This morning I was listening idly to the ‘Today’ programme on Radio 4 while munching away on my buttered toast, when someone, whose name I didn’t catch, came on to say that he had written a new batch of Winnie-the-Pooh stories that would be published in the autumn under the title of ‘Return to the Hundred Acre Wood.’
He then read a charming extract with Pooh saying though he had been absent for 80 years, ‘years’ were only a unit of time and it might just as well have been 80 weeks or even 80 minutes, in which later case it might just be time for a little smackerel of something in the Hundred Acre Wood.
I know shall look forward to the publication but I fear I shall be disappointed. These sequels, even if the characters are revived by the original author, never quite seem to hit the mark. Time moves on, whatever Pooh may say, in the enchanted - as well as enchanting - Hundred Acre Wood. All of which made me ask myself how big anyway was 100 acres? And spent some minutes working this out to be about a mile by 300 yards.
In idle moments I am always essaying these kinds of calculations. Last week I wrote about Jane Shilling’s memoir of learning to ride, buying a horse and then joining the local hunt - ‘A Fox in the Cupboard.’ Walking through our own very much less than 100 acre wood the next day I found myself reckoning what it all must have cost and why, as a single mum she should have incurred such great expense while still (I assume) a relatively lowly paid sub-editor. Even when she became a regular columnist and reviewer the charge of this equestrian activity on the Shilling household must have been a heavy one.
She says her horse cost £3,200. But then there’s the livery, the vet’s and farrier’s bills, hunt subscriptions, transport, both for the horse to meets, and for herself to and fro from London to deepest Kent. There is proper clothing to be bought, and riding boots, and general impedimenta; there is insurance (sure to be crippling when you think of what a horse can do with a well-aimed kick). Why when a frequent theme of her articles used to be the frugality of her existence did she embark on such a financially threatening course?
This is indeed a more interesting question and I think the answer has something to do with tribe. We all have an atavistic urge to belong to and to be accepted by a wider group of people, not necessarily that we like, but with whom we have a common purpose and who will support us if need be. Jane’s book ends like this:
“I turned and looked back on them all - the Ashford Valley, eating and drinking and flirting on Midsummer’s eve. It was dark on the road where the trees hung down and I couldn’t see their faces, only their silhouettes, but as I paused there for a moment, poised just outside the circle of light and celebration, someone waved. They’d noticed that I had gone.”
This seems her acknowledgment that at last she felt accepted into the Ashford Valley tribe, whereas before she felt an outsider.
Our tribes are distinguished by traditions, by modes of dress, by colours and by purpose. The activity that the tribes engage in, sport, riding, party politics, acting, is often incidental to the real purpose: the satisfaction that we get from belonging, from knowing the jargon and the in-jokes, the history, the anecdotes, the common language and the chance to live in a smaller, friendlier world. Though in reality a tribe’s internal politics rarely run smooth.
My own tribe is acting and we are often at cross-purposes. We cannot even agree when to hold our traditional Twelfth Night revels. Should it be the 5th or the 6th of January? It is our version of Lilliput’s Big and Little Enders.
I suppose it all depends when you start counting. Night one ought to be Christmas Eve - when, one presumes, the shepherds came down from the hills. By the time the Magi arrived on Christmas morning the messy bits were safely over and the Babe, all washed and wrapped lay smiling happily in His manger.
Incidentally, this is always depicted as a kind of trough on legs which any self-respecting ungulate would kick over before you could say Santa Claus. Real mangers are fixed to the wall at the height of a horse’s head, which would be a more sensible place to put a baby in an occupied stable. Twelfth Night would then become the 4 January. Oh dear!
Still, if like Pooh Bear you are not a slave to literalism and think the quantum of time units immaterial to a good story, then it really matters not. Besides 6 January is the feast of St Stephen (when the snow lay round about) and St Stephen has traditionally been as much a part of the end of Christmas as St Nicholas has been a part of the beginning.
So, pace modernists everywhere, I stuck to the traditional night. A great party ensued. Before midnight we commenced removing the Christmas decor, ready for the barren abstinence that stretches out deep, cold and boringly even towards Lent. Which, in these ever more troubled times, looks as though it will well live up to its name as the season of borrowing.
The joys of book club
-
When we moved here, in June 2022, we met various lovely neighbours
including a couple along the road who have been here much longer than we
have but are ...
1 year ago

13 comments:
Yes, I heard that piece about Winnie the Pooh, and thought exactly the same. I've always thought of twelfth night at the 6th, but would be even happier to get my shedding Christmas tree out of the door on the 5th, so would be happy to change my view on that. Have always thought St Stephen's day was Boxing day, though, and thought it was the 6th of Jan when the Magi turned up, but I guess all these things are probably moveable feast as no one quite knows.
