
I think all houses should have a window seat, preferably with a handy bookcase close by. To sit there, in the middle of a busy day, idly leafing through the pages of a book, is to find a cultural oasis in the sands of life’s desert. Even simply to look out of the window, watching the passers by, or the birds in the sky, is a haven of tranquility.
In fact, now that I come to think of it, one of my early memories is of sitting in the bow window of the spacious house in which I grew up, reading a book about the Channel Islands. I had picked it out of the bookcase attracted by its handsome blue binding and its title, racily picked out in gold blockwork, which suggested historical romance. So I was disappointed to find that it was only an upmarket travel guide, and quite devoid of musketeers. Still, I persevered in my moment of tranquility when in all probability I ought to have been feeding the pigs.
Had I known it then I could have pleaded efficiency. For I read somewhere that to remain maximally effective throughout a busy day requires periods of complete idleness. I was also in good company as Harold Macmillan, then Chancellor of the Exchequer, did the same thing. Or so I learned later.
He quotes an incident in his autobiography, where, in the midst of some crisis or other, he sat in the Downing Street cabinet room and read Jane Austen for half an hour. That, it seemed, showed a better sense of proportion than the gadarene rush of politicians today. And so it came about that in the middle of a busy day recently, I found myself sitting by the window re-reading Beatrix Potter’s ‘Tale of Pigling Bland.’
In our household Beatrix Potter is read and re-read until the little square books collapse with age and over use. We renew them, I suppose, each generation and the current volumes were bought for Elder and Younger Daughter when they first learned to read, or maybe even before. Their names written in shaky script with an eclectic variety of implements appear on the fly leaves.
Occasionally they would try their infant hands at copying a long word like ‘Tiggywinkle’ - the handwriting starting big and bold and optimistically level. But with the rapid encroachment of the edge of the page, the puffed line of writing would shrink like a deflated balloon, arching downwards in a waterfall of letters. Now Younger Daughter is (officially) pregant we shall have to contemplate buying another set.
You can tell the favourite stories by how well-thumbed they are and if I tell you that the ‘Tale of Pigling Bland’ could almost pass for pristine, it might suggest that it wasn’t as popular as the others. Partly this is because it is possibly the longest of the Potter stories and partly perhaps because it tells an adult and chilling tale.
At its simplest it concerns a family of large white piglets who are dispersed from the farm on which they are born. Two of the pigs, Alexander and the eponymous Pigling Bland are given licences and sent off, amid much tearfulness on the part of the mother pig, Aunt Pettitoes, to market in Lancashire. The two pigs carry provisions and ‘conversation peppermints.’
(Now you may reasonably ask exactly what quality a peppermint requires to make it a ‘conversation’ peppermint - indeed what quality makes for ‘conversation sweeties,’ another term that crops up in the book. I do not know, myself, and so am asking).
Inevitably the two pigs do not make it to market. Alexander, the improvident one, loses his licence and is escorted home by a policeman to be ‘disposed of’ in the neighbourhood. Pigling himself, having lost his way, is kidnapped by a farmer and about to be disposed in a culinary direction when he discovers a similarly aged black Berkshire girl pig (Pig-Wig) in much the same predicament. Together they escape and head for the Westmorland county boundary, which, by a ruse, they manage to cross, hand in hand, to live a life of freedom growing vegetables.
But sitting in the window there re-reading this children’s tale, I found myself asking more than just about ‘conversation peppermints’. For here, surely, are all the mementoes of slavery - of families being broken up - of slaves being prodded and poked and hired in the market. Of licences to travel, and of the tearful mother forced to say goodbye to children whom she will never see again.
Then there is the curious white pig-black pig combination and the escape over some arbitrary line to freedom. Is this not Huckleberry Finn and Jim heading (but not quite reaching) the Ohio river? By the time Beatrix Potter was writing, of course, slavery had been abolished - at least formally. Is this just an innocent children’s tale - or is she trying to say something more, than the usual fable of right and wrong amongst the rabbits and the lettuces? Is this not a plea, disguised as innocent anthropomorphism, in favour of the unity of the human race?
So much to ponder from such a small white square of a book. Yes, get a window seat.
The picture shows Pigling Bland and Pig-Wig contemplating the free hills of Westmoreland

13 comments:
Good evening to you Fennie,
Here I was, thinking that I would just let you know that all those former language skills of mine are going, going, gone ... and then
I see you have written about window seats! The house that my Virginian family lived in at the time that I was learning to read had ... a window seat! So, my early grasp of what letters could lead to was made sitting in a window's light. (My very first beagle puppy came along just a year later. You have triggered some very sweet memories.)
Thank you and xo!
There is nothing quite so welcoming as a window seat, a little private place where one can sit and dream, look, read...
I do love Beatrix.
I have a similar, dog-eared, set of Beatrix Potter. Absolutely loved them as a child, and now with baby on the way, I may well adopt your approach - nice clean set...
As for Pigling Bland it was so long, that it took me ages to read it on my own and I still remember the peppermints! I'd never thought about the social implications of what was contained in the story - I'm going to re-read it with your comments in mind...Mootia x
Oh I do love a bit of close reading, analysing the deeper layers of a story - bliss! Thank you for this insightful post Fennie. I really enjoyed it - more please xx
our last house had window seats and then .. we had the mullions replaced and they built out under them to take the new weight and we were left with a window shelf which even the tiniest bottom could do no more than merely perch on, although I still, resolutely, made a long velvet cushion, for show at least. I thought of you today, missing our Jane, and here you are, doing exactly the same sort of thing, only with no need for Greenwich !!
I would love a window seat and like nothing better than reading and looking out of a window. I like your take on Pigling Bland, I shall examine all children's stories more deeply now.
Wow - I never thought of all that. Have printed your blog to re-read in conjunction with my daughter's copy of Pigling Bland. (She's in Thailand and won't miss it!) Great, thanks.
Interesting Fennie - never really liked Pigling Bland but never read it as an adult. I had a window seat in my first own home - they're lovely aren't they? The sort of thing I love in a house like second or secret staircases and balconies.
Oh I love window seats - every child hood should have one !
We have very deep window sills where we live - but they are too high tao call window seats.
I don't think I have read Pigling . .
I love a window seat. We had a big one in the bay window of the house before last. Now there is one in the kitchen which is far from big but might just merit the name.
Pigling Bland was never one of my favourites but I do think you are onto something here - I shall go and have a look.
Yes - love the idea of a window seat. Preferably furnished with a feathery squab-type cushion covered in satin strip on which to linger and muse.
Don't remember ever reading Pigling Bland, but love the idea of conversation peppermints (only, wouldn't there be a risk of them pinging out during a particularly animated conversation? Although perhaps that was their purpose - to freshen the breath and restrict conversation to polite shortness). I must admit, I've always found Beatrix Potter's stories a bit strange and gloomy - horrible Mr McGregor, for instance (although one can imagine his annoyance at having his allotment vegetables nibbled) and the imminent threat of danger that hung everywhere in her world.
Fascinating blog, Fennie, as ever - have been absent for a while and am only now just catching up.
Like you, we have more than one set of Beatrix Potter - in varying degrees of decrepitude. All I could think of for conversatin peppermints was 'breath mints' - do you think Piglings worried about such things?
Loved your post on nostalgia and past houses - lovely.
What I want to know is what the moral sentiments were - were they written on the little screws of paper that the conversation peppermints were wrapped in?
Post a Comment