Saturday, 28 January 2012

MAGIC OF SHAKESPEARE

James Reynard and Claire Tucker
Leafing through the paper the other day I found an interesting graph showing how the country's economic growth has risen and fallen over the last few years.  It bears no relation whatsoever to what has happened in our business apart from the fact that the general trend in both cases is in a southerly direction.  This month in particular has been slow, the sort of 'feathers through treacle' slowness that makes you think seriously of staying under the duvet with the coverlet pulled firmly about your ears. Orders have slowed to a trickle and you wonder whether you are still going to be here a year from now. Then on Friday the cheering news of a large order from the Library Service of one of the bigger London Boroughs.

From a brief perusal of recent newspaper headlines you might be forgiven for thinking that there weren't any libraries left, certainly in places like London, or if there were some left then certainly that they wouldn't have any money; and if by some fluke they did have some money then it would be reserved for some core project rather than additional supplies of labels.  But of course you would be wrong and this order was proof.  Along with a couple of other orders that emerged like beetles from the woodwork, the month ended on a somewhat happier note.

Now, you might be enquiring which London Borough this might be in case they happened to be in the market for your goods and services too.  Well, I am not at liberty to say but I shall give you a clue (which of course might be wrong for boundaries change over time) but I think it was the same borough that once housed Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.  If this seems a recondite sort of a clue, then I admit it is, but along with the febrile state of the British economy Shakespeare has been much on my mind this week.

You see it was our little theatre group's AGM on Friday and I had invited a couple of actors (James and Claire - see above) to try out an adult version of a show they have developed to introduce Shakespeare to children, called The Magic of Shakespeare. As they had to travel all the way from Gloucester, and were partly doing us a favour,  a suitably sized audience to show our appreciation was indeed required.  But for a variety of reasons - some possibly economic - I was beginning to worry that we should not have one.

Friends that usually come along to our shows wrung their hands and said that they couldn't come along to this one.  Excuse followed on excuse and apology on apology.  I wasn't even sure we'd have more than the apocryphal two men and a dog turning up to the AGM.  Even our esteemed Chairman found that he had to attend a wedding in Inverness.  The Secretary and Patron Secretary also sent apologies.  Regulars regretted that this or that had intervened. I was biting my nails.

But in the event something turned up and it was a respectable audience.  My fears went thankfully unrealised,  as fears so often do. The show proceeded and most excellent it was too.  And educational to boot.   I learned, for instance - because this was an 'introduction' to Shakespeare's work - that the Globe Theatre had no lighting.  That sounds obvious - of course the Elizabethans had no stage lights, they had no electricity; the best they could do would have been the occasional candle, or perhaps a couple of burning brands.   So plays took place mostly in broad daylight.

Yet many of Shakespeare's best known scenes take place 'in the foul womb of night' and if you read those lines closely you will learn that Shakespeare tells you (and then tells you again in case you might have been asleep) that a scene is occurring in darkness.  Take, for instance, the famous balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet, the word 'night' occurs fourteen times - just in case, in the sunshine of the Globe Theatre,  you might be tempted to think it was day. 

So the AGM and the show passed felicitously and afterwards we had some champagne because the two actors, James and Claire, who wrote and presented the Magic of Shakespeare,  recently became engaged and are to be married in April, perhaps even on Shakespeare's birthday, and it just so happened that it was also the 53rd wedding anniversary of Rosie and Jim.  So we all had a little theatre supper and a few bubbles to celebrate, and a happy time was had by all.

10 comments:

Frances said...

Bravo to you, Fennie, for keeping the show going on.

Let's hope that many generations will continue to catch that magic that Shakespeare can grant an audience.

One of my crowded bookshelves still holds the complete works of Shakespeare textbook from my university days. I was terrified to be in the same class as many of my school's brilliant English literature scholars, yet fell under the bard's spell, aided by our wonderful professor, and came out of that class with an A and a lifetime love of WS.

xo

Chris Stovell said...

I'm so glad your post had a happy ending; I was fretting throughout (writerly note: you can certainly build tension!). Three cheers to the library, Shakespeare and the happy couple!

Norma Murray said...

My parents were married on Shakespear's birthday - they managed 59 of 'mostly' happy years - so very best wishes to your friends.

Pondside said...

You had me worried, there, Fennie! Is there anything worse than a paltry turnout when one has arranged something special? A terrible feeling.
Your young friends make a beautiful couple - very romantic shot!

Vagabonde said...

