Thursday, 24 June 2010

TRAVELS WITH MY AUNT



I had walked down this leafy Wolvercote road several times with my aunt.  Each time, according to my child’s memory, it had been sunny and each time the bindweed had been growing over the black granite monument on the bridge.

I suppose I must have been at that golden age that arrives with learning to read and ends with the rigor mortis of serious schooling.  When you can let attentive adults attend comfortably to your wants and life is a never-ending holiday of exploration.

My stepmother, who was a bit of a tartar, described bindweed as pernicious and stripped it away with violence.  I thought this rather sad, for I loved the big, white, waxy flowers.  So did my aunt, who called them ‘Fairy Bells.’  We were entirely in tune, she and I, on the matter and we might have been content to live in a green space with walls papered by these sunny flowers with their drooping, arrow-shaped leaves.

We pushed away the encroaching curtain of vine stems and saw again on the plaque of black granite the ancient aeroplane that had crashed on nearby Port Meadow in 1912, killing its two pilots.  

It was my father who first took me here. I expect on the way to the Trout Inn at Godstow, then a more primitive and bucolic establishment than it was later to become.  Just another river pub in fact, where he and my step-mother went sometimes in the early evening, and where I became bored with my insipid orange juice and fractious at the lack of visible trout.

I doubt he took me there a second time. But when my aunt - or I should say my great aunt - started to take me out on empty Saturday afternoons I would ask her to take me to Wolvercote to see the little bridge and the granite monument and the ‘Fairy Bells.’ 

We’d catch the number 4 bus up the broad Woodstock Road, she demanding of the conductor in her best Edith Evans voice: “one and a half to the terminus, please.” We always sat on the upper-deck, if possible in the front seats, bouncing and swaying on top of the world. Auntie and me: off to another adventure on a maroon and green Oxford bus.

She would have been in her early sixties.  And yet I cannot remember a time when she wasn’t ‘old,’ or ‘elderly’ as she preferred to describe herself;  (as a child I am not sure I knew the difference), and generally we got on well.  Indeed I would have preferred to have lived with her rather than my icy step-mother with whom I seemed always locked in tempestuous conflict.  

With Auntie the rules of good, or at least of satisfactory, behaviour were few; neither were they difficult to learn. Besides, if you transgressed the sin was soon forgotten. I knew she welcomed my company, particularly as she lived alone.  This was not the case in my step-mother's household.

So we would run up to friendly Wolvercote and then walk slowly - for in addition to being ‘old’ Auntie suffered from perpetual rheumatism - towards Godstow and its ruined abbey where the beautiful Rosamund Clifford, mistress of Henry II, lay buried.  

Maybe Auntie knew this.  If so she certainly would not have told me, for she never quite seemed to understand sexual lust nor would she forgive the scrapes and scandals that have befallen our incontinent Royalty down the ages.

Or maybe she did; even so she never managed to fall far enough off the impossible perch of her own high Victorian principles of ‘proper’ behaviour to lead to any sort of relationship. She never married, still less had children, leaving that unspoken-about side of life to her sister, who did marry, had one child (my father) and then died. 

Auntie had then stepped in to run the bereaved household and assumed that this life would continue with her as dowager when my father transacted a succession of two hasty marriages in the heady days of wartime and its aftermath.  But both wives in their turn threw her out.  A little unkindly, I thought. 

So now her liberal attentions turned on me.  I was in any case too young for tales of kings and and mistresses and anyway far more impressed by a more vivid history of crashing aeroplanes.  Perhaps it was here, on the bridge over the Thames, that I resolved to learn to fly which, after a fashion, I eventually did.  But not before I built several model aeroplanes that looked like the one on the monument and which showed an equal propensity to fall suddenly and disastrously to earth.

Still, having paid our afternoon homage to piloting and bindweed, we would wander back to the sleepy village for a cornet of ice cream and maybe we would share a pot of tea.  Then, there would be the bus, waiting at its terminus in the dusty lane, with the conductor shouting to us to climb aboard. 

4 comments:

Pondside said...

That was a sweet post, Fennie - a glimpse of the child that became.......Fennie of the Corner Cupboard. Do you think that knowing your old aunt and spending those afternoons of quiet adventure with her helped form you? I wish I'd had such an old aunt.

Faith said...

A lovely blog Fennie, and I had a great aunt rather like yours too. She didnt take me out, but spent hours playing children's card games, or showing me the little treasures in her bureau. It's nice to look back with love.

I havent been reading any blogs for months - must get back to it. I've forgotten how reading a blog with a cup of tea is such a pleasure.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I loved reading this Fennie, through the double lens of your childhood and your adult self. Beautiful. Every child should have an aunt, a grandparent, a loving adult, who will take them on the top of the bus and gently just spend time with them.

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

I would love to see a place covered in fairy bells.
Does the scent of the flowers bring back the memories of the wonderful adventures with your aunt?
Susan