Sunday, 16 May 2010

LETTER TO AMERICA


My dear blogging friend, Frances, from New York, commented recently on a theatre production that I had just directed. What she wrote was: “I am curious to learn more about how your group arose, how long it's been going, whatever you'd like to tell, actually. It amazes me that folks are willing to give their time to such an activity...not just for one production, but for season after season.”

Well, let me try to respond to that. But before I do I have to say that I am astonished that a city like New York shouldn’t be teeming with amateur drama, opera, dance and circus groups of every kind, catering to every possible taste. While amateur theatre here in Britain may not be thriving quite so vibrantly as it did thirty or forty years ago, there is still a strong tradition of theatre over here.

As you know we Brits tend to be rather more formal, more constrained, less expressive of sentiment than many folk. We still try not to cry and to keep a stiff upper lip. Yet despite this stereotype - or maybe even because of it - we seize any opportunity to ‘let our hair down.’ Charades are played with vigour in elegant drawing rooms, regiments in the field hold concert parties, prisoners put on plays and pantomimes in jail, out of work actors ply for coins in the streets. (You can still see London people busking in Covent Garden, for example, by reciting Shakespeare).

Wanting to perform seems to me to be a basic human instinct. And acting when you can step for a moment out of your personality that everyone knows and metamorphose into a charmer or a villain is truly liberating. The shy person becomes the extrovert and the extrovert, fretful and shy. The young become old, the rich poor. In some bizarre sense which has to be experienced, the stage is a runway from which people can take off and remain airborne so long as the 650 watt spots play upon them. As a therapy for the wayward and for the deprived, the theatre is rightly acknowledged.

So that’s one reason why we do it. Another is the magnificent camaraderie. There are often fierce and spiteful battles too, but camaraderie wins each time. Not for nothing do theatre people call themselves ‘luvvies.’ You may think that calling people ‘darling’ all the time is repulsive - and it is a little - but a company in front of an audience does experience a feeling of togetherness, of experience shared, of genuine happiness that binds them together in such a way that they do feel like a family.

As the old song has it ‘there’s no business like show business’ - and that is true no matter on how humble a level the show may appear.

Our own theatre and our own little group started right after the Second World War ended. I am not familiar with the details but after the trauma of that experience folk rebuilt their communities after years of austerity and began to have fun again. At someone’s initiation a group came together here to put on plays.

You may think that is a difficult thing - but it isn’t. Just a few people can sit in a room or in the park with a theatre script and just read a play. That’s a start. From there you can go on - learning the lines, finding somewhere to rehearse and perform, somebody volunteering to build the set and make costumes - little by little you move forward. It is not actually difficult.

Our group managed to acquire a couple of ‘portacabins’ - imagine trailers without wheels perhaps - and leased from the council some land on which to install them. In these they used to store costumes and build sets and rehearse. Performances took place on the grand stage of the Town Hall.

But then luck came our way and we got a grant from the National Lottery to put permanent walls in place of the ‘portacabins’ and so our little 70 seat theatre was built. And it was built largely by volunteers, laying bricks and pouring concrete. Much equipment, seating and so on was obtained secondhand and bit by bit the theatre developed into what we have today. This, sadly, all took place way before my time.

Now we have to keep the theatre going, which is less easy than putting on plays. In the old days the company had 60 or 70 members. It was hard to win a part in a play so great was the competition. Now we have about a third of that number and far fewer patrons prepared to be generous with their funds.

Partly this is due to people working longer and harder; it is not just our society, voluntary societies everywhere have seen a fall in their numbers. As the older folk retire, there are insufficient new and young recruits these days coming along to replace them.

I do my best to encourage them! There really is no better place to get a buzz. I think of Sammy Davies Junior and his remark “ I’m a ham - I really am. When I open the refrigerator, the light goes on. I do twenty minutes!” And yes, when the lights go on it is as if a part of that electricity goes not into the light but into your very soul.

Let me leave you with the Little Prince - star of our last show - and who says “You can only truly see things clearly with the heart. What is essential remains invisible to the eyes.” he could have been speaking of the theatre.