And, yes - as a lowly sub-editor once myself, I certainly couldn't have afforded to hunt. What always strikes me - we've got two hunts round here - is that they're always doing it on a weekday when you'd imagine anyone with a job of work to do would be labouring at their desk. My Chief Sub would have taken a very dim view of my disappearing off every Wednesday morning in winter to go off hunting. V interesting blog, Fennie, as always.
Great read, Fennie. I hadn't heard about Winnie's return and am not sure that I'll like it - but of course will have a look. We Canadians feel just a teensy bit responsible, since Winnie's inspiration was actually named for the city of Winnipeg.
Re the whole question of tribe. I don't know what tribe I'm with. Having been a bit of a Nomad, I'd say it's a very small tribe - and I'm not much for joining groups, aside from the PC. I had a brief 18 months with Rotary until I had to get out - too much like a club. (and what did I think it was??) It sounds to me as though that editor had family money, boyfriend money or research money (for an article) behind her - or perhaps a great-aunt died and left her a whopping pot of money. Seems a little fishy!
PS Was that buttered toast eaten off a Toast and Marmalade plate?
No no no...there cannot be a 'return' to Winnie the Pooh. there was only one author, and I hate to think of anyone else trying to emulate him.
Oooh, I heard it too and I am most concerned. Why can't we just leave the best alone?? I would much rather think of Pooh and Piglet meandering through the 100 Acre Wood somewhere. I can't bear the thought of them being dragged out to play their X Boxes or Wiis. Besides, can't anyone think of anything orignal anymore?? Hrumphs off to join the Grumpy Old Women tribe.
Is nothing sacred? Don't think I want to read new Pooh. Now I feel in an Eeyore-ish sort of mood.
I'm with LBD - St Stephen's is boxing Day and the 6th is 12th night. (If only because my ancient and long departed Dad said so!)
I'm looking forward to Spring now but fear there's a long way to go yet....
Good evening Fennie,
Once again you have written well and have tossed lots of questions up in the air. Let us see who catches which.
Winnie the Pooh need no updating. Why would anyone want to? I here the unique voice of Cyndi Lauper telling us, "Money, money changes everything."
The measurement of acres has struck a childhood memory. The house in which I grew up (and where my mom still lives) was on a street bordered, then by a bit of woods. Great place for childhood imaginations to take off. The neighborhood was called Eight Acres. I realize now that is not such a large area, but to a child it was huge. (Woods now gone, ugly big houses planted there now.)
Tribes. So many ways we can find to join others we think might be like us. Or will like us!
In the past few years, I have felt quite a stong tribal connection to the great friends that I have found on our common site.
Cheers!
Hello Fennie, I am deeply worried about the resurgence of Pooh as I cannot but feel there will be a feeling of disappointment. Like you, I think these things never seem as good and are better left as they were. Hmm, think I need to get a life possibly as to worry about Pooh seems ridiculous but I am a lifelong fan! Ho Hum, said Pip xx
I too thought the same thing about the revived WTP - sometimes better to leave well alone as they saying goes.
I gave up on my drama tribe decided I couldn't cope with what went on internally, nor did I connect with the tribe leaders.
I heard the piece about W the P and, though the man had a delightful way with him, I ended up shouting at the radio, 'You fool, don't you dare'
Mess about with 12th Night as much as you like, but somethings must be kept sacred.
Fascinating post Fennie with much food for thought. No, I wouldn't welcome a 'return' of Winnie the Pooh, not one little bit.
Re the hunting, well, hard to say. My ex-neighbour was poor as a church mouse yet she hunted regularly. Admittedly a lot of people helped her out - we let her use our field for free and subs round here are not that high....I guess people will cut corners in other areas to pursue their passions.
I miss my Jungian art tribe....madly truly and deeply...and not easy to find another one of those around here..
Yes, I heard the Pooh item on the radio and shouted a bit like lampie. Leave it alone, for God's sake. It is like writing jane austen sequels - just make up something of your own. Stomp.
The tribe one is an interesting one too. I am profoundly not a joiner of clubs and think I don't have a tribe. I will have to think about it. Mmm, might even blog about it rather than ranting on here!
Great blog, as usual.
I think Jane Shilling's poverty is very relative. I remember thinking that when reading her column in the Times - poor, but still in a nice frock and sending her son (and why not) to private school.
Someone, Tom Holt, tried to do updates of the EF Bensons (glorious books about Mapp adn Lucia, sadly televised later but wonderful to read if you're lucky enough not to have done so). It was all there on paper, so to speak, but it was just wrong.
Post a Comment