I am pushing Aged Mother around Waitrose again. She, in her wheelchair, attentively scans the aisles as we go up and down looking at the whiskies and the toilet rolls, the yoghurts and the shampoos.
I have written about Aged Mother before. She is 87 and is sadly now feeling the effects of age in her knee and memory departments. “I know I have seen something that I want,” she says, as we go patiently back and forth, her eyes alighting eagerly on some scrap of coloured packaging only to dismiss it with a “No, it wasn’t that! What was it?”
Being an even-tempered and long-suffering sort of person I resist the urge to mutter, “I don’t know you haven’t told me,” but can’t help thinking it all the same. I mean it is not even as if this was my mother, though everyone of course thinks she is. She is actually Helen’s mother, but I have been brought along as, so often on these shopping expeditions that J and Helen organise, I am thought ‘good’ with Aged Mothers. (I use the plural because Helen has two: her own and her husband’s with a combined age of 185) Helen and J each have each a trolley. I am the safe pair of hands on the wheel chair.
Actually I don’t mind at all. Aged Mother, in her own way, is quite fun, and the whole quasi-Buddhist exercise of subjugating the self leaves one quite serene. I may very well be in the same helpless state myself in only a handful of years. If so I want to know I have credits in the Karma bank.
In small doses the very old and the very young are no different. All that is required is the ability to remain unembarrassed and an aptitude for one-sided conversations on Joyce Grenfell lines for which shopping provides splendid opportunities.
“Let’s look at the orange juice, shall we? Mmm, what sort shall we buy? Do you like orange juice? It can be rather acid, don’t you think, though mixed with olive oil it is supposed to be good for the bones, or rather the joints. Does that make a difference? I mean if it were good for the bones could one expect that it would be good for the joints as well?”
I pause for the response: “I don’t really know, dear - but orange juice, yes! Did I ever tell you my grandfather was the Mayor of Harrogate......” This is the signal for rapid intervention. The Harrogate story lasts ten minutes and is recited faithfully on each and every occasion we meet and sometimes more than once). I plunge in heavily to effect a diversion.
“Ah yes, Harrogate,” I say. “Beautiful town. But I wonder whether they drank orange juice there. At the mayoral meetings, I mean. You know, to wash down the toffee? Did your grandfather eat toffee, and if so how were his teeth?....” and so we go on.
If all else fails I recite Shakespeare to her: though to mutter ‘For God’s sake let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of king’s........,’ can serve to raise the eyebrows amongst the unwary.
Written down like this it all sounds horribly patronising, but it does work. She doesn’t know what we are talking about, but then neither do I really. But we both are, on the face of it, having an intelligent afternoon’s conversation. I ask her to hold a random carton of orange juice while we beetle off in search of J’s or Helen’s trolley to put it in.
We are having a similar conversation about bread flour which I tell her I need. “There’s flour here,” she says observantly from her position two feet away from where I park the wheelchair to browse. Indeed, she is right! Bags and bags of it. What a surprise! But this is Waitrose after all. I am looking for a special flour, I tell her confidentially, one that has grains in it. I ask her opinion of granary flours. She considers the matter gravely and confesses she can’t tell, or doesn’t know, or has forgotten. But she says this most positively and we are both satisfied that this is a valid exchange.
We are joined at this point by a young woman holding a bunch of flowers in search of some Canadian extra strong, reinforced gluten, flour in a black bag with a red maple leaf, which happens at that point to be directly behind Aged Mother’s wheelchair.
“Look at these lovely flowers,” she says to Aged Mother, her attention temporarily diverted from flours to flowers. She thrusts them under Aged Mother’s nose. “I couldn’t resist them.”
“Oh those are nice!” says Aged Mother beaming. I move the wheelchair to one side and tell her we are looking for a flour with grains in. She replies not to me but to Aged Mother (which makes me want to complain that it’s the people in wheelchairs that are supposed to be invisible not their hardworking pushers) telling her that the aforementioned Canadian flour is excellent because the strong gluten prevents pumpkin seeds with their sharp edges from cutting through the dough and ending up at the bottom of the loaf.