And that’s why, there really is ‘no business like show business.’

9 comments:

arosebyanyothername said...

Sorry to start the comments with a contradiction Fennie, but the original buildings were two prefabs not portacabins.
Jim and I have been members of C.A.D.S since about 1972 except for a few years when we cast out into the wilderness for insubordination so we participated in the refurbishment. Indeed it was under Jim's chairmanship that the Lottery funding was obtained.
I endorse all of Fennie's sentiments and I think that it is the theatre that we shall miss the most during our 'year in the Auvergne'. Even the occasional spats add spice to life.

Pondside said...

So interesting, Fennie.
I think that we, in Canada, have inherited the British love of amateur theatre. We are blessed, in this city, with groups that perform in churches, in a tiny jewel box of a theatre ( see here http://langhamcourttheatre.bc.ca/#)and on a bigger stage - the Operatic Society. There's a lot to be said for stepping out of one's everyday life and building the sort of community that theatre encourages.

Vagabonde said...

I enjoyed your explanation of amateur theatre clubs in your country. When I was growing up in France I was part of two different clubs, a choral and a theatre club, both secular (I lived in a Paris suburb.) Here, at least in Georgia, they have amateur clubs but most of them are connected to churches – like Passion Plays, Gospel Music and so on. In France you can find many bands playing in the streets or the metro and people will stop and listen. Here people are not interested. One example: one of the world’s top violinists, Joshua Bell, played in the Washington, DC underground once. Two thousand people walked by during the 43 minutes he played and only 7 people stopped, leaving him $32. He is a terrific musician playing on a $3.5 million violin. Two days prior to this little experiment he played in Boston to a sold-out audience where seats started at $100. This is to show you that the “general” public in the US is not interested in plays, classical music, art and so on. I have lived in this country now for 49 years so I can tell you that apart from the large towns with enlightened audiences, the rest of the country is too busy to be interested. We have one station playing classical music, NPR, that is all. In France and England I still can find many stations playing classical music. Well Atlanta is a large town, but there are very few museums and amateur players (again – apart from churches.)

Frances said...

Fennie, I thank you for taking the time, especially after the production, to write this lovely tribute to the spirit of the theatre. Maybe even the spirit of the arts.

I love Rosie's comment, and Pondside's, too, and completely get what Vagabonde is talking about. (I grew up in Virginia, and remember at that time there was an amateur theatre group that gave several performances during the summer. This was during the very early days of television. Think this was called summer theatre. Know that this does no longer exist.))

In NYC there are so many folks just doing what jobs they need to do, hoping that they will get a breakthrough to their dream of being an actor, director, painter, whatever. The notion of coming together as a band of talented volunteers, outside the economic rules of the road, is very rare. Yes, it does exist, but it is very rare.

Perhaps this is where we look to u tube etc.?

Sorry, this is a very long comment, but I could go on much longer. Hoping that you will be getting many more comments, and a good discussion will ensue.

xo

Elizabethd said...

How very interesting. When I was young I was always part of the drama group in our little village, and indeed my cousins and I put on our own plays for the neighbours. I still have the laboriously written programmes!
We are only 2 hours from Nantes...let us know when you make a return visit!

Chris Stovell said...

Well, congratulations to all of you for making it work, but I still admire anyone who stands up on a stage to act - honestly, Fennie, the thought of it makes me feel faint! No urge to perform here!

Calico Kate said...

Me neither Chris!! I love the theatre, not quite born in it but was certanly nursed in it. Parents are backstagers - props and costumes - & I slept in a wicker costume skip apparently. Love the smell, the excitement both front and backstage before performance but no way, could I go on stage these days. Enough to send shivers down me spine.
What a great story Fennie from Prefab to walls it sounds like a theatre that will continue for many years to come.
CKx

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brown Dog said...

How lucky you are, Fennie, to have such a thriving community theatre in your midst - I love a bit of am dram, although I've never been brave enough to take to the boards myself (well, that and a truly appalling memory). It sounds wonderful and great to hear your performances are so well supported, even in these days of long hours and wall to wall TV. Fascinating glimpse into your world.