
This is going to be a blog about the trials and tribulations of the theatre in general and our little theatre in particular. I shan't be in the least offended if you turn away now, for I ask myself constantly, "why am I doing this?" - by which I don't mean writing a weekly blog, though I suppose the same question could be just as usefully put in relation to Corner-Cupboard as to the Market Theatre. 'Why, O why?'
When I am acting, forcing myself to learn the lines and then forcing myself again at the end of a hard and long day to remember them on stage while simultaneously trying to remember what the director wants me to do, I say to myself - 'acting is the hardest job in the world.'
My brain positively throbs with this imposed activity. If someone were to cut out a slice it would glow red and yellow with all the neurones firing off at the same time, as I struggle through those lines. My heart goes thump, thump, thump, like a rabbit startled at the approach of a farmer. I strut and fret (oh how Shakespeare put it well).
Of course it gets easier. At some point you know the lines and the movements and how to say what you have to do in a way that holds the audience's attention and doesn't send them to sleep. Or so you hope. It can even be enjoyable then as you slip comfortably into the skin of a villain, a monarch, a witty raconteur, a lover or whatever is called for.
But through those long weeks of rehearsal I feel like Winnie the Pooh who, if you remember, was dragged backwards down the stairs by one leg each morning and thereby hit his head on each successive step - thump, thump, thump. 'There must be a better way,' he said to himself 'if only the thumping would stop long enough for me to think of it.'
And of course there is. And it is to be a director. You miss out on the congratulations at the end of the show, on the adulation - no-one notices the director until you get to the Hall or Spielberg level - you can sink quietly into anonymity. But this is a small price to pay for power without responsibility. The director never has to face dying on stage.
Rather than strutting and fretting yourself you let others strut and fret while you sit in the stalls with your feet up, making occasional notes and encouraging noises. Easy and relaxing. That, anyway, is how it seems to the poor fretting actor.
I last directed a proper play about seven years ago. And just as you forget your lines after a performance so you forget just what a horror directing really is. It is like trying to organise a battle and finding half your troops have better things to do.
So you rush around in desperate Red Hen mode running yourself ragged to find people to cast and do all the other jobs - lights, sound, stage management, props, prompt, costumes, design, front of house, bar. There are tickets to sell and publicity to organise and the theatre to clean and theatre suppers to arrange and all this away and beyond the direction of the actors and the choreography of the play.
Of course lots of people are involved in a production but the director is very much in the position of Owain Glyndwr who boasts in one of the Henry IVths that he can summon spirits from the 'vasty' deep. 'Of course you can', says Hotspur - 'and so can any man - but when you call them do they come?'
And that is the problem - as a director you have all the levers of power in your hand but frequently the levers are not connected to anything. People are on holiday, or won't respond to emails, or can't be fitted on the stage, or things just collapse, or actors don't know their lines, or change their minds or simply give you nightmares.
Then there is the problem of ideas. When people have ideas they assume they are good ideas by virtue of the fact that they have had them at all. It is the supreme example of 'all my geese are swans.' But, quite apart from the fact that it is not ideas that are in short supply but people to do the routine and boring jobs, most ideas that people present you with are not very good. The ratio of good ideas to bad ideas is about 1 to 20 in my opinion. Nevertheless you have to allow people to have ideas.
I don't exclude myself from the above criticism. I have more bad ideas than anyone. But in most cases conventional and boring wisdom will get you further and faster than some clever 'idea.'
So I worry and fret late into the night, wondering whether we shall sell any tickets at all. We have sold six so far out of a possible 280. Whatever possessed me to want to direct again, I say to myself, and I long for the responsibility free domain of the actor. The wheel will turn full-circle again.
Ah well it was ever thus. If you have been, thanks for reading.
Should you be wondering the play is 'Temporary Shelter,' an intelligent and imaginative comedy by the novelist Rose Tremain. Originally written as a radio play (in which format it won the Giles Cooper prize for best radio play of 1984) We have adapted it for the stage and shall be presenting it between 13 and 16 July at the Market Theatre, Cowbridge. Tickets £6. Come if you can - an evening of sparkling comedy awaits you.

15 comments:
Fennie, how I wish that I lived closer to this theatre, because I would definitely be in that audience.
Bravo to you for taking on the director challenge!
xo
Fennie, I am so impressed by anyone who acts and even more by anyone who directs. I am far too shy and retiring.
