Do you ever have one of those moments when you find yourself asking suddenly ‘what am I doing here?’ as if you had just woken up and found yourself at the bottom of some very deep rabbit hole? You do? Well then, let me join you, for I experienced just such a surreal and Kafkaesque moment on Wednesday of this week, an inoffensive sort of a day otherwise, when normally I should have been sitting quietly at this desk bashing out invoices for the labels that had been ordered that day, or sticking stamps on parcels, or just possibly operating our little printer and reeling up labels for some last minute order.
Instead I found myself in seat 451 of the European Parliament in Brussels, part of a great hemi-cycle, and desperately trying to stay awake as I listened to a French Minister droning bravely on about immigration and asylum.
I was surrounded by MPs and MEPs of all nations - regrouped in this chamber for an inter-parliamentary session on just those subjects. It’s a chance for the European Parliament to make friends with members of national parliaments and this particular session was organised by the French Presidency of the European Union as part of its efforts in the direction of Inter-cultural dialogue. All very worthy. And useful, too, in its own way.
But of course I am neither an MP, nor an MEP, though I might indeed have been one at one time had the voters in various places and various times been rather less careless in the placing of their crosses. That is a story that I have yet to tell. So there I was, seated in a row marked ‘Press’ - which wasn’t really helpful either as although I do contribute articles to a European journal, to describe myself as ‘Press,’ seemed not so much as being economical as vastly extravagant with the truth.
Nevertheless, there I was, with a glossy white photographic badge to prove my entitlement while I listened to the slow buzz of amplified and oddly stressed voices coming over the headphones from the interpreters’ cubicles while with my eyes I counted the myriad down lighters recessed into the ceiling. And after becoming bored with counting the lights I started this blog, reasoning that I would at least look as if I were being attentive even if I still felt I had fallen down a rabbit hole into somebody else’s existence - and, like Alice, I started to wonder who might have been the previous occupant whose legislative posterior had warmed the cushions of seat 451.
Of course, I did have a proper reason to be there to do with the communications project that I am working on with a team in Brussels and on which I endeavour to play some small part for the United Kingdom, which being a Big Country in the scale of these things, gives me rather more clout than were I to be representing a Small Country like Malta or Cyprus. I had an hour or two before catching the Eurostar back home and as some colleagues whose speciality was immigration were attending this Parliamentary meeting, they suggested I join them. “Why not,” I replied reasoning that one never knows who one is going to meet at the European Parliament.
Indeed I prefer watching people rather than listening to them and looking at the body language. I like absorbing the atmosphere too. Mostly this is languid and dull, but it quickens every now and then when, occasionally, someone says something original or interesting or even rehearses some tired old cliché with a bit of passion.
Here there is an atmosphere very different indeed to our Parliament in Westminster. It has something to do with the melting pot of languages, something to do with the vast amount of space - you could fit a respectable size tennis court in some of the corridors - so that the place resembles the terminal of an international airport rather than a quiet corner of contemplative deliberation.
Anyway, I soon had to escape my rabbit hole and my counting of downlighters and the immigration and asylum concerns of the various members and sneak back across Brussels, first to the Belgian chocolate shop - an obligatory stop on the way home - and then to Eurostar and so back to London in two hours or so.
I was fortunate that not to be staying an extra day, for had I been twenty-four hours later I could have found myself delayed by the fire that broke out the following day in the Channel Tunnel and was still raging this morning, fortunately hurting no-one. For such small mercies we must be thankful.
The joys of book club
-
When we moved here, in June 2022, we met various lovely neighbours
including a couple along the road who have been here much longer than we
have but are ...
1 year ago

7 comments:
you live a very strange life and had you not nobbled the term Kafkaesque that would be exactly what I would have used. Presumably the delegates aren't just light counting and blogging?!?!
It all sounds very important and interesting. And lucky you! Firstly to visit a Belgian chocolate shop and secondly to have missed being delayed by the fire.
Ah yes dear there is room for you in my european rabbit hole anytime I will just bunch up. Having had a summer of travelling I am still waking up thinking like an Amreican tourist" if its wednesday it must be Belguim" or however that old joke goes.I am also giving an impression of a rabbit caught in headlights when spoken to as my brain seems ot be rahter slow to catch up with all these changes of lingua franca.
By the you were saying there shoudl be a word for a damp dark wet hell... I htink there is its called an English Summer isnt it....
I very much like the way that you introduced us to your Moment.
Isn't it odd how some situations that many years back might have seemed totally out of the question, might just become a bit of "an ordinary day," even without any intervention from outer space or divinity.
I also wanted to let you know that your comments about watching body language really connected with me. I had a special staff meeting at the shop this week and the topic was "communication." I wanted to let various members of the staff know that they do send messages to me and the assistant manager, even when they think otherwise, and also to let all the staff know that I do value open communication amongst us all, however we chose to deliver it.
Well done ... particularly with the chocolate pick up.
Cheers!
Sometimes I feel as though I inhabit a parallel universe - and I had that feeling from your post. I was greatly relieved when you finally got to the chocolate shop, though. For a minute I was horrified to think you might have been in Brussels and not made a single chocolate pilgrimage!
But how few people get the chance to see all that! I would have loved to have gone, just to see it all in action (though I am such wholesale critic of all things Brussels I'd be the last person on earth they would allow in!)
Gosh, yes - know exactly what you mean about Kafkaesque moments and often have them (although never sitting in the European parliament, I must confess). But how fascinating (and so glad to hear you escaped the tunnel fire, which must have been terrifying). xx
Post a Comment