Thursday, 7 May 2009

CAERPHILLY AND THE SLEEPING HABITS OF THE FRENCH



Stung out of my blogging laziness by Jane who is blogging on roller-coasters somewhere in the exotic Florida never-never land even as I speak, I can only tell you that I have boringly spent a deprived day in that mecca of the wilderness otherwise known as Llandrindod Wells: you know where you have to exit the hotel to find a two bar mobile phone signal and where, some years ago, I was reliably informed, by no lesser authority than the Mayor, that tourists flocked because nothing ever happened there after 7pm and therefore that they could go early to bed safe in the comforting knowledge that they would not be disturbed.

It was, yet again, the machinations of UNESCO that drew me to those parts: we have members in North Wales and South Wales and therefore Llandrindod - Parish of the Trinity in English - represents approximately equal misery for all. The ‘Wells’ part of the name seems to be a kind of Victorian fiction to which towns in these parts (Llanwrtyd is another) are much given to adding to their titles as a extra species of embellishment for those for whom 7pm is a watershed behind which lurks the devil and alcohol.

Even more misery for me, in fact, as I had to divert in the rush hour traffic to Caerphilly to collect an otherwise immobile member. Do try to visit Caerphilly, once in a lifetime, for it is indeed a surreal experience. The closest thing I can find to describe it is that painting by Magritte of a businessman with an apple for a face who ends life being played by Piers Brosnan in the Thomas Crown Affair.

Well, Caerphilly is just an ordinary town, a very ordinary town in fact in the best tradition of urban Welsh ugliness, but there - in its not so muffled middle, by the pump and the town clock and the welfare hall in widows weeds, almost frisking with discomfort as if it had sat unexpectedly on a thistle, sits Caerphilly Castle, the second largest moated castle in Europe (after Windsor seeing you ask). Golly it’s huge when set among the pharmacies and pound stores and the Harold Wilson Industrial Estate

This morning with the sun shining down out of a grey and damp sky, Caephilly castle looked exactly as if must have done 460 years ago when Oliver Cromwell blew it up - well not all of it, that would have taken a minor weapon of mass destruction, but at least one of its towers, which remains cracked and leaning to this day.

So there we are, Caerphilly, and I am asking myself how can I possibly make the retreat to what I wanted to write about which was the sleeping habits of the French. I am like an actor who knows they have gone wrong on stage and is desperately trying to ad lib with lines approximately appropriate to the plot and resisting the temptation to invent something totally bewildering such as ‘Yes, darling, but have you actually read the story of the Plantagenet Parakeet?’

I fear that there is no easy way back, so like a car racing towards a crevasse just please close your eyes and grit you teeth and....... there we are - the French spend more time sleeping and eating than most people and also live longer, according to a fresh study by the Paris-based Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

With an average of almost nine hours per day, "the French spend more time sleeping than anyone else in OECD countries," the survey unveiled last Monday (4 May) shows.

The French are followed by the Americans and the Spanish, with both nations sleeping around eight and a half hours per day.

At the other end of the scale, with an hour less than the French, Japanese and Korean people sleep the least among the 30 member countries of the OECD, at around seven hours and 50 minutes a day.

The French, who are known worldwide for their culinary skills, also "devote more time to eating than anyone else and nearly double that of Americans, Canadians or Mexicans," the OECD, says.

They spend more than two hours a day eating, followed by the New Zealanders and Japanese, who also spend close to two hours daily at the table.

In Italy, which is another country with a worldwide culinary reputation, and Belgium, people spend around one hour and 50 minutes a day eating.

Spaniards, Germans, Poles and Swedes also spend more than an hour and a half a day eating, while Finns, Norwegians and Britons spend the least time at the table (around one hour and 20 minutes).

Their way of life seems to have an impact on French people's life expectancy, since they are among the top three nations living the longest, together with the Japanese and Spaniards.

An average Japanese woman lives to almost 86 years, while a man lives to 79. French and Spanish women live up to 84.4 years, and men 77.3 and 77.7 years respectively.

Hungarians are the European OECD nation to live the shortest lives, with women's life expectancy at 77.4 years and men's at 69.

The survey, called "Society at a Glance," also looked into leisure time in 18 of the 30 countries where data was available.

It found Norwegians spend the most time on leisure – around 27 percent of their time, followed by Finns, Germans and Belgians who all spend around a quarter of their time on their favourite activities.

There were gaps between men and women's leisure time however, notably in some countries.

In Italy, men have around 80 minutes more a day of leisure time than women. By contrast, Norway appears to be the most equal society in that respect, with men and women having practically the same amount of leisure time.

Most of that time people spend watching TV, listening to the radio or on "other leisure activities," while attending events and practicing sports remain rather unpopular, taking not more than six to seven percent of people's time.

Visiting or entertaining friends is also a popular free time activity, especially in certain countries.

