This will be, unashamedly, a piece about my new grandchild, so those of you who are inclined to see such young beings as merely ‘a hole at both ends,’ can look away now and find something better to do: Sky has some excellent football coverage, I believe, and there are pressing things to fuss with in the garden.
It is all of 36 years since I last held an equally small scrap of humanity - at least one that preserved a good part of my own genome. How I managed then, I don’t know. Grandparents were noticeable by their absence, while the books seemed just too theoretical. In any case, I had quite forgotten it all. But I do remember that somehow there was nothing to learn, nature, by some miraculous process, just took over. Instinct, I suppose.
In any case, as quickly as I became expert with the new born, we were off on the helter-skelter trip down, or rather up, the ages of life: toddlerhood and talking, reading and nurseries, school and so on.This time I expect this progression will seem even faster. Young Topi is a week old already. In a few short months - by the end of the summer holidays - he will be crawling and already taking his first steps by Christmas.
I call him Topi, as no-one else seems inclined to call him anything. With great earnestness do his parents produce constant streams of names, which fade from consciousness like mayflies. We are no further forward.
Topaz was his womb nickname. Topaz was inside the ‘bump.’ At the time we did not know his gender, of course, though we might have learned from the scans. We preferred not to know. Younger Daughter, his mother, has always been endeared to having a couple of (presumably female) offspring called Topaz and Ameythyst - names which even Mrs Worthington would have been pleased to put straight on stage.
I have shortened and masculinized Topaz to Topi - or Toppy, if you prefer - but Topi sounds both more exotic and has a handsome ruggedness that comes with a gentle and caring interior. No-one, anyway, has objected and his parents seem grateful that someone is calling him something in the six week interregnum before they need to pay a visit to the registrar.
I have to confess to being reluctant to hold Topi when I first saw him. An alien, delicate and soggy piece of flesh wrapped in swaddling layers of blanket and what I regarded as a completely unecessary hat, given that the fellow already has a lot more hair of his own that many of the medical men who flitted in from time to time.
But once placed in my arms it is remarkable how quickly the parental instinct usurps such feelings. One ‘knows’ without thinking how to hold a baby, how to position his head close to your own heart and how to move with gentle rocking motions that soothe and comfort.
You forget just how easy the bonding process is and indeed the degree of interaction develops unbidden. Babies are not inert pieces of tissue, they react vigorously to this and that and even when they are content to snuggle asleep against your chest, that itself is a reaction to feeling safe and secure.
It’s been a week now and already we have our little routines. I sing or hum to little Topi while walking up and down. He seems to like the Souza march, which Monty Python took as their theme tune, but Leonard Cohen also seems to go down well. Now and then we do Mozart - at least we try. This, too is lapped up with the rest.
All of this makes me fancy that Topi will be musical - or rather is musical. I can’t remember singing in the same way to my own newborns. But there is something in this baby that demands it. The big eyes, fringed at this stage of development with blue, open and rock from side to side as they try to focus. ‘It will come, Topi,’ I say, ‘it will come, your focus.’ At the moment, trying to focus just makes the little fellow screw up his face and shake his head.
His little fingers, long and narrow, with perfectly formed (and clean) fingernails, clutch mine, with a grip that is surprisingly light, while he forgets about music and remembers the only thing that babies are really interested in when they are not asleep - food.
I give him my knuckle to suck and am initially surprised not just by the force but by the efficiency of the action. Whereas all else about baby is loose and unco-ordinated, half-formed and helpless, the sucking reflex is well-honed.
And once lips touch knuckle he draws his head back, waggles it from side to side and then lurches forward in a species of head butt. The suction starts and we have ‘lock-on.’
Disappointment clearly follows as the knuckle fails to provide anything sweet, warm and nutritious. Topi then boasts a ferocious frown. But, persistent chap that he is he tries again, jerking his head back, doing the little wiggle, and then throwing himself again forward. Thus we continue until he tires and falls asleep, still ‘locked-on’ to my finger.
Yes, all this really is a miracle. And, for it, ordinary life seems to stop, everyday priorities melting away like snow before a warm wind.
