
Of course it should have been a balmy summer evening, the sun sinking slowly into a furnace of copper, chilled Pinot Grigio on the Castle terrace and a light zephyr breathing the warm balm of Sicilia over the assembled company. But that was asking too much.
We motored over last Saturday evening to Goodrich Castle, a lovely old pile in South Herefordshire, built of that peculiar purple-ish sandstone they go in for in those parts, for the specific purpose of getting a good soaking and incidentally to watch the Rain and Shine Theatre Company perform Shakespeare’s The Winter’s Tale. As they say on the quiz shows: the clue is in the title.
Rain and Shine are an excellent troupe who perform Shakespeare and other classical plays in a rumbustious, burlesque, street theatre-ish style. Lots of noise, lots of clever and comic ‘business,’ deliberately hammy acting and audience involvement: on Saturday, the actors (well, two of them) fancying a drop of wine during the performance, simply helped themselves to the remains of someone’s picnic, for instance. Well worth seeing if you get the chance; more: well worth going an hour’s drive to see. Even in the rain. Even when the rain itself was over-acting, assisted by its fellow meteorological thesps: darkness and a half-gale.
I had never before seen The Winter's Tale, so this was a first for me, and, given the generally humid ambiance, not one I am likely to forget. I rather enjoyed it, I have to say - though it’s a curious piece, starting as it does as a serious tragedy all about how a man’s jealousy can ruin lives and marital harmony. But then, after King Leontes has caused his infant daughter (who he believes not to be his) to be abandoned far from the shores of his Kingdom of Sicilia, for which his faithful servant is then attacked by a bear so letting Shakespeare write his most famous stage direction ‘Exit pursued by a Bear,’ the play switches to comedy. Well, it has to really, otherwise the whole thing would become too silly, and the rest of the piece is a comedy with music, dance and song. Shakespeare as Lloyd Webber, you might say.
Leontes, even gets his beloved wife back whom, he cast into prison where she dies in the meantime of the false accusations hurled at her. Someone thoughtfully makes a life size statue of her, which then comes to life when Leontes takes responsibility for his terrible behaviour and she, dutifully and in a triumph of hope over experience, accepts him again as husband.
I did, I confess, as the rain started to descend in stair rods during the last half hour, wish that that final scene would quickly draw to a close so that we could all go home. "Yes, we know the statue is real!" I wanted to say, "so you can skip the gradual warming up bit." Warming up! Everyone was frozen. Hermione (the statue) I would have thought especially, standing stock still as she was in the rain soaked gale for half an hour with only a wispy tunic to protect her.
Camped on the wet grass I noticed we were sitting next to a seventeenth century mortar called Roaring Meg. A squat, tubby black thing resembling an iron toad. It had been cast locally when the Parliamentary commander besieging the Royalists of Goodrich in 1646 began to lose patience at their defiance. So with Meg’s helped he lobbed a few 200lb gunpowder filled shells into the castle and the walls, in true Biblical style, came tumbling down. Or so the notice said.
I couldn't help thinking, watching the droplets of rain swirling on the wind like snowflakes in the luminescence of the spotlights, that the play might even have been performed before, in this same castle courtyard or in the adjacent hall, in happier times, before Roaring Meg (why are cannons always female?) brought the great castle towers tumbling down.
I can't think of another country, other than Britain, where the company would be shown the same spirit - not only of 'The Show Must Go On' but also of 'The Show Must Be Watched.' Only when I started drying out did I discover how wet I was.
But as it ended and we stood to applaud the bravura of the cast and they applauded us in turn for our determination to stay to the end, and we packed up and waded back the long quarter mile in the muddy darkness to the car park, cold and soaked, I knew I was glad to have gone. There is more to theatre than ice cream in the warm trappings of the grand circle.

10 comments:
Fennie, it sounded a memorable evening - rain or shine - and I really enjoyed reading your account of it. We've been making noises about trying to get regular fixes of 'culture' but have been inundated at Hotel H. Your post, even with the bits about how wet you all got, has made me determined to so something about it.
Fennie, your review is splendid.
Thank you for letting us in on the real feeling of that performance.
I hope that you have also let the performers see this post. I bet they would love to see how their effort was appreciated!
I think you are right about there not being too many other places where that special bonding of performers and audience would occur.
xo
Sounds like you really enjoyed the evening, thanks for sharing it with us.
Lovely, even if wet! We recently went to an open air theatre performance at The Vyne, and although slightly chilly, not wet, we really enjoyed it.
Sounds great - definitely a case of the English - show must go on, stiff upper lip and all that. Glad you enjoyed.
Oh drat - slip of the keyboard and I've just lost my comment, and a very good comment it was too, though I say so myself.
I know Goodrich Castle - not that far from us - and cannot imagine a better setting for Shakespeare in the open air - so much darkly brooding atmosphere, and as you say, Roaring Meg and her ilk. Sorry to hear about the rain - still, it sounds as though it was a good event even so.
Wow - what an experience that must have been. I'm sure that the final act of the evening must have included a hot drink and a hot bath! You are a trouper. Speaking of which - just read your previous post about taking on the role in the play you're directing. I wish I could see it! You ARE a trouper!
I love open air theatre and this review is cracking! As you say, only the Brits would sit in the pouring rain. Hope the players are appreciated wherever they go!
....and you are welcome to come to us and see the sea from this island whenever you're ready!
I LOATHE The Winter's Tale, I did it for A Level and if anything is designed to ruin a play, it's diong it for A level. Act 4 scene iv, 880 bitter lines long. That prat Florian (is it?) the ghastly perky bits, oh I just loathe it. The only good bit is Exit pursued by a Bear and Autolycus, the snapper up of unconsidered trifles. Plus that horrid line about the spider in the cup which has contributed to my arachniphobia.
Post a Comment