We are supposed to be in a recession, but last month we sold more than a million labels. To put this in context we normally sell about 400,000 labels, but last month it was more than a million and this month it may be as many. So really we should be happy bunnies, shouldn’t we? Well, yes. I mean ‘yes,’ no question yes. Except for the fact that all this selling of our little self-adhesive friends is hard work.
The labels long ago escaped from their normal confines of the two rooms that were the old garage and which we converted into a bedroom and sitting room for MIL in the days when she was still with us. Then they took over the dining room, whence they can be expelled on high days and holidays all apart from two large and growing stacks of heavy duty pallet labels in garish colours that lurk behind wicker screens bought for the purpose in IKEA.
But now as I write they have even over-spilled the dining room. There are boxes of labels, piled high, along the hall and in the sitting room neat rows of partly filled white mailing bags stand on their ends, their sheet-like corners waving at odd angles. They remind me of so many baby ghosts, lined up in some ghost orphanage.
We have an exceptionally large order to despatch to several hundred stores. What seemed like a great piece of business has turned into a nightmare of perplexity. Nothing is very difficult in quantities of ones and twos, but multiplied by several hundred the slightest difficulty or hitch requires hours of labour to remedy.
The labels we are selling are quite complicated - they are the labels used to certify films, 18, 15, PG and so on. We don’t print these ourselves, but we have nevertheless to ensure we have the right quantities and the right mix and to bag everything up and address it and stamp it and despatch. It all sounds easy enough until you have to cope with suppliers that are late and customers who are anxious, and, of course, all the continuing normal workload that goes on with the occasional deadline for an article on European Affairs thrown in.
We have been working, heavy eyed and limbed, from early morning until night, bringing in the offspring as required. Elder Daughter has missed her vocation as Superwoman. She works twice as fast as anyone else and has a capacity for organisation that puts us to shame. I wonder if ever this order ever will be complete and we able to reclaim our sanity and most of the house.
So as a diversion we entertained Di and her two aged mothers (one hers, one her husband’s) to lunch in the kitchen (into which the labels have not so far intruded). One aged mother is 87, the other 97. The 97 year old is deaf, but and so gives a standard response of ‘quite all right, thanks’ in a shaky voice to whatever is put to her. I sometimes think one could go though life on just a few of such standard responses. Alistair Cooke used to say that if a discussion had anything to do with politics, you could sound intelligent simply by saying ‘but not in the south, I think.’
As it happens we did not discuss politics, so I fell, between plate-warming and duck-carving operations, to reflecting how easy it was to form relationships these days through the internet and this led me to wonder whether one is ever too old for internet dating.
Could an 87 year old and British Passport holder to boot ‘want to meet’ a ninety year old Russian or Argentinian oligarch? It seems, I suppose, unlikely, but just imagine.....instead of contemplating a quiet winding down and a diet of painful knees and shuffling gait and generally having to be waited on hand and foot, think how one’s life could be transformed by falling in love at such an age.
With the endorphins released by the brain, the old would become instantly younger. Instead of ageing, one would de-age. And by at least ten years. Mobility would be restored and out of the window would go all those sad poisons prescribed by the gerontologists to hold body and soul together.
Anyway between mouthfuls of duck and roast potatoes I put this to her and she seemed much taken with the oligarch idea. I even taught her the Russian for ‘I love you.’ (When you are 87, it’s as well to work fast). ‘Ya vas loublou’ she said, very prettily. It remained only to set up the advertisement in Yahoo personals and perhaps, for good measure, the London Review of Books, a periodical much given to fostering eccentric relationships among those who feign a literary interest.
But sadly as I had then to break off to serve and sample the lemon tart, a snip from last week’s visit to IKEA, but still delicious with a spot of double cream, I found on my return that the conversation had drifted from visions of yachts and private jets and a dacha outside St Petersburg. I could see my chance of rubbing shoulders with Vladimir Putin in the hallowed portals of The Hermitage, awaiting my opportunity to slip ‘but not in the south I think’ into the conversation, slipping away with every mouthful.