Turks spend around 34 percent of their time "entertaining friends," making them the most "sociable nation," followed by New Zealanders (24%), Canadians (21%), Americans (16%) and Koreans (16%).

Europeans come out as much less generous in that respect, with people in Germany and Spain spending not more than four percent of their time "entertaining" or visiting their friends, the OECD says.

All of which (after the Caerphilly bit!) I have taken word for word, with only the occasional comma inserted, from the pages of EUobserver, so let it not be said that I am not doing my bit for greater integration, especially if means that we end up like the French - sleeping for nine hours a day and eating for two. And that is exactly what I shall be doing, all being well very shortly - and in the Auverne too.

I knew there was a reason for the 35 hour week if really you looked for it.

14 comments:

Brown Dog said...

Ooh, great excitement at being the very first comment here!

I love statistics - however I'd like to know how they work them out - and have been recently bandying around one I read in the Guardian a couple of weeks ago to the effect that while the population of France is in the region of 61 million, they have something like 76 million foreign visitors a year, which is a bit mindboggling. I'm not surprised the French and Japanese spend most time eating, though - eating is very much a social ritual in both countries - but, interestingly, I'm sure obesity levels are pretty low in both countries. So clearly it's to do with quality rather than quantity. V envious of your forthcoming trip to Auvergne, though - have happy memories of that part of France.

Oh, and my dog has been in the moat at Caerphilly castle, by the way. He came out very smelly.

arosebyanyothername said...

Well, nobody asked me about my sleeping habits which is just as well as due to Rufus I am averaging about 6 hours a night. It is a good job that due to absence of a passport yet he is not going to the Auvergne so we shall all get more sleep.
I wonder if any one else got the reference to the 'Plantagenet Parakeet?'
I have stayed in Llandrindod Wells and it certainly is a dozy place. I was on a bridge weekend so we livened it up a bit but it was tough going. We sat in the park and watched old men sail boats on the pond - that sort of thing. And the shops closed on Saturday afternoons.

Pondside said...

Over here yesterday we were treated to screaming headlines about Canadians' lack of balance - we sleep less, eat faster and work more than the French. When did the French way become the standard to which we all aspire? Perhaps I haven't spent enough time in the right parts of France because my experience thus far, in city and town, has been generally with rude, ill-looking people. One exception comes to mind but that was in a hotel owned by middle-easterners.
Whew - that sounded cranky indeed, but I am still shaking my head over the EU's decision that sealing is a horror while forcing pounds of corn down the throat of an unwilling goose is yummy.
Oh dear, Fennie - what a rant that was.......have a good time in France! xo

Minnie said...

The French sleep more than ... no! No, no, no: tell that to all my nocturnal neighbours 'nissarts' (who nonetheless rise early).
But 'yes' to the time spent in France eating, pausing over a coffee and chatting with all comers, after ritual exchange of several kisses (while simultaneously conducting megaphonic monologue on mobile).
And Sarko's done for the 35-hour week - more's the pity: so much more civilised than working week chez 'les anglo-saxons', and yet allowing France to maintain productivity levels near double those achieved in UK.
Caerphilly Castle's gorgeous - and Great comments putting 'Llandod' firmly and elegantly in its place, the upstart! Who - or where - does it think it is, Tenbury Wells?
Another super blog, thank you.

Phoenix C. said...

Those statistics are interesting. A lot of the people I know work nearly all the time and then catch up on chores!

I noticed the leaning tower on the Castle, and thought it was my astigmatic vision - and then read your historic information! Really enjoyed your post.

Faith said...

Love castles that still have water in the moat. Amberley that we visited recently was filled in, but it is a hotel now I suppose! 'Plantagenet Parakeet' puts you at the top of 822 entries on Google! interesting statistics Fennie!

Calico Kate said...

Really interesting but I was waiting for the punch line about the Brits!
Will have to google 'Plantagenet Parakeet' as I'm afraid Rosie I didn't get 'it'.
I love old castles having been brought up with Ludlow Castle very much featuring in my life, haven't been to Caerphilly castle or infact much of Wales at all. Maybe one day.
Great post, hope you slept well!
CKx

Pipany said...

I spend a good deal of time eating so what will that do for me! I wonder if the high percentage of olive oil and fish oild used by theose long-lived countries makes a difference? Interesting Fennie x

Chris Stovell said...

But will the French sleep even more if they visit Llandrindod Wells?

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Now I am much taken with the idea of sleeping longer and spending more time on meals. I think you may have just revealed to me the meaning of life.

Milla said...

Yes, I love stats, too. But by yours, I must be more French than the French. ANd don't worry about neat segues, or ones involving dangerous cars, we just want to read what you write however you get there.

Milla said...

a wee award for you, dear thing, over on mine

Jan said...

Your post heading would be a very good title for a novel...
which would probably go on to win at least The Booker Prize...
A Good read!
Thanks!

Sam Fox said...

Ha, so us Kiwi's are good at Eating and Entertaining (bending the elbow!!!) Well there ya go!