People say that the tones on the horn of an Inter-City 125 are set a musical fourth apart and so with a bit of electronic tinkering you could make the train play the opening bar of Beethoven’s 5th symphony as it hurtled across the countryside and through unmanned stations. Ba-ba-ba-bom!
Now I realised during an exceedingly long afternoon this week that this descending fourth was just the sound made by my little grandson, Theo, whenever he was discovered amid the wreckage of some new household disaster. After he has pulled books from the bookcases or thrown down a carefully stacked pile of labels, he stands in the middle of the carnage, holding his hands out with the palms upturned in imitation of a revered saint performing some penitential act of supplication, and sighs, ‘uh-huh,’ the ‘huh’ being a perfect fourth below the ‘uh.’ The effect is totally disarming.
Where he learned this trick - and I have to keep remembering he’s only 18 months old - I don’t quite know, but it ought to be marketable, and at a hefty premium too. If Tony Hayward, the hapless BP chief executive, held responsible by the US Senate for the recent oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, had just greeted his inquisitors with his palms upturned and a hesitant smile and simply said, ‘uh-huh’ in a note that contrived at once to express boundless regret and also astonishment at the inexplicability of natural disasters, then he might have had an easier ride.
‘Uh-huh!’ As a substitute for an explanation, as a device for turning away wrath, the descending cadence of ‘uh-huh,’ uttered with a sigh to break a thousand hearts, reigns supreme. Especially, when one is at the height of one’s young mischief making and otherwise can’t say much more than ‘biscuit’ and ‘mine.’
Still eighteen months is a difficult age and hence my long afternoon filling in for his mum. It is hard to find constructive activities with which a toddler does not easily become bored. There’s football, of course, played down the long corridor, at which young Theo excels. Not only can he kick a ball with surprising force (and remain upright) but he can direct it too. Then there’s building towers with Lego, though as he enjoys smashing them down more than he enjoys building them up, the towers become shorter and shorter as his attention span wanders. Eventually he gives up.
But, I remembered, water is what Theo liked best of all. So around three o’clock I had the brainwave that we should mop the kitchen floor! He could splash water and mess it around with his feet and perhaps even the mop. ‘Uh-huh,’ he would say as he created yet another puddle and the water ran everywhere, ‘Uh-huh!’
I cleared up. Naturally. Mopping up isn’t his favoured activity. For the ‘uh-huh’ absolves its utterer from any responsibility for a clear-up - another reason why Tony Hayward might have found it useful. I had to slide him around the floor on a old towel.
What else, I wondered, during the course of that exceedingly long afternoon might involve water? The garden beckoned.
We have an old watering can and Theo was about to learn that water came out of garden taps and that it could be used to fill a watering can, though in practice he found it more fun to jiggle the can about so that the water splashed on its lid and ran down his trousers. The little fellow was having such fun with this new way to wet himself that I hadn’t the heart to stop him. For the moment anyway my piles of labels were safe enough.
But now the watering can was too heavy to lift. ‘Uh-huh,’ he said helplessly, with his outstretched arms and his butter won’t melt in my mouth smile. ‘Uh-huh!’
I tipped some out. Somewhere he’d lost a shoe so he paddled in the puddle with his stockinged foot. What is the fascination that small children have for water? Did I once have this fascination, too? The thought made me wince.
We went to water the garden, Theo, humping the big watering can as best he could with me making encouraging noises from behind.
After a few steps he spotted an unassuming weed growing in a crevice between the wall and the path. He took a step back to consider it. Then drenched the weed with the entire contents of the can. The can was now empty. Theo couldn’t quite understand this. He obviously thought that somehow he had broken it for he handed it back to me and raised his outstretched hands. ‘Uh-huh,’ he sighed. ‘Uh-huh.’
It was still only four o’clock.

10 comments:
Lovely Fennie. I'll bet if he wasn't exhausted you were.
Someone's going to sleep well tonight, Fennie, probably you! Adorable tot - not sure Tony Hayward has the same appeal. Enjoy.
I do so identify with this. Somehow, four years ago, I found that I had accepted the responsibility of caring for a then six month old grandson for one day a week. I wasn't terribly good at this when it was with my own children twenty five years ago but surely it couldn't be that hard? Look at what I had done in the intervening years, I told myself, bracingly, desperately. I planned it out a bit, that first day, and by 11 o' clock I had done absolutely everything I had thought of doing for the next month of Mondays. We survived together somehow, with rather more chocolate biscuits than I have ever confessed to. And in a fortnight he goes to school. Somehow, I hope, his one day a week with me is woven into the fabric of him, for now.
Fennie, may I say bravo to Theo, and the opposite to Tony H.
It is so funny to be reminded of how our much younger selves must have so love the waterway ... well guess that we started out in a sort of waterway, did we not?
Anything that you write always grabs my attention Fennie. Cheers!
Lovely Fennie,I too know the ‘uh-huh,’ words with two at 18-20 months, I always prided myself on the ability to entertain these little people but somehow I find I am more cautious these days perhaps it because they are not mind in the direct sense, I am one removed and so aware of their quick movements and their ability to get quickly into trouble. the older one is like an a express monkey turn your back and he's high on a working surface but I would rather have two lots of ‘uh-huh,’ than ONE Tony Hayward. Great post and great read.
Blossom xx
Oh he sounds (and looks) gorgeous, Fennie! Enjoy him while you can. I remember this stage all too well - it passes, and then all you get out of them is grunts.
Ah, Fennie, we are on the same wavelength, the same schedule. I'm in Ontario, visiting my two wee Grandsons and their parents. More than two and half thousand miles away from us, I miss them when we're apart and am so grateful for the week that we're spending together. When one is with a toddler, time takes on a whole different dimension. By 10 am we're outside having a snack and careening around the yard, so that by 2, as it is now, the boys are napping and Nana is collapsed in front of the computer screen.
Oh how lovely Fennie - what a beautifully written tale of your afternoon.
CKx
Fennie what a gorgeous grandson you have....it so reminded me of mine when they were toddlers. Especially the 'uh oh'...
I understand, exactly. As soon as we came back from Norway we drove to Tennessee where my younger daughter and her family just moved. My husband and I kept the two grandsons (2 years old and almost 4 years old) while my daughter and son in law went shopping for all the items they needed. After 5 days of this my husband and I were almost more tired than when we came back from Europe the week before! Those two little boys are nonstop dynamos and I am almost hoarse from reading so many stories.
Post a Comment