Saturday, 15 August 2009

WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS...



Our latest play ‘Art’ is ‘coming along.’ It is grinding its way along the bumpy road that leads from the first play reading to the congratulatory theatre supper on the Saturday night after the last performance. In between everyone puts in a lot of work. Frustrations abound, we take a step back or sideways for every two that we go forward, in short we ‘come along.’ The Director (Rosie) has the hard job of keeping sufficient momentum to afford steerage way. Feathers through treacle!

But slowly it is taking shape, as plays always do. The approach of opening night concentrates the mind wonderfully. Lines are learnt (or almost so); the set is built (or almost so); the props and dressing in place (or almost so). We even have a brand new grey sofa from IKEA, very comfortable. It plays its part perfectly; it is the only presence on stage that doesn’t overact.

'Art' is a play that demands strong emotion: not a lot of shouting or anger necessarily, though there is that, but simply emotion. Therein lies my problem. I am finding that, at the moment, I can’t easily successfully act and remember my lines.

I remember Alan Bennett talking once about how much good actors ‘emote.’ He was talking after doing a piece with Maggie Smith, who I suppose emotes more than most: those flashing eyes, the gracious sweeps of the limbs, the whooping voice, that crystal delivery in which you can hear every letter, let alone every syllable.

Emoting on stage is not hard - for me anyway - it seems to flow naturally from the words, but it is easy to get so caught up in the feverish intensity of the moment that suddenly - at the end of a passage - you find yourself like a flushed and stranded fish with mouth open and nothing coming out. The mind mechanisms have crashed and like awaking from a deep sleep in a panic in some strange bed you can’t remember where you are.

Of course this sort of thing is worse if you are tired or stressed or if you feel, as I did earlier this week, that I was incubating swine flu. (I’m not as it happens, but thanks for asking) Mistake followed mistake. I was conflating lines and missing cues with abandon. A toy train coming off the rails, but still bouncing valiantly along the track.

As it happened, the previous night Welsh television had re-transmitted a film about Richard Burton, who grew up not a great many miles from where I live now, the twelfth Welsh-speaking child in a family of thirteen. His father was a coal miner in the Welsh pit village of Pontrhydyfen; his mother, who died when he was two, a teacher.

‘Adopted’ by his English master in the grammar school in English-speaking Port Talbot, Philip Burton set about training him as an actor, transforming his high and strongly accented Welsh voice into the deep growl that became so famous.

I loved that voice, so strong, sonorous, resonating. Burton developed it by reciting large chunks of Shakespeare to the sheep high on the windy mountainsides of South Wales. Once this ability to speak in the open air was common among actors and politicians - Lloyd George, once addressed 10,000 people on a Caernarvon mountainside while Queen Victoria used to complain that Prime Minister William Gladstone addressed her as though she were a public meeting, so penetrating was his voice. But that’s all something of the past, diction today is a forgotten art.

Back to my own sad performance. Stumbling in the middle of yet another passage I found myself thinking of the Burton film. And suddenly to the blackness of the ether I transmitted a silent cry for help: “I’m in the s***t down here, Richard, what can I do?”

In an instant I had an answer. Like a text message to the head; a text that growled and burnt into my brain.

“Concentrate on the delivery of the words.”

I knew instantly what that meant. Instead of trying to focus on a line or on an emotion, I should instead concentrate on the delivery of each word, rolling the key ones around and spitting them out with particular stress, enjoying the tone of a word and the pattern of its syllables and making the audience appreciate it too. Not line by line, but word by word.

Did it work? Well, yes, strangely, it did. I became calmer, the lines more focused. But like much of such advice it is easier said than done. It is not simple to concentrate on the delivery of the words in a fast moving dialogue when you have to take in and react to the facial expressions of others.

But, as a technique for projecting Shakespeare to startled sheep on a mountainside it is, I am sure, infallible. “Once more unto the breach, dear friends..........”

13 comments:

Elizabethd said...

What an unforgettable man he was..I can imagine him being a wonderful mentor.

arosebyanyothername said...

Fennie is doing fine. At least he doesn't have to cry on stage.

The play will come - and go as plays always do and then it will be on with the next one.

The stage manager and I painted the flats and bits of furniture today.

Pipany said...

Loved this Fennie. Burton's voice is/was one that stays in the memory so clearly isn't it? Good luck with the play xx

Frances said...

Fennie, I so wish that I could see ART or another of the plays in which you and Rosie are involved. I really admire your dedication.

Yes, Richard Burton is one to learn from. Over the years in my job, I have had occasion to meet Claire Bloom many times. I always wanted to ask her about the making of The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, but never quite got the courage. (She's lovely, and very easy to talk with, so perhaps next time I see her, I will ask.)

Best wishes. xo

Faith said...

Richard Burton always sends a shiver! super photo of him by the way, and good luck with the play - you sound like the great man himself is helping out.

Brown Dog said...

Ooh, a text-message to the head from the great RB himself - that must surely galvanise one into action on the boards. Love Richard Burton. Particularly love the way he reads Under Milk Wood - perfection. I was just thinking today, that would have to be one of my Desert Island Discs. Not sure what the sheep will make of Shakespeare, though.

Pondside said...

Of course you'll be fine, Fennie. If you get into any little difficulty, just text RB again.
I feel a bit like a philistine or something equally unsavory when I say that I never really liked RB at all and found his voice annoying - wanted him to just clear his throat and get on with it.
Sorry!

Friko said...

A delightful post.
If you have the great ham RB himself on your side, then nothing can go wrong. I've never experienced him on stage (nor the other one,Larry Olivier) - but hearing him read is enough to send shivers down the spine.
Hals- und Beinbruch!

Chris Stovell said...

I bet your performance is anything but sad! All respect to you for being brave enough to stand on a stage before an audience, I'd rather be out on a boat - and that's saying something. And your sofa's a far better actor than me too! Burton's voice, such a thing of beauty - and if you're channelling Burton you'll be amazing!

mountainear said...

I admire your bravery too - I'm more of a behind the scenes person. Anything to avoid getting up there emoting or otherwise.

Young Farmers' theatricals aside the last theatre I saw was a touring RST production of the Canterbury Tales - and how wonderful to hear Chaucer's words spoken so well. Very bawdy and a good laugh too.

Vagabonde said...

I think as they say here “I would be in stitches” if I had to speak at a play. First of all, after all these years, I still have a French accent – not too strong but noticeable enough for everyone to ask me “and where are you from?” I do not hear my accent, but when I am nervous, read aloud, or am stressed ..I can hear it, so it must sound awful. I guess I could do the part of a French maid in a play? You are a strong person I am sure and must be a great performer. And yes I thought Richard Burton was a “presence” if you know what I mean.

Frances said...

Fennie, you really are too kind.

Thank you for your comments on my post. And also for your comments on the NHS.

I really fear that my country just won't be able to have the courage to split off from the control of various vested interests to allow all of us to get good medical care.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.