angry at my rationality.

This recall of Great Aunt’s foibles was prompted by a great crash this morning outside my bedroom door. The noise sounded as if a wild animal, of generous proportions, had attempted to break in. It might, I reasoned, even now be slavering in ravenous anticipation on the other side of the door which I opened gingerly and in some alarm. Fortunately, I encountered no more than a pile of books which had somehow contrived to throw themselves off the top shelf of my bookcase, scattering themselves loudly against the wooden panels of my bedroom door. Is this an omen, I thought, picking up the books and replacing them on the shelf, or am I still dreaming?

For I had just awoken from a particularly vivid dream of being escorted around a country house by the late Alan Clark - he of diary notoriety. Now, I have to confess to being a bit of a fan of the Clark diaries and I keep all three volumes on my shelves. While he was a bounder of the first order, full of loutish and prejudiced opinions and despite much of his behaviour being both juvenile and boorish, he nevertheless wrote with memorable elegance and humour about a very wide range of subjects. He himself may not have been a great charmer but his diaries remind me just how interesting life can be.

Now I doubt if any woman would feel entirely safe alone with Alan Clark, but in this dream I was a member of a group, and though he spent some time talking to me - indeed I felt quite flattered - I managed to hold my own without being overborne.

It was a house that we were looking around, not his castle in Kent. I wondered if it was Seend Manor in Wiltshire, where he lived at one time. I have never so much as been to the village of Seend, though I used to pass the turning for it many times when my father lived in Dorset. Wiltshire villages may have been on my mind as I had read Little Brown Dog’s picturesque description of the one she lives in just a day or two before.

The tour over, we were in the garden through which a stream flowed. I asked AC what it was called. He prevaricated and then said something that sounded like ‘Bulg.’ I have never heard of a stream called ‘Bulg’ - and trying to place it woke me up.

In that half-asleep, half-awake time that followed I tried to remember the names of the houses in the diaries. Try as I might I could not remember the name of the castle in Kent, though the name must occur two hundred times in the books: Sandling? Sandwich? Sandford?

No good, it wouldn’t come. I had to look it up. I went to the bookcase. ‘Saltwood.’ Ah, of course, that was it. I returned to bed.

It was at this point that the crash of books against door occurred. Now the volume I had looked at was on one of the middle shelves of the bookcase, which is in any case screwed to the wall. I didn’t touch anything on the top shelf. Why then should a pile of books dislodge themselves and crash to the floor?

So I began to wonder - am still wondering - whether this unlikely and unexplained event was in any way connected with my dream. I don’t believe in ‘signs’ or ‘portents.’ I will accept poltergeists, and have an idea anyway that this house, may be infected by a feeble and non-malicious species of poltergeist that occasional tricks us into thinking someone is at the front door, or upstairs, when they aren’t.

But books crashing randomly out of bookcases, could become aggravating. Clearly, I shall have to stop reading charming accounts of Wiltshire villages and eat better cheese.

12 comments:

Pipany said...

Great blof Fennie - had a bit of a shiver going up my spine at the idea of a poltergeist, however feeble! Books should learn to stay where placed!!! xx

Pipany said...

I meant blog!

Norma Murray said...

Knowing how he was one for the ladies, you may be in for some very interesting dreams in the near future.

Zoë said...

not sure what is the more scary. Alan Clarke making advances (shudders) or a poltergeist. Think I will opt for the poltergeist!

Lovely read, had me giggling - my grandmother was similiarly batty and would see giant spiders everywhere.

Faith said...

Maybe great aunts have a 'thing' about them - I saw my great aunt's spirit - I think - when I was 9. Creepy blog. I don't know about portents, but that sort of thing scares me too.

Milla said...

I have to admit that I hoped you were going to find one of the books open at a relevant page. Love Alan Clarks, love clever bounders. NOt to be married to, but glad they exist - or existed. Too much grey homogeny otherwise. Great blog - or blof - as usual.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

You had me smiling and nodding here. Know just what you mean about mad aunts (had all of my fair share and loved them to bits and sadly would have been like you and told them not to be silly when I was young and arrogant and unknowing). Alan Clark though? Very funny I agree but the sort of man who makes you feel that as a woman you are more prey than person.

Pondside said...

I have no idea at all of who Alan Clark might be - but a bounder with a castle - only on the British Isles....even your nasty womanizers sound very exotic. Over here he'd own a horrible cabin and reek of woodsmoke and think he was god's gift to women. re the book fall - I think it makes a great story and would like to say that it must be a poltergeist with literary taste.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Mmmmm you just never know for sure do you. Love your feeble poltergeist trying to trick you . . poor thing have pity on it.

Sam Fox said...

Oh-er, Fennie, still I think I would rather battle the books than a slavering monster.... hey you can never say for sure that it was bats in the belfry in your Aunt's case... maybe she was urging you to take time out and do a bit of reading????

Exmoorjane said...

Fabulous blog fennie. I, like Milla, was hoping there would be a pertinent message in one of the books. Now then, of course, the Jungians would say that your dream is all about your inner Alan Clark! Now that is food for thought indeed! jxx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Yes, Fennie - DO COME TO WILTSHIRE! We could probably even supply some cheese - by the way, did you know the saying "different as chalk and cheese" has Wiltshire origins? The south of the county being chalk - all those white horses etched onto the side of the chalk downs - and the north being cheese because of the cattle grazing on the clay plains to the north. AC is of course chalk, whereas I am cheese(although have never been to Seend Manor, do know where it is.)

V enjoyable blog as ever.