So, I am back to re-learning nursery rhymes and finger games and how to make the legs of Pipany’s wonderful Babbit go pitter-patter, pitter-patter. I am back to looking at baby books and wondering (at times) whether the babies that they know are anything like the babies I have known. But most of all I am back to feeling that fierce, defensive pride that wants to love and protect one’s offspring; to draw out and reinforce its aptitudes, to help to link all those myriads of unformed connections in his brain that provide the basis of intelligence and to help him to grow into a sound and happy little soul.
Which is all most wonderful and perfect.

18 comments:
Welcome to the family of grandparents, Fennie. You have written something so personal, yet something that probably describes for all of us the experience of holding that wee one in the first days. Tiny Topi has bonded with you and will look to (and at)you in a special way for the rest of your days - get ready for when he focusses on you!
Beautifully written - you make me want to weep at the thought of how precious my own and so many other grands are. Do you think that the world might be a kinder place if leaders had to meet with grandchildren in their arms?
l love the 'hole at each ends' bit! wonderful, sorry not a baby person at all, but congratulations!
Oh I loved this Fennie. I am a baby person, a child person, yes, even a teenage person I suppose. They are all amazing, frustrating and wonderful aren't they? Thank you for this lovely sharing of your special time. (And glad Babbit has such a wonderful home) xx
Aw, Fennie! You've gone all warm and fuzzy! And with good reason, you've lots to celebrate. A lovely, intimate moment shared with us. Thank you.
A very proud grandparent, I read. Enjoy your beautiful addition.
CJ xx
What a perfect piece of writing Fennie, utterly personal and universal at the same time. I loved it.
There is nothing quite like a grandchild, and that runs right through your post. Every day there will be minute changes. I do hope you keep a diary to look back on one day.
Have pm'd you re Pompiers!
A lovely post Fennie, I absolutely adore babies, I love children too, would have loved to have had a large family, but thankful that I am blessed with two gorgeous kids and two adorable grandchildren.
You have so much to look forward to with Topi, enjoy every minute of your time together, they grow up so quickly.
Lovely photo Fennie, thank you for sharing with us.
xx
Wondeful and perfect indeed, and it's amazing how it all comes back as soon as you get your hands on them. One word of warning though, they soon get to schoolage and with it comes school holidays, need I say more. I am awaiting 4 of mine, staying with Grandma for most of the week. The cat will have a nervous breakdown, hopefully I won't.
Seroiusly, congratulations, they are a gift.
That urge to nurture and protect doesn't go - it just needs an excuse to be rekindled. A grandparents role is so special too.
I do wish my lot would get a move on before I'm in my dotage...
Aaaah, congratulations, Fennie. You sound like the perfect grandparent and Topi already a much-loved member of the family. Here's to many happy years ahead.
xx
Awww. . . Precious, just so precious, Fennie. Warms my heart, bless. Congratulations! :) xoxox seashell
Fennie, reading this post was an immense treat. What love is expressed for that brand new baby Topi!
Since fate, or maybe just some poor decisions I made years back have left me childless, I do not know first hand the joy and wonder that you describe. Reading your words made me smile over and over, and ... as I reached the final sentence, I found my eyes were quite wet. In a very good way.
Thank you! xo
Congratualtions! I rather like the name Topi or should it be Toppi after the illustrator Sergio Toppi? He could do worse than look forward to a career in Bandes Dessinées! Iwouldnt put too much hope in the music input though as Jacko rocked Eldest to sleep with times tables and yet the poor thing never mastered them !
Just got to this - beautiful and profoundly moving piece of writing - what a magical thing birth is. He's lovely.
This is a lovely post. I adore new babies and I have three granddaughters so I know how you feel. Grandchildren bring unimaginable joy.
I hope you are keeping these posts for these future generations to read.
Cait's said what I was going to say, that you must keep this gorgeous love letter to your grandson for him to read one day further down his life. It was just lovely.
Beautiful post - I am most certainly a baby person and a child person (in fact I was even a teenage person, I suppose, until i had 2 of my own; now I'm not so so sure..!!)
I'm nowhere near a granny yet but I found this very moving - thanks for sharing..:)
p.s no idea how i ened up here, but I'm glad i did...love your blog!
Post a Comment