Friday, 29 October 2010

LONDON TIMES

I am fortunate that I have never been entirely desk bound. Even today I still have occasion to make the occasional foray to London or elsewhere and so it was this week. I’d been at a meeting in one of those elegant houses just off The Mall, where Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone lived in his hey day 150 years ago. He would cross St James Park on the brief walk to Downing Street and this week I found myself retracing his habitual steps only realising afterwards - when I saw his portrait - that this is what I had been doing.

It had been a good meeting as meetings go. Mostly they are tedious and boring and the only sensible work gets done anyway in what these days are called ‘the margins’ in private and informal conversations as you take your coffee or put on your coat to go home. So I was in buoyant mood descending the great steps to the Mall and crossing into St James Park which looked as fine as ever I had seen it, thronged with exotic vegetation and waterfowl.

Early in my career I used to work here - not in the Park, though I must have brought papers out, I suppose, now and again, and sat in the sun eating my lunch - but in the Old Admiralty Building that forms one side of Horseguards Parade.

Shortly after I arrived there new telephones were installed and I was delighted to find I had been given extension number 3. This caused endless amusement. I used to say that extension 1 was the Prime Minister (Edward Heath at the time); extension 2 was the Head of the Civil Service and extension 3 was the next most important person in the government.

Anyway important or not they let me park my car on occasions on Horseguards Parade and for several years after I had moved down to Wales whenever I drove up to town I would park on Horseguards and slip into the office where the girls would write out a permit for me. And then I could park all day in the middle of Central London without a penny to pay.

My mistake was not doing this sufficiently often. For one day they twigged that I no longer actually worked in the building. Security was of course becoming a lot tighter and the easy-come-easy-go days fast becoming a memory.

Today the whole of Horseguards Parade is cordoned off: protected by large steel bollards against, I suppose, lorries packed with explosives. How sad. Nevertheless the bollards are painted a tasteful dark green and outlined in gold and do look as though they belong.

As I didn’t have a car - I can’t remember the last time I ever drove into Central London - the bollards weren’t a problem, so I strolled across the Parade ground and through the archway past an extremely young looking trooper trying to remain motionless as a throng of tourists clicked and snapped in the semi-darkness.

He was dressed of course as for the battle of Waterloo. We have a fascination for that late Georgian period. The time of Pitt and Napoleon, of Talleyrand and Mad King George. The Queen lives in an eighteenth century palace, rides in an eighteenth century coach, escorted by eighteenth century soldiers to the accompaniment of eighteenth century music and along boulevards laid out in the eighteenth century. The French do much the same thing. Indeed swop the troops at the Elysée Palace for those at Horseguards and I doubt anyone would notice the difference.

In my day there were fewer tourists and (possibly the two are correlated) fewer pigeons. The visitors scrummed around the two mounted guards on their shining black horses. Above and behind the horses is the old Admiralty Boardroom with its famous table, a concave segment cut out to accommodate one particularly fat Sea Lord and across the way is Great Scotland Yard, once home to the Metropolitan Police, where the IRA exploded a car bomb in the early seventies. It always was a dingy backstreet and not the romantic sort of place portrayed in police thrillers. I am wondering whether the Quai des Orfèvres in Paris is equally forlorn.

With an hour to kill before leaving to catch my train I crossed Trafalgar Square, up past the statue of Edith Cavell, executed for treason in 1915 by the occupying German forces in Brussels, to the National Portrait Gallery.

I hadn’t been there for years and what a fascinating place it is. Here are Samuel Johnson and Jane Austen, Disraeli and Gladstone, Churchill and Queen Anne. Yet what struck me looking at the miscellany of faces was how the men were all recognisable. Take a modern man and stick him in an absurd wig and costume, let him pose for the artist and you will have an eighteenth century portrait. Not so the women. The women’s faces are bland, without character and mostly with charm. They are not so much real faces as an imagination of a face. Why?

Is it because most of the artists were men; or did women really carry that far away ‘lights-on-but-no-one-at-home look?’ A modern woman’s face would fit oddly on the shoulders of Queen Anne, say, or the Duchess of Devonshire, or even of Queen Elizabeth. And she was most certainly ‘at home’ even when the lights were off. Is this a general perception or is this just me? Compare Queen Anne with the photograph of Edith Cavell.


Main Picture is of Horseguards Parade.

6 comments:

Frances said...

Fennie, it's been grand to take this walk with you, through time and place.

I am also fascinated to see portraits from past centuries and think about whether I could translate the faces into our own day. Sometimes it is so easy.

The same runs true with seeing actors/actresses in old movies. The films of yesterday somehow so much more sophisticated to my eyes. Perhaps this is because when I now look back at films from the more recent past, say the 1970's or 80's, I can remember the make up and hair styles from those years, and so find a way to lock those celluloid heros and heroines into my own experience.

Look Fennie, you've gotten me rambling. xo

Vagabonde said...

I enjoyed this post. When I used to go to France, twice a year, to see my mum, I used to go to London at least every other year. I mean I would take a plane which allowed me a stopover. I went to London just after she died, and was there on Christmas Eve 2002 (as all the planes leaving Paris for Atlanta were full) but at the time I was a bit sad. I’d love to go back, maybe next Spring. I am toying with the idea of going to France and coming back on ship, just like the first time I came to the states. I actually already have booked a passage on a ship leaving Southampton, so it would not be hard to go up to London first. Thanks for writing a comment on my blog. I did not know about the Bretons not having to pay tolls. As to the blog you mention, yes, I used to follow it for a year, but going with blog etiquette I try to visit all the blogs who post comments on my blog and, since I travel a lot, I don’t have time to comment on the blogs who never visit mine. I still read them though, too many really as there are so many interesting blogs out there, but not as often and don’t comment on them anymore. I tried to see if you had an email so I could answer you there, but could not find one. Here is mine, connected with my blog: bookeen@live.com.

Pondside said...

Another post to make me wish to visit your part of the world. I enjoyed your reminisces and wonder just what you were doing in such rarefied surroundings.
Your observation on the portraits of men and women was amusing. Of course women weren't persons at all in those days, but chattel. If an artist could paint a spaniel's face then he could paint any spaniel. The same for an Arabian Horse, a carriage or an oak tree - each interchangeable within its species. The artist only had to learn to paint a face that elicited the impression 'woman' and then put in into the hair and onto the appropriate clothed body.
Now a man's face - well, that was an important interpretation.

Kath said...

It was lovely taking a wander with you through your part of London, past and present, and you ended up at one of my favourite places - the National Portrait Gallery.

I think Pondside may be onto something as far as the portraits are concerned, but wasn't it also to do with the number of sittings that portrait subjects did? I seem to remember reading/hearing that women didn't sit for a portrait artist as many times as a male subject would, which sometimes meant that their portrait was far more of an approximation and there were also rules of etiquette as to whether eye contact was established or not? I could have that totally wrong but I'm putting it out there as a theory nonetheless!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I love my infrequent trips to London and I loved coming along with yours. The National Portrait gallery is a favourite place and I haven't been for ages. You are spot on about the portraits of women and I think Pondside may have something of the explanation. Every now and then a real person looks out at but mostly women's portraits are portraits of clothes!

Fennie said...

Frances, the saddest thing is to see a film you remember well from childhood and find how dated it looks and how the magic has gone, with the sets looking like the cardboard they were.

Vagabonde - do say if you are visiting London

Pondside - I think you are on to something!

Kath - yes, perhaps it has something to do with how many sittings there were. Interesting point.

Elizabeth - And yet the faces should be so much more interesting than the clothes. Ah well. There's always photography.