Thursday, 10 September 2009

Leprechauns, Mermaids and Copenhagen


We’re gearing up for the Climate Change blogging competition: the Copenhagen programme has arrived and I’m looking forward to it immensely. It seems excellently planned with an interesting mix between technical and information sessions and then there’s the EcoVisit - namely to the Dyssekilde Ecovillage in Torup, North Sealand with, on the way, a photo-opportunity at Middelgrunden Wind park. Can you park wind, I ask? (Note to self: Don’t be facetious): the ecological village has a population of 130 adults and 50 children who share a vision of a socially, economically and ecologically sustainable community.

The village has its own school and kindergarten, and it is divided into five housing areas with very interesting architecture. (I wonder what that means?) We are enjoined to wear sensible shoes as Dyssekilde only has dirt roads, and there will be coffee, tea, fresh fruit and vegetable snacks waiting for us upon arrival.

More prosaically, I am looking forward to seeing the city of Copenhagen and the little Mermaid - though I have in my possession a miniature statue of it sent to me by someone in Finland called Tea Maria with whom, very many years ago, I used to have long and rather sad discussions about Leprechauns, examples of whose enchanting presence have never quite made it, apparently, across the North and Baltic Seas.

Finland, we concluded, would suit Leprechauns very well as the folk there are always in need of mended shoes and, moreover, have a penchant for gold which Leprechauns would surely have no trouble at all in filing away. It is one of the wonders of nature that in all the history of the Scandinavian invasions of Ireland not one of the little green men ever managed to secrete himself and his whiskers aboard a Viking longship and return to the land of Thor. (Or maybe he did - cue for a story here perhaps).

Anyway, I have had little to do with Copenhagen in the past. It’s somewhere I have never managed to see much of, though I do have early morning memories of a crossing to Malmo once and seeing Hamlet’s castle - Elsinore - through the mist.

Shakespeare’s full play by lasts for four hours. I have seen a ‘lite’ version done in two, which was fast moving and pacy. Also great fun. But now I have come across a version of Hamlet reduced to a single act of fifteen scenes. Hamlet in 45 minutes! Maybe we shall have some fun with that at Christmas here in our little drama society.

But enough, I must turn my thoughts to climate change. Reading up background material to prepare for the next three months I am becoming ever more depressed. What with glaciers crumbling, deserts growing, forests disappearing, dead zones in the ocean; one group of scientists saying ‘we must,’ while another, equally eminent, says ‘no - that’s too dangerous!’ Just say ‘nuclear power’ and you see what I mean.

And last night I watched a television programme about trawlermen fishing in the North Sea. Scooping up at great expense - or so it seemed to me - quantities of immature fish. Is it any wonder that we find we have problems with the climate when the oceans - representing two thirds of our planet’s surface - are dying?

Still, depressing though it is, I am finding it hard to find coherent explanations of what is happening and what we should do about it. I hope for enlightenment in Copenhagen - though whether from the Mermaid, the non-existent Leprechauns or even Hamlet is unclear.
The earth is shrouded not in mist but in a blanket of excess carbon. Even if all man-made emissions stopped tomorrow I read that this excess blanket of some 250 gigatonnes (Gt) worth of CO2 would take a long time to go away. And in the meantime the earth will continue to heat up - won’t it?

Yet the major part of our effort and the focus of our politicians seems to be in saving relatively small amounts of emissions - and in this context 20 or 30 per cent is small. The blanket will still be getting thicker, the earth hotter.

Something else I find hard to understand is why, when the total annual natural carbon flux between the atmosphere and the land and sea is of the order of 200 Gt in each direction, why the relatively small amount (in proportion) of man-made emissions (say around 6-8 Gt currently) should be causing such a problem.

This is not in any way to deny the realities of climate change or the role of carbon dioxide in exacerbating it - simply to pose the question: is the problem more to do with the environment’s failing capacity to absorb carbon than with our fossil fuel burning habits in particular?

Because you see - and this is what I do find truly depressing - we have been busy despoiling the environment for as long as we have been burning fossil fuels. We have even reached the absurd situation where we engage in deforestation practices to plant oil crops to turn into fossil fuel replacements.

What if the environment becomes so damaged that it cannot even cope with natural emissions of CO2? What then? The atoms of the carbon blanket in the sky are not labelled with where they came from. The carbon dioxide from the compost in my garden, from my breath and your breath and the respiration of cells generally, from evaporation out of the sea, is exactly the same carbon dioxide that comes from a coal-fired power station.