I am pleased the show kept going. The happy couple looks lovely in your picture. It is difficult for me to listen to Shakespeare as the English language is fast and some words are not easily understood. A propos of Shakespeare I was just reading something on another blog. This blogger was saying that Mormons can baptize by “proxy” and have baptized dead people so they could also be Mormons, one of them being Shakespeare – they have baptized him. I find this extraordinary. In the Huffington Post of 1/25 I read that this could be a problem for presidential hopeful Mitt Romney as his Mormon church has posthumously baptized many Jews. “A Mormon may propose the baptism of another person posthumously. Church members have performed the ritual on Buddha, Catholic popes, 9/11 hijackers, William Shakespeare, Joan of Arc, Elvis Presley, President Obama's mother and even reportedly Jesus Christ. In 2002, the managing director of the Mormon's family and church history department told The New Yorker magazine that as many as 200 million dead people had been baptized as Mormons.” We may all end up being Mormons….from the grave.

Fennie said...

Vagabonde - that is a great story - but is it really true? It sounds like an April fool's story. But then I suppose anything is possible when the Utah folk are around. It does though smack of something of a one way contract. If you baptize me how do you know I haven't baptized you first and therefore as you are a member of my church you can't make me a member of yours. Shakespeare occasionally wrote in French - especially eg in Henry Vth.
He wrote in Welsh too (Henry IVth).

Frances - so glad you like WS. If ever you visit we shall take you to Stratford.

Chris, I hope all my posts (and stories) have happy endings. I can't stand unhappy endings; they make me cry, wimp that I am, and I find them most terribly unsatisfactory.

Lampie, April must be a lovely month to marry in. A chance to get your feet properly under the table before winter and romance under the
summer skies.

Pondside - yes it was last summer when they were playing Much Ado About Nothing. Chepstow Castle, I think.

bayou said...

Great that the show was a success and plenty of spectators! And how thoughtful to get married on Shakespeare's birthday. I am off to the UK for a quick trip Friday and coming back Sunday night. S-u-A is the last destination - I have been before and loved it.
I hope your business continues in a steady way despite bad economy or less libraries.

Vagabonde said...

Thanks Fennie for your comment on my blog and your answer above. Yes, the Mormon Church also known as the Church of Latter Day Saint does practice baptism for the dead, this is not a joke. In Wikipedia it says: “Baptism for the Dead is best known as a doctrine of the Latter Day Saint movement, where it has been practiced since 1840. It is currently practiced by The Church of Latter Day Saint movement (LDS Church), where it is performed only in dedicated temples, as well as in several (but not all) other current factions of the Latter Day Saint movement. The practice was forbidden by the Catholic Church in the 4th century as an aberrant practice of heretical groups, and is not practiced in modern mainstream Christianity, whether Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, or Protestant. “
There is even an article in the Daily Mail Online confirming the Mitt Romney’s family posthumously baptized his late father-in-law because he had been an Atheist - here is the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093241/Mitt-Romneys-family-baptized-Ann-Romneys-atheist-father-Mormon-church-year-AFTER-death.html?ito=feeds-newsxml .

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I am entirely with you on happy endings Fennie. I am a serious person for Christ's sake, when I am not being frivolous, so sometimes I have to read serious stuff with miserable endings but I could rewrite it for you with a happy ending at the drop of a hat. It's the wheel of fortune you see. It turns. Things go up, things go down, then up, then down again, and so on for ever. Happy ending or not just depends on when you stop the wheel for the sake of your story. I know life is hard, that is why I don't want a writer to beat me over the head.

Anonymous said...

http://www.world66.com/member/gorsoktsa1989_chea urticaria cetirizine 10mg tablets nhs [url=http://www.world66.com/member/strarin1979_pouvez]zyrtec cetirizine hydrochloride side effects[/url] can i get high off cetirizine can you get high off cetirizine syrup peut vous aider a cetirizine haute http://cetirizine-xql9007.eklablog.fr/ sandoz cetirizine hydrochloride 10mg tablets [url=http://www.world66.com/member/zafim1971_viagra_f]berkley jensen cetirizine 10mg chlorhydrate antihistaminiques[/url] what is cetirizine hcl 1mg ml syrup used for will cetirizine get you high ne cetirizine chlorhydrate de la cause de l'hypertension arterielle http://www.world66.com/member/pannich2001_cialis pouvez-vous obtenir du sirop de cetirizine hors [url=http://cetirizine-jsw0117.eklablog.fr/vente-cetirizine-chance-comprimes-chlorhydrate-de-cetirizine-10mg-thuo-a65803409]does cetirizine hydrochloride cause high blood pressure[/url] does cetirizine get you high Comprimes SANDOZ chlorhydrate de cetirizine 10mg adezio cetirizine hcl 1mg