We are rapidly bordering surrealist territory. Aged Mother enters the spirit of things by nodding sagely and opining helpfully, “Of course it does.”
“I suppose you’ve done a lot of cooking?” ventures the young woman wistfully, on the basis of those four words which have now elevated Aged Mother to the status of a sage to be deferred to on all matters of baking.
I will say this for Aged Mother, she knows how to milk a situation. She stretches out an arm and says in a stage whisper. “I used to bake for Lord and Lady Fermoy, you know, Princess Diana’s grandparents.” And indeed she did when she was a girl in her teens and before she ran away at the outbreak of war to become an aircraft fitter, leaving the Fermoy kitchens bereft of her culinary talents.
But the Fermoy story and how she first introduced the name of Diana to the household is another well-scratched record. Luckily, at this point, fate intervened in the shape of the young woman’s husband. Grabbing a bag of flour, we executed a hand-brake turn and sped off to the safer pastures of jellies and jams.
The joys of book club
-
When we moved here, in June 2022, we met various lovely neighbours
including a couple along the road who have been here much longer than we
have but are ...
1 year ago

13 comments:
What a wonderful story. Aged mother sounds quite a lady!
PS, maybe you were thinking of 'vendeuse'? the French language isnt always straightorward!
Fennie, this one is priceless. You had me completely, totally in the supermarket with you. You have a gift.
The conversation with aged mother is like the ones I'm having more and more often with my mum who comes out here for the winter. Because I don't see her for months at a time, I notice the differences in her each year on her arrival on the coast.
Mum was a nursing sister and her story always starts 'Did I ever tell you about how I specialled[insert well-known name]when I was young?'
Your Karma Bank account must be looking very healthy - I invest in the Favour Bank although sometimes seem to go for long periods not actually feeling the benefits.
You have some credit in the karma bank and no mistake. I do think that engaging with other people's aged ps is an excellent idea. My own are not too aged just yet but Ian's father is 90 and a joy, although has his own idiolect and is quite frequently totally incomprehensible to me. It doesn't seem to stop us getting along.
Fennie, I so agree with those who've already commented about your growing Karma collection. And as your collection grows, you and aged mothers both seem to have a fine time.
We often have some aged mothers visiting our shop, and some of the staff, and I immodestly include myself, really have a lovely time visiting with them, perhaps guiding them to a purchase, perhaps not.
There is so much to learn, at any age.
Great story...and one I can empathise with!
I remember a doctor saying of my mother: " She's flying through clouds a bit now but having a lovely time!"
Good to see your blog.
What a wonderful post Fennie & I am sure you are racking up the Karma points.
You are obviously an extremely patient and kind sort of a gal. Lovely post
CKx
What a wonderful description from Jan "She's flying through clouds a bit now but having a lovely time!" Thhink I will try & remember that.
Your post made me laugh out loud,Fennie,and brought back many funny memories of my Mum and Tigger's 2 Aunts who suffered from Dementia. I used to visit them all every day and engaged in the most amazing disjointed conversations, that were repeated ad infinitum. Often wondered how I was able to have normal conversations during this time. Can be irritating at times, yet there is something poignant, childlike, and endearing about it all.
Good for you Fennie, I bet aged mother really enjoyed her shopping trip, I enjoyed reading about it. Very funny but in a touching way.
That was a briliant post, and yes, you shall go to heaven, I can see your halo shining. Well done you for being so patient and kind.
Thanks for calling to see my little purple coo. Love your story.
Oooh, gosh - I would love to hear the story of the Fermoys and young Lady Diana (although I pretend to be a republican, I love a bit of royal (or nearly royal) vicarious voyeurism. No, you don't sound patromising - I completely understand those kinds of conversations, and in their own way, I think they're every bit as valid as any other sort. She sounds quite a character.
Post a Comment