Saturday, 27 June 2009

HOW TO THROW A PARTY

This week I attended a party. My neighbour, Annie, had just turned 60 and she was entertaining the neighbours and a few friends. We were 10 altogether - a happy and intimate number for a party - large enough to be interesting but small enough for everybody to feel part of single group. The invitation said come at 6.30 for canapés, cake and champagne. So we did.

Different people have their own party ‘style.’ For my father, whose parties I observed fascinated from the shrubberies of childhood, the important thing was to create an atmosphere.

On one occasion he placed white candles in little bowls of water all over the back lawn. They flickered as the sun went down transforming the whole garden into a giant birthday cake for Jacqueline, then a current French water skiing champion, who was an improbable guest.

What the elegant Jacqueline, who must have been learning English, thought of this I have no idea. Sitting there on the fringes, sipping my one dilute glass from the great fruit-laden punch bowl, listening to the guests, one of whom hailed from the South American Pampas, it was all quite impossibly romantic. The image of that summer evening has remained with me ever since.

Perhaps from this came my love of fire, particularly outdoors. A torch burning in the night, reflected in the water of lake or river, still excites a feeling of romance - of a new, free and heightened world out their in the blackness beyond the flames, in which anything might be possible. Even a bonfire in the cold November darkness triggers much the same mystery and magic; spells and cauldrons and whizz-bangs.

Still, one of the difficulties with parties is knowing properly not how to start them but how to end them without the conclusion being an anti-climax. How to begin a party is relatively easy; but how to end it happily when palates are jaded, bellies full and lids perhaps beginning to droop is not.

I know this is the case with my own parties around the dinner table. Lack of party confidence, I suppose, propels us towards big meals: nibbles, starters, mains, dessert, cheese and coffee, with various wines as appropriate.

The first hour when people are sitting in the sun, munching on olives and pistachios, enjoying a chilled beer or a glass of rosé are wonderful. But the mood and the conversation become heavier with the calories and ever larger amounts of alcohol are required to keep afloat. Although guests tend to be effusive in their thanks, too often I wonder if they are not really retiring hurt.

One of our frequent guests, who was also present at Annie’s party is Linda, who, in some past life, must have been a grand society hostess. By some magical osmotic process people from all walks of life and of all ages just arrive at her house in the evening where there is often some impromptu party going on.

She has the curious knack of creating an ambiance from no more than a twinkle of an eye and which makes very different people reach out to each other like long lost friends. It would be impossible to imagine a group of men huddled to talk about sport and another group of women gossiping in her house.

How this happens I do not know for apart from a few olives and crisps and of course wine - Linda chooses her wines carefully and well - she never prepares for these events in any way. Yet they are all superb.

But of all the party givers I know, I think that my neighbour Annie has to be the best. It helps that she is French and cooks superbly. But she is also an attentive hostess. She also makes a point of never drinking anything but champagne. As a result on her sixtieth birthday she looked not at day over 40 and as slim and svelte as she was long ago.

She serves food - even at a dinner party - only a little at a time. So that you really think that that plate of canapés was both the first and the last. And then just when you are convinced the party must be over another plate appears, freshly cooked and spiced. More champagne appears, another ice bucket.

Time passes seamlessly as the plates of spiced chicken, olives, delicate prawns, smoked salmon, are brought down the garden to where we are sitting by the summer rhubarb and wisteria. The champagne flows and although we have arrived at 6.30 we find that it is 11.30 and quite dark before we are saying our good byes to the company. Somehow, I calculate, I must have drunk the equivalent of a whole bottle of champagne, yet I feel neither more than pleasantly merry nor bloated with food.

For five hours we have teased each other, made jokes, created fantasies, set the world to rights, heard travellers’ tales, swopped books and recipes and stories of woe - but mostly rejoiced in our own eclectic company. It was, I have to admit, a very good party.

15 comments:

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Sounds like a wonderful party - champagne flowing, platters of delicately spiced offerings appearing at regular intervals. Just the sort of party I'd have loved. The secret is probably not just in the food and the setting, but in the balance of guests and the skill of the host in ensuring no one dominates the show or is left on the sidelines feeling like a wallflower. I'm always so terrified of getting it wrong that I avoid giving parties like the plague these days. And you're quite right - starting a party is easy, it's finishing it that's more tricky. When I lived in France it was a standing joke that the hosts would start serving orange juice when it was time to go home, and at wedding parties, putting High Ho Silver Lining would be a big hint.