That seems to me the really depressing thought and a compelling reason to lighten, drastically, the environmental load we impose on our fragile planet and to plant trees and grow shellfish (whose shells lock carbon away for a million years) wherever we can.

So for these reasons I am doubly looking forward to my visit to Dyssekilde Ecovillage (not forgetting the coffee, tea, fresh fruit and vegetable snacks will be there upon arrival! And should any Leprechaun be reading this and wishes to hitch a ride then he will be welcome to join me so long as he doesn’t mind travelling as hand luggage.

9 comments:

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Goodness, you're such a fount of information, Fennie! I had no idea about shellfish (how do they do it?) or the annual natural carbon flux. The more I learn, the more I realise this is an incredibly complex problem and absolutely everything in the world - whether we like it or not - is somehow interconnected. Things like dragging immature fish from the depths of the ocean and tearing out tropical rainforests to make way for biocarbon plants make me feel incredibly depressed. And hearing the other day that some minor celebrity was complaining on the plane he was flying on as part of the Cape Farewell project that they didn't have recycling facilities for his coke can just makes me put my head in my hands and weep. Where on earth do you start?

Well done for getting involved, though.

Fennie said...

Actually, LBD, the shellfish thing is really my own idea. It's the result of my loving oysters. Ever tried to get rid of an oyster shell? Yet it's full of CO2. (Pour acid over it and CO2 will be given off - like from limestone). Given sufficient oysters we wouldn't have a CO2 problem. I am over simplifying of course in a giant way - but that essentially is my case. Oysters (and similar species)are really nothing more than (very small) stone trees from a carbon point of view. Or anyway so I think until someone proves me wrong.

Pondside said...

Whew - what a lot in one post Fennie - and that's not a complaint, really. There's nothing like a nice, meaty blog post to remind me why I log on to read!
Climate change, our relationship, as humans with the everything around us - you can't live on this island and not be aware. We may not fish salmon anymore - even the aboriginal fishery on the Fraser is banned this year. Over-fishing, ill-run fish farms that spread sea-lice, giant factory ships.....and our once teeming waters don't support much salmon anymore.
On a lighter note - Den lille Haufrue was my favorite HC Andersen story. The Great Dane knows that I only married him because he has family in Odense (Andersen's one time home) and Copenhagen. We have SO many photos taken with the statue! In fact, there is a little mermaid replica by the pond here at Pondside.
Regarding the leprechauns.....the Danes and Norwegians have their Nissmann. I'll have to blog about them, as they are essential to our Christmas celebrations. Which came first though...the nisse or the leprechaun????

Chris Stovell said...

Fennie I started to read this the other night but I'm reading 'The Road' at the moment and I didn't have the heart to read about the planet imploding as well. In the bright light of day I congratulate you for getting involved and think that the oyster idea is a belter.

I detect there is a story about Tea Maria... Anyway, the Copenhagen trip sounds fascinating - with or without leprechauns.

Frances said...

Hello Fennie,

I so look forward to what you will write as a result of your trip to Denmark.

This post is so well written, and is filled with information that should concern everyone. It truly has been time, for some time, for those living on this planet to take much better care of our world.

Best wishes. xo

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I am overwhelmed and silenced, nearly. I do hope the Copenhagen trip sheds some light on what to do and say. I looked at the blogging comp but couldn't think of how to partipate as my own feeling is that we have mucked it up big time and the world is going down the toilet. I try not to believe this.

Milla said...

oh everyone else has put it so much better. But what a good piece of (terrifying) writing. I, too, started reading this last week, and then we had one of our endless power cuts and then I didn't log on again, as I hadn't meant to be on computer at all. But the first half of your blog was playing around in my head so back I came on again, in "permitted time" this morning. You are very wise.

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.c-online-casino.co.uk/]uk online casino[/url] coincide the latest [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com/]online casinos[/url] autonomous no deposit perk at the foremost [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]casino online
[/url].

Anonymous said...

We [url=http://www.onlinecasinos.gd]blackjack[/url] obtain a rotund library of totally freed casino games for you to monkey tricks right here in your browser. Whether you call for to procedure a mesa encounter plan or even-handed try elsewhere a insufficient original slots before playing in the direction of real money, we have you covered. These are the exacting still and all games that you can play at earnest online casinos and you can part of them all in requital for free.