Saturday, 23 January 2010

ANYTHING TO AVOID A PROPER JOB


Looking over the accounts of the business this week I have concluded that the recession has at last caught up with Acme Labels Inc. We are down on last year and unless matters improve soon we shall be heading for Carey Street. Like all businesses we are subject to the vagaries of new and inconvenient technology and an ever-changing market; more and more people are printing their own labels these days (or making do without) and the High Street DVD rental shops that once formed our core market are now largely a relic of the past.

I am not yet ready to retire - nor can I afford to - so I have been idly flicking through job advertisements only to find myself shuddering at the thought of ever working again for someone other than myself.

I am fortunate in that the labels business is not our only source of income. I still do a little consultancy and writing. So I was really looking for further project and writing opportunities rather than a 9 to 5 job in a company. But what surprised me was the dread I encountered when contemplating the job descriptions that flashed up on the screen.

Fear of imprisonment would not be too strong a phrase to describe this; the fear both of physical incarceration in an office (often a great big office) and mental incarceration of being at someone else's beck and call the whole time.

This was the principal reason that I escaped from the Civil Service in mid career in 1982 - an act which every one of my contemporaries thought to be mad at the very least. Had I stayed I would now be enjoying a most comfortable pension and my salary would have mounted (I assume) rather nicely in the interim as well. I could have been a pillar of the community and, if I had been really effective, perhaps even received a minor honour as well. These things do happen.

But I felt then - and looking at today's job advertisements confirms this - that I was selling my soul. I needed to be free to do my own thing, work in my own way. I wanted to be creative. Consultancy was acceptable because I was largely on my own - I travelled a lot and I met many interesting people all over Europe. I was even, for a time, reasonably well rewarded, though my financial career has always resembled an alpine range in its high peaks and low troughs.

So I was cheered this week at the same time as peering into the next threatening financial abyss to read an account of work undertaken by the Institute of Employment Studies which shows that people who value creativity above wealth are actually happier and therefore better able to survive in these tough economic times without losing their equilibrium.

Many of these people (and I suspect that they include many of my friends on Purple Coo) make their living by mixing a range of free-lance projects and part-time jobs. They may not earn much, their report says, but working in this way does make them happy.

Three quarters, it suggests, are satisfied with their working arrangements as opposed to a national average figure of only 44 per cent.

What!? Less than half of all people working are happy with their lot? That adds up to a vast number of miserable people. And if each is dragging the other down it is no wonder we are a country beset by social problems. We may or we may not be a 'broken society' as David Cameron likes to claim, but we are certainly an unhappy and unfulfilled society if these figures are to be believed.

Certainly when I consider my contemporaries there are very few with whom I would rather change positions. And it would take wild horses to make me leave my comfortable little office (the smallest room in the house, but I like the feeling of snugness with everything to hand and no space for intruders), other than for a brief and occasional trip to London or Brussels for a little bit of work-related excitement.

The one thing that you could say about working in an organisation is that it provides a ready bunch of social acquaintances. In the 1960s and 70s when everyone went to the pub at lunchtime and on a Friday evening, this was all rather fun. But even that pleasure has gone today.

By contrast it is the stay-at-homers who now have all the fun using the time they don't spend commuting for social-networking on the internet, that great water-cooler in the sky.

So rather than being tempted back I shall just keep plodding on, confident in the knowledge that I am happy and that something will turn up. For that is what somethings always do, I tell myself; they turn up. Most people find a way of muddling through if the shoe really pinches. Having lost all his money, Jeffrey Archer sat down and wrote a best-seller. You never know, I may just have to do that. Anything to avoid a 'proper' job.

12 comments:

mountainear said...

Sorry to hear that the label business is in a trough. The Sits.Vac pages make dreary reading - hardly inspiring. Word of mouth might be a better tack - you must have some interesting contacts.

Best of luck.

Molly said...

I feel so sorry too. So many people are in your predicament these days. I used to work for Local Government and took early retirement when they re-organised. I loved the people I worked with but shoving bits of paper into bits of cardboard day after day after day drove me nearly insane and I couldn't help thinking that there was a better life out there somewhere. I was fortunate that I paid into a pension scheme and have a reasonable pension. I am on far less money but life is so much better. Keep plugging on- you never know what's waiting just over the horizon.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I cannot imagine that someone with your talents won't thrive, especially as for you thriving doesn't seem to mean a six figure salary. I am a huge believer in something turning up. Something has turned up for me, just as a result of being around and getting out and about. Good luck.

Pondside said...

I understand you aversion to jobdome - I hated it. I work hard, but at least I'm only at the beck and call of my own work ethic (no one else would work for me!). I agree with Elizabeth that something will turn up through your connections, cyber or face-to-face.

Vagabonde said...

I do hope something will turn up because once you have been free from regular office work in an outside company it would be quite hard to get back into it. I retired 2 years ago thinking I would work part time in my old company – and I constantly think I shall do it next week – but that week never comes and we make due. Stay optimistic.

walter and me said...

Thank you for your tip over at mine re unprocrastinating. I don't think I could work for someone else now...though money is often very tight, I would rather that than be told what to do by others!!
Whatever you decide, best of luck.
Diana x

Chris Stovell said...

Sorry to be so late coming to this, Fennie. Gosh, I had a shudder of heartfelt empathy with you there - I loathed having to dance to someone else's tune; imprisonment is not too strong a word. These days we live very hand to mouth (that's good, isn't it, when I'm about to jet off to New York? But that's only possible because we sold the boat to do it. Oh, and taking the most bargainous bargain we could find) but I wouldn't swap it. I might occasionally look at someone in a fabulous outfit, for example, and feel a tad envious but then I ask if they are X times happier in their £XX frock than I am in my Peaoocks jeans? I'm not being smug, just very, very grateful for the chance I had to change my life. Good luck, Fennie, something will turn up.

Fennie said...

Mountainear, Molly, thanks for your comments. The labels business won't suddenly stop, it's just that it has receded leaving a bit of an income gap. Fortunately there is a time gap, too, that can be filled with other things.

Elizabeth - whether I have talent or not I never quite seem to have the right talent in the right place at the right time. My other misfortune is that I am the kiss of death to most organisations (indeed all organisations that I contribute to seem to run into difficulties - though rarely as a result of anything I have done).

But Pondside, Vagabonde, Pebbledash and Chris amply confirm the report I quoted about people being far happier (even if poorer) working creatively for themselves.

Elizabethd said...

Fennie, I'm sure that with your talents you could write a most amusing book to rival Jeffery Archer et al.

Exmoorjane said...

Tagged, I fear (been along time since I've done one of these but it's pretty innocuous)... jxx

Mrs Jones said...

I so know what you mean, Fennie. I was a Departmental Administrator in a University for 10 years before I left in 2000 to do a Master's and then start lecturing. It didn't work out so I started my own business making jewellery. This has also now suffered over the last couple of years and I too have considered the job vacancies pages. But it brings me out in a cold sweat. Although I miss the social aspect of working in a large office, that's the only thing I do miss. I think I'd rather have worms than be that much at someone else's beck and call again. I'm very lucky in that The Husband works in consultancy so we're not on our uppers, but luxurious holidays and fancy meals out are currently not on the agenda, but we're both happy and I think that really counts for a lot.

Fennie said...

Elizabeth - oh you flatter me! Wish it were true. I'd be up writing at 6 every morning just like him.

Jane: OK I'll dredge up a memory - but of what, I wonder. Not ouija boards.

Mrs Jones - sorry that the job didn't work out but being free and creative is far better. Persist though - it takes a long time before a new venture becomes successful.