The other day we were discussing how the recession was affecting businesses. Our own little label business, now nearing its year end, looks as if it will come in about on budget, which is to say slightly down on the year before. But then labels are a declining industry.
Label firms seem to be dropping like flies and catalogues of their redundant equipment, for sale at knock down prices, drop through the letterbox with increasing regularity. Why we no longer need labels when ‘labelling’ seems to be the new found craze of government is another one of life’s impenetrable mysteries.
For us, therefore, managing the decline, is what it is all about. We don’t mind declining slowly. It’s sudden jolts we worry about. A bit like ageing really. We are, though, at the small and simple end of the market, contracting out anything difficult or complex. Operating from home we don’t carry the heavy overheads that are what seem to push so many businesses to the wall. Those and finance costs, of course. So it looks like we shall be battling on into another year.
But sadly, not all businesses will fare so well. In the town one or two have already gone under, including our most handy - and therefore useful - Garden Centre, just off the High Street, and nestling beside the river and its willows. In normal times this would have been full over the Easter weekend with eager gardeners looking to fill their hanging baskets and herbaceous borders.
A couple of months ago the Centre closed suddenly and unexpectedly. No one knew why exactly for it had always seemed a thriving business. There is talk that the landlord may have wanted more money for the lease, or maybe wanted the land for ‘development.’ But who knows what to believe? Maybe competing with the B and Q’s of this world for an industrial supply of petunias and nasturtiums is a mug’s game.
Anyway, the fact remains that this thriving and bustling hub of town activity, where you would meet neighbours between the Vietnamese ceramics or over the rails of clematis, where you would rush down on a Sunday afternoon to buy an extra trellis or set of bamboo canes, has gone the way of all things mortal. Now it is just a sad and empty yard, full of decaying pallets, litter and collapsing sheds. All the plants have gone, the stock of fertilisers and watering cans, likewise. It all looks very woebegone.
Wandering home a couple of evenings ago, on my way back from my daily trip to the Post Office to despatch parcels of labels, something made me divert along the path that runs past the old place. Past the little gate which fiercely said ‘No Entry’ - you were supposed to go in via the shop part which has now been leased to the Antiques Centre - which was not barred but in fact wide open. So I went in and had one of those idle moments of wandering around vacantly trying to remember all I had bought there in happier times.
Yes, here was where they kept the trees, here the climbers, here the water plants and those pond liners, here the stand of rubbishy rhubarb. Not a long wander: I was half-conscious that some uniformed (or even non-uniformed) jobsworth might turn up to enquire what I thought I was doing and automatically suspect that as I was clutching my now empty parcel bag, I must be someone clearly up to no good.
So driven by a mounting feeling of illicitness growing vaguely in my nether regions, I turned around to wander out again. I suppose I had been looking for some souvenir, something to remember the place by. Two months ago perhaps, had I been alert, there might have been any number of discarded bargains to be had; but today all that remained were plastic pots, polythene and broken pallets. Or so it seemed. For then I saw something - a pot with something still in it - lying on its side in a heap of rubbish that had been swept into a corner. Whatever the something was it looked pretty dead.
It still had its label: Pennisetum, it said, with instructions in half a dozen languages; dwarf tufted grass producing pretty colourful (well, whitish) tufts of something or other in the summer. Would it ever do so again, I wondered? For the whole thing looked pretty dead. As if the pot had lain on its side all winter and the plant had shrivelled from drought. Just dead grass, wasn’t it?
Nevertheless I thought I detected a small green shoot - a patch of greenness anyway - so I scooped it up and brought it home. Ever since, at a young age, I learned the parable of the lost sheep, things rescued have always had a particular place in my affections. Into the parcel bag it went and home it came.
It was pot bound, of course, and looked way past its sell by date: a dense thicket of straws in a small pot. But I have since re-potted it and may even plant it out on the lawn. It may be my imagination but I think it’s looking happier.
The joys of book club
-
When we moved here, in June 2022, we met various lovely neighbours
including a couple along the road who have been here much longer than we
have but are ...
1 year ago

14 comments:
I hope your plant recovers in the gentle rain we are having at present. The plant nursery I work in is up for sale, every time I go into work, I wonder if it will be the last. The trouble is the big Garden Centre plant supermarkets can buy so much cheaper than us and have coffee and books to offer which as a nursery we are not allowed to sell. Surely we will always require labels, how else will we know what is what?
Well done, Fennie!
Looking forward to hearing more about this plant's Act II, Scene I.
Happy Easter. xo
A new begining at Easter - very apt
How good of you to rescue the plant, how sad if it had simply died a little unmourned death. Hope it grows well for you.
I too love rescuing plants, my garden is full of 'em. I am especially proud of my lilac which was near dead when I bought it dead cheap and each year it grows stronger. I am sure yours will thrive in your care.
Fennie, That little Penstemmon will be forever grateful, and will reward you with lovely blooms. Two of our local thriving nurseries were sold last year to property developers. Of course they are now just sitting there.Such a shame, as they were part of the social activity of gardening.I have just bought on line, and the plants arrived promptly to-day, but it was so sterile, without the joy of finding my Achillea The Pearl, and the general banter and advise which was always a part of the purchases.
A lovely Easter story, Fennie.
I wish you and your growing family a Happy Easter.
I got a glimpse of a tear in my eye reading this. It was that plant's lucky day when you turned up Fennie - I'm sure it will grow for you. Let us know won't you? XX
What an evocative blog, Fennie, so much to think about there; your endeavours to keep your business going, the death of the garden centre and green shoots on a rescued plant. Beautiful writing. (I enjoyed the description of fears of a 'sudden jolt' - that's exactly it.)
Of course, it is happier. I know with you tender loving care, that that plant will thrive!
I am a big fan of penstemons and had one called garnet, though not sure where it has gone as thre is no sign of it this year. The currants are fairing well thank you Fennie.
Odd to think of labels becoming a thing of the past - do you think people are printing their own? Much to think about here x
So you're a rescuer of lost cause plants too?!! Good on you.
It is quite terrifying seeing so many businesses going under - the main streets of Llandudno were astonishing - so many empty shops. I do hope your own enterprise keeps ticking over - surely we all need to label (ourselves, if nothing else - to remember who we are!). janex
What a great post this is in all kinds of ways. Wistful and positive too. I hope your label business continues and thrives. And your Pennisetum plant!
Yes, neolithic too (so much, too much for just one post) - for anyone else reading this who won't understand the link to pot plants, this is in reference to Fennie's comment on my blog!
You simply MUST go - you (of all people) would love it on so many levels.
Post a Comment