If only I lived closer i would certainly come. Good luck - or should I say 'break a leg' or something?
love lampie
You are so brave and hard working too. I certainly would come if I could. I was only in about 3 local plays in France while in high-school. They were not high-school plays but in the little city group. I don’t remember much apart that I was a bit scared. The last one I played a US western cowgirl of all things – did not know I would end up in the States. Here I could never be in a play unless I was cast as a French woman because now when I speak in public, I guess because I am so self-conscious, my accent is very thick – I know because I can even hear it. It sounds horrible, like those French people in movies – zees eez veree good, that type of thing, so I rarely talk in public. You must enjoy getting the high rush of being involved in a creative endeavour and I know you are good at it.
I'd love to time a visit to your part of the world to coincide with one of your productions. I think it would be such a treat to see you on stage. Acting is not for the faint of heart - it takes such courage to put oneself 'out there'.
Fennie, I could have read this for ever.
I cannot think of anything more ghastly than being on stage, I was getting palpitations just imagining strutting and fretting (lots of the latter, none of the former) but then I gabble which doesn't help. And directing! That bit sounded ok (bossy boots appeal) until you brought it to life when I was squirming and horrified again. No. No way.
I so wish you good luck for it, you really deserve it. You also deserve a producer to do all the nasty bits to do with money and facts and tickets and organisation. Leave you free to waft about in a velvet smoking jacket.
I think Milla's summed it up (as she often does!) for me too - I can't think of anything worse than going on stage, but then when you described the horrors of directing, that made me feel faint too. I do hope sales are picking up nicely.
Wish I could come to visit! Sorry not to have visited for ages bit now I have some very good intentions....!
Ah! At last you see the problems of directing. Acting is a doddle compared to it. It is all on your shoulders, isn't it? I am sorry that we are not there to help you especially as you seem so short of back-stage crew. However, I'm sure it will 'be alright on the night(s).'
But, please don't say 'never' - it is such an awfully long time.
This could cause them to grow less, flower less, and
maybe even die. Wear disposable gloves to keep from directly touching feces.
Cardboard mulch is very uncommon in Los Angeles, California and other parts of the country.
my web blog :: mulching
Generally speaking, there are several main techniques made use of by
data mining software: clustering, distinction, regression and
association approaches. As adults riding motorcycles, we usually don't even think about steering. This is still faster than dropping your entire inventory.
Of course, the dictatorship in Egypt is far different than what the
vast majority of Americans face. by October,
2001 the US moved on the Taliban in Afghanistan.
Stars and the loaded are sometimes (however, not always) capable to go beyond the holding out course of action
to obtain immediate gratification. They also delight in the creativity
provided by the activities. When scrapping with newspaper
clippings, in most situations it is important to take the proper steps to make
them archival safe before putting them with your photos in your scrapbooks.
Also visit my blog; egyptian newspapers
For instance, they may select a type of lettuce
that has purple coloring in it as well as green.
As much as you may want to grow radishes and lentils in your kitchen you don't want to blemish your frugal reputation. Organic gardening teaches kids about the value of hard work and its rewards.
Also visit my blog post - wildlife
After application the hair is simply dried, either naturally or using a drier.
As natural products don't have any side-effects, you can rest assured for healthy hair. When one thinks of fungus, they don't generally associate it with the head or scalp, but the itching, burning scalp,
rash or pimples on the scalp could very well be caused by a fungus, requiring antifungal shampoo to
provide well needed relief to the symptoms.
My webpage :: hair products
It currently has less than a 2% refund rate which means for every 100 people only 2 people request a refund. Crowe, The Tony Rice Unit, Chesapeake and Aldridge, and Bennett & Gaudreau) on mandolin and mandola, Tony Williamson (mandolin), Chris Brashear (fiddle), and Tom Corbett (mandolin). Numerous adjustments are usually made to improve the buying experience for site visitors to the golf website. If you have a personal injury legal matter, a dog bite or if you’ve lost a loved one in a wrongful death accident, call the Law Offices of R. The doctor will ask about symptoms of metabolic disorders such as fatigue, headaches, cramping, mood changes, shortness of breath, and chronic diarrhea.
Here is my web page :: Onassis
Repairing Small Cracks in concrete Floors:
Determine the Damage. Concrete finishing is very much like smoothing out
frosting on a birthday cake. Read your warranty carefully, and
you'll see that it probably doesn't cover walls with efflorescence.
Post a Comment