
There's a new shopping centre opened in Cardiff. St David's 2. (St David's 1 opened almost 25 years ago and so has eighties written all over it). This one is modern and futuristic; great wide malls and soaring ceilings. Influenced I guess by New York or Milan - somewhere continental anyway where space isn't at a premium.
The shops are correspondingly big - and not all are brash. Some are actually quite elegant. Like those selling jewellery and watches.
Despite this being the time of year when advertisements for expensive watches crowd the Christmas pages of every glossy magazine, I've never really paid them much attention before. Watches that is. But here I was outside some great emporium whose windows were filled with those brands beloved of the advertisers and counterfeiters - Rolex, Omega, Breitling, IWC, Tag Heuer, Patek Phillippe, Tissot, Rotary, Seiko and the rest. (If some of these brands rank themselves too exclusive to be sold in Cardiff emporia, then I apologise in advance. I really can't remember exactly what I saw except a numbing sameness).
But what really disturbed me were the prices! These are always carefully excluded from the full page glossy advertisements of John Travolta beside some racy aerobatic single-seat plane or the one of the proud father and his intimidated and gauche-looking son.
The little price tags in the window spoke of £2,000, £3,000. £4,000, £5,000! Five thousand pounds! For a watch?
You can buy a perfectly adequate watch these days for less than you'd pay for a half-good bottle of wine. Indeed you can buy timepieces in the market for less than the cost of a cup of coffee.
Now of course you get what you pay for. And I have no doubt that some of the expensive watches do a great many things with an accuracy hitherto unknown to science. But who really needs a chronometer?
There are of course occasions when people need to time things accurately. But isn't it easier to use a stopwatch? And who, apart perhaps from a round-the-world yachstman actually needs a chronometer when radio is there to give us a time check every hour, on the hour.
My electric £20 watch - gold plated, slim, tan strap - never needs winding and tells me the time to within 2 seconds each year. Who needs more?
So it isn't waterproof down to 60 metres or whatever - but then I have no plans to go scuba diving and even if I had would I really want to dive with a watch costing several thousand pounds?
So why do people buy these chunky, all singing, all dancing, ridiculously over-engineered slabs to put on their wrists? I mean it is not even as though they look attractive. The womens' versions are smaller, lighter, but even they fail to look anything but ugly, even with a coarse (and mightily expensive) facelift of diamond studding.
Where has elegance gone? Why don't Apple Macintosh make watches?
********
I've had a cold most of the week. It started at the weekend and by Tuesday evening I thought I was over the worst of it. I was due to attend a meeting in London on Wednesday; my ticket was bought - it seemed wimpish to cancel. And in fact although the day itself went quite well (apart from a delayed arrival due to a 'fatality on the line') my energy levels held up and without undue coughing and sneezing. Yet I felt infectious and wondered whether I should really have stayed at home? On the other hand, sandwiched on the tube I had at least three people coughing and spluttering over me. Other people spluttered when in a spare hour I looked in at the British Museum. Can one get two colds at once, I wanted to ask myself? And if not why not?

16 comments:
Totally with you on the watch thing, Fennie. I think it must be like the car thing, which I've never understood - I can only conclude that it's not what it does, or even what it looks like, it's what it says about you. I've had my (slightly battered) Tin Tin watch for getting on for 20 years, and I wouldn't change it for the snazziest chronometer known to man. In a way, I suppose it does the same job as the Tags and the Rolexes - telling the time apart, that is. What it says about me is Tin Tin - Ace Reporter. I think I can live with that.
You could say the same about many things: cars, tvs, clothes, etc, etc! Modern world eh?!
Hope your feeling better now :o)
I can not bear watches I seem to have an inbuilt timer so am quite good at guessing the time within a few minutes or so and rarely have to be anywhere on the dot or the world will end so never wear them. I used to sell big brash expensive watches in a jewellers when I was a saturday girl and found the more "common" and rougher the customer was the more expensive and flashy were the items they bought! Dire!!
ps get well soon !
Totally agree,!
I assume the watches cost so much because they have to pay the famous people to advertise them...no? vicious circle...
My friend kindly gave me her cold last week, I've handed it on to my husband now....
Take care
yep, just a big waste of money to show that you can afford to waste it in such a big way.
Hope you are feeling better now.
My leather watch band tore a couple of years ago and it was cheaper to buy a watch than to buy a leather band. Of course I bought my watch at the Unclaimed Luggage place in Alabama. This is where you can buy stuff from luggage lost in transit. Mine is Chinese in Chinese. I can’t read Chinese but I can see by the placement of the Chinese characters what time it is – I paid $10 for it (5 pounds?) and it ticks happily. Some people like to buy expensive things for a variety of reason – for status, because they like the quality and have loads of money, to make themselves feel good. I feel that whatever makes you happy – go for it. Life is short – if buying an expensive watch is your ideal in life – why not? But it’s not mine.
So right, Fennie! I just don't understand the whole car and watch status thing. The more gadgets there are, the more that can go wrong. My $10 no-name has been ticking for five years and my 'good watch' has been ticking for many many more.
Thank you for the comment on my blog - I have responded, if only to get some more discussion going. The Tar Sands are a blight on humanity.
Hi Fennie, I wandered into here from Pondside's blog and I've had a very interesting time reading your posts ...and I agree wholeheartedly about expensive watches. I've still got my wind-up watch that was an 18th birthday present 31 years ago! It still works and keeps perfect time - except the face is too small for me to read now, ho hum! Mind you, I only wear watches as 'makeup' as I've got a very accurate inbuilt clock in my head!
Hope you're over your cold now :)
Sigh, I'll take yours back to the shop then. Watches are the new status symbol it seems, but clearly we're all rising above that.
Hope you're on the mend now.
Hello Fennie,
I have just read the earlier St Nicholas post and thank you so much for refreshing my recollections of history and legend.
And now I read about watches. Conspicuous consumption was a term I learned back in economics class. Magazines are full of watch and handbag adverts. These seem to try to establish some sort of iconography. If we see these symbols over and over, we just might begin to remember which brand is which, and maybe desire will follow.
Whole thing makes me ill. Which reminds me to say that I do hope that you are feeling better. I'm also trying to oust my most recent cold. So many germs available in NYC, it's tricky to remail aloof.
Cheers!
Fennie, I am very behind on blog reading and am off now for a catch up on yours, but this one certainly rang a bell with me. I don't get it either. Most are as you say, so ugly and why would you spend so much? Hmm, off for more words of wisdom now x
I'm so with you on the watch thing Fennie. I have never understood it and why would anyone need more than one watch? Personally, I don't possess one and do not feel at all inconvenienced or deprived. But thousands of pounds on a watch? More money than sense, comes to mind
Alors! «Louis» is delighted to meet une autre vache in the blogosphere!
I never wear a watch. To me a car is a tin box on wheels that gets me from A to B.
I have had a horrid cold as well, I hope you are feeling better.
I have to echo Cait's comments re watches and cars. Goodness some people must be wealthy to spend that much on a watch....when people are starving....
Post a Comment