I must try again, though. And next time I shall serve Borscht.
The joys of book club
-
When we moved here, in June 2022, we met various lovely neighbours
including a couple along the road who have been here much longer than we
have but are ...
1 year ago

9 comments:
Fennie, the older I get, the more I do appreciate someone who appreciates older folks.
(And growing up in the Southern part of the States, yes I think Mr. Cooke is quite right.)
Congrats to you on your organized daughter ... I would love to have her on my staff!
Even though I still remember a bit of my ancient Russian classes, I would never want to take a chance rubbing anything with Mr. Putin. Scary dude.
Cheers.
Yes, Frances, scary dude indeed - my thoughts precisely. Loved this blog, Fennie. Remember going to a restaurant called Borscht and Tears long, long ago - Beauchamp Place or some place thereabouts, I seem to think. Well done for getting such a lot of orders in this bleak climate - you're obviously doing something right. Although I know only too well the merry dance of elation (brought about by news of the order), apprehension (with the dawning realisation that said order has somehow to be fulfilled) followed by deep resentment and cries of Oh B*gg**y - well, in this house at least - as the work encroaches on yet more and more of one's life. Staff is the answer, I think.
LBD xx
PS Which branch of IKEA do you visit? Excitement at the thought that it may indeed be the Bristol branch - perhaps next time we could engineer a plate of Swedish meatballs together...
I was entranced at the thought of internet dating for the elderly but your labels situation sounds overwhelming. I have a super organised daughter too who I am sure would cope with something like this with great energy. I remain quite organised but as I get older more and more I just can't quite be a***d.
Ah - lovely catch-up on your latest posts, Fennie.
The labels - you had me laughing at the thought of you and yours in a sort of Sorcer's Apprentice situation with an ever-expanding stack of labels!
The Great Dane has mastered 'I love you' in many languages, but he loves the Ya Loublou Vas most of all, as he just said "Yellow Blue Bus" and the young women collapsed in laughter. Not quite the reaction he was after, but a great conversation starter!
I know what you mean about cold and damp. When we lived in Norther Alberta we became afficianados of 'dry cold' - the kind that causes the snow to squeak under one's mukluks. We could wear skin boots and never have wet feet, whereas in Ontario, where it snows endlessly from December to March, the snow is wet and the cold goes straight to one's bones.
Yes yes yes to Russian oligarchs and dachas....this needs pursuing. I can only say 'how much does it cost?' in Russian (plus please and thank-you) but then I did visit when I was just 16 and St Petersburg was still Leningrad....
Poor you with the multiplying labels....
Ooooh, I remember Borscht and Tears LBD.....got revoltingly drunk on flavoured vodka on a blind date with a truly revoltong Hooray Henry type. Yeeuch.
Labels somehow seem a manageable sort of commodity to manage from one's home - unlike beef or pork bellies. I see sweet little sticky squares and not mountains of mail bags. Well done with you personal boom! And thank goodness for organised daughters.
I only have disorganised sons.
Woah! What a team! Sorry I missed this before, however it's amazing that you've found the time to post. Good news (I think!) that you are so busy... or Ikea at Caradiff, let's get LBD over there.
anomalous indeedy. but then I don't really understand this recession - they can make it "explicable" but only in a way they made the boom explicable. And I didn't get that, either. No Borscht and Tears for me, sadly, beetroot doesn't float my boat, but yes to Bristol Ikea. The glamour.
Business has a horrible habit of taking over ones life doesn't it? I can honestly say a surface not covered with glaze, things drying with glaze on them, or things waiting to be glazed, is a rare find in this house. I havent seen the kitchen table for weeks and the dinning room table is a no go area. We eat surrounded by the detritus of my work.
One day Fennie we will escape and meet outside the Hermitage..I will be the one covered in glaze stains and I hope you will wear a sticky lable so I may recognise you!
Post a Comment