(By the way, I'm not at all surprised you feel drawn to fire with that girt big Leo moon...)

Top blog, by the way.

Frances said...

Fennie, the very astute LBD has already written what I was going to try to say. Of course, she expressed herself much more beautifully than I could have done.

Only thing that I might add is that it is easier, for me anyway, to be a guest than a hostess. I do admire friends who seem to be able to fill both roles with panache.

xo

Milla said...

yes it was wonderful and given due dueness (sorry, too tired from own carousing last night to think of a proper word) by your beautiful words - oh dear, a repetition so soon. I am going to pot. Luckily ours last night had a natural ending, in that all the men present were off at the crack of dawn today canoeing (now in its 11th year, E is even now living it up in Ross after a hard day). Well, that was the idea. The others left but one of them, up from Cornwall before the big meet today, was staying with us. So, I cleared up and they ... stayed up and we all went to bed far too late, esp them up so early and with a hard day on the river ahead of them. I'm clearly a lightweight. Ours was a good evening - of a different sort, that of very old friends which takes the stress out of it all massively. We all know each others pitfalls. God I'm rambling on . Sorry! lovely blog.

Norma Murray said...

Parties with words are so much more enjoyable than parties with music and noise. Next time ask me too, Fennie. Please!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Sounds just perfect. I never quite know whether ours will be great or not quite and it doesn't seem to be anything I can plan for! I shall take my cue next time from the slow serving of excellent food - sounded just exactly right. And I love fire or candles outside too. Full of promise of something not quite of this world.

Cait O'Connor said...

I am not a party lover, giving or attending but your neighbour's party did sound perfect I have to say.

Rob-bear said...

Wow! Sounds like a wonderful time.

Like Cait, I'm not much of a party person. But the party you attended could have changed my mind.

Pipany said...

I am truly awful at throwing parties Fennie. Complete lack of party confidence and latent shyness makes it a trial for me to even contemplate. Will the food be right? Will everyone be bored? Will they even come? Oh it goes on. Like the idea of more informal, trickle feeding of guests and can see how it would work too x

Pipany said...

Meant to say I share your love of fire, from a candle to a raging bonfire. I love them all!

Chris Stovell said...

Wonderful images conjured up there, candlelight flickering in the fading night (which brought back memories of my own) the glamorous French hostess cleverly creating an evening to remember. You sound all afterglowy from it, Fennie!

Faith said...

Like Cait and Pipany, I am a bit of a party avoider Fennie. Tend to dread them, and then enjoy them in the end. I was always good at doing parties for my girls though. Like your father, I like creating an atmnosphere or theme though. I can just picture little Fennie sipping diluted punch and watching wide-eyed. xx

Friko said...

A lovely post, it does so conjure up warm summer nights and happy evenings spent in the company of friends - if you are lucky. Parties can be very boring; in my experience a hostess may have to "mop up" a whole raft of past invitations and guests are collected without a thought to their congeniality.

For my own summer evening parties I twist wires round the tops of jam jars, drop lit night lights in and hang them in the trees around the lawn. Magic.

Pondside said...

I love a good party, Fennie. I think that what makes a party great is the planning - I plan every detail, and then just jump in and enjoy my guests.
I love the idea of canapes, cake and champagne - may copy it one day soon!

Vagabonde said...

I have been blog jumping and arrived at your blog somehow – it looks very interesting and I shall come back. I see in the comments that my friend Friko visits your blog as well. It’s way past midnight here, so I’ll see you soon. Your cow is adorable.

janicebotterill said...

Sometimes I think 'party-giving' has turned into one of our modern anxieties. We worry that our party will not be good enough, that our invitees will not have a good time, that, somehow our party might be judged. I believe it's better to have a party/ gathering/get together than not to have one at all. Like your neighbours, I prefer smaller, more impromptu gatherings with a little wine, a few nibbles, some good music and a hefty dose of engaging company.