Saturday, 5 May 2012

WELCOME, BUTTERBEAN

Mother Clazza and Butterbean
My granddaughter arrived in the late afternoon of the 2nd May,  a grey day on which it didn't rain.  Mother and baby are fine.   The birth happened in the Heath hospital, a vast institution on whose site there has been some sort of establishment since Neolithic times.  It may well have been a hospital then.  Once something becomes a hospital the tendency is to continue, for why would you do otherwise? Each generation adds a bit or knocks down a bit until six thousand years later you arrive at what you have now. Anyway it was not to talk about hospitals that I began this piece.

Lacking a formal name - the naming pot is full of potential names but none has yet been extracted - she is called Butterbean since she was the size, well, of a butterbean, when first we learned of her existence.  (The Butterbean is a species of Lima bean apparently, whatever that is, or so I learned when I looked the name up).  When I did this I saw also that the name had been adopted by an American heavyweight boxer, otherwise called Eric Esch.  He wasn't born on 2nd May but on August 3rd and in addition to being a heavyweight boxer he is also a mixed martial artist.  He is probably a nice friendly chap in reality but his photographs show someone that you might not want to cross in a hurry.  If ever there was someone of whom it might be said 'he will grind your bones to make his bread' then Eric Esch looks to be he.

Which seemed to me to be the very antithesis of our Butterbean who is a mere scrap of a thing weighing in at just 5lbs and 10 ounces and very cuddly to boot.  She now begins the long road - actually a surprisingly short road if you are a grandparent - of putting on weight and filling out and learning to sit up and then to crawl and then to toddle and then to talk and then finding out how the world works and that water is wet and fire burns and it hurts when you fall over and the thousand and one other things that have to be learned before you can even set one foot in front of the other on your way to school.

As an aside, you'd think, wouldn't you, that by now we would have evolved some way of simply plugging the brain with 'applications' - maybe delivered by headphones during sleep?  Could you download how to walk, for instance, or to make apple pie, or a history of all the kings and queens of Britain?  After all, birds seem to inherit complex nest building patterns in their DNA.  They don't spend time learning under the mother's wing - the weaver bird just goes out and weaves, termites build vast citadels, bees talk, bats can use sonic radar, all manner of species navigate across the oceans while the human infant is still learning which end of the spoon goes where.

Still maybe she will do all these things too. For the moment Butterbean is just a gorgeous little thing with blue eyes and dark hair and a contented expression when her head is next to your heart.  You can practically feel some mysterious bonding process at work.  And though babies are common enough each baby is special and reminds us that we were all once in this small and vulnerable state with minds empty and vacant, waiting to be filled with all the wonderful world has to offer.

And she is fortunate to be born on 2nd May - the same day, incidentally, as Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia and James Dyson, the inventor and vacuum cleaner man. The same day as Engelbert Humperdinck, the singer, and David Suchet, the actor; as Manfred von Richtofen - the Red Baron - fighter pilot, and Jerome K Jerome who wrote the funniest book in the English language (Three Men in a Boat).  And should Butterbean ever find herself in Poland then her birthday will fall on the Polish National Flag Day and she will find that everyone is saluting her.  Na zdrowie!

So you see it is quite true what the horoscopes say about people born on the 2nd May being full of artistic and intellectual creativity.  They make extraordinarily good writers of novels, apparently, and good artists, too, if given pencil and paintbrushes.  On the other hand they have little interest in making money; they would far rather do something that they love doing, preferably in one of those professions in which the flow of income can best be characterised as being in a state of flux.

I have discovered my mistake.  I should have been born a week earlier - on the 2nd - instead of, as I was, on 9th May, for which the omens are not nearly so good. Alan Bennett (who was also born on 9th May) is perhaps the exception and he has clearly exhausted all the artistic talent available to Taureans born on this date.  Instead, all the boundless stock of Taurean talent is invested in those arriving on 2nd May and so, dear Butterbean, we shall expect of you (naturally in an entirely unpressurising sort of a way) great things.


17 comments:

Kath said...

Congratulations on the new addition to the family! This is such a lovely, warm welcome to the world that I really hope Butterbean gets to read it one day.

I'm not sure I'd like to download an app instead of learning something for myself... although, saying that, being 3 days away from my Italian oral exam, I can certainly see the appeal!!

Chris Stovell said...

So, farewell to Anne in your last post and a big welcome to Butterbean in the next, lovely posts both (and, yes, I remember the book). Congratulations on the new baby's safe arrival.

Pondside said...

Congratulations, Fennie, to you and to everyone in your family. Another member of the tribe is, indeed, reason for celebration. Should Butterbean every find herself near my on her birthday I would be glad to sing, in Polish, the song that is sung in Poland for all birthdays and anniversaries 'Stolat'.
So, Fennie, you and I celebrate out birthdays one day apart! I'll be eating cake and turning a year older on the 10th.

Mac n' Janet said...

Congratulations on the birth of your grandchild, how happy you sound, so she'll be a lucky little girl with such a loving grandmother.

Fennie said...

Hallo Kath - ooo - the Italian oral - bonna fortuna - or something like it. Now you could always learn things even with apps - they'd just get you past all the drudgery.

Thanks Chris! Yes, one in, one out as it were. But a pity Anne could not have seen Butterbean and vice versa. She is a sweet child.

Pondside - we shall have to have a joint celebration! I shall raise a glass to you. I have another friend with a birthday on 11th May.
Super month to be born in. One more thing to thank our mothers for.

Janet - thank you so much. Yes, I am very happy.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Lovely picture. What is it about grandchildren which takes over our hearts? I read something about how the prolonged rearing required for a human child has produced a need for the commitment of the grandparents as well as the parents. Might all be bunkum but the commitment feels real and compelling enough, whether we seek it or not.

Frances said...

Fennie, I have always loved little butterbeans. They are very tender and should never be confused with their cousins the limabeans. They are big and a bit tougher.

Little butterbeans could be considered sweet, particularly when they look light your pretty granddaughter. xo

Fennie said...

Elizabeth - you are so right. And in my case it was totally unexpected. Something you think they might tell you about in school - or even in novels. Mind you we are quite hands on grandparents with a regular one day a week commitment; and special occasions as well. So we are most lucky.

Frances - you are so kind. I hope you'll get to meet Butterbean one day. Theo can be Limabean, then.

Vagabonde said...

Congratulations! How much fun you will have with your little Butterbean. In the Deep South butterbeans are a staple – with fried chicken, corn bread, etc. They are creamy and quite good. What happiness to have a new little granddaughter. My father-in-law was born a 9th of May. He paid for his higher education by being a wrestler. He was a history professor. My mother was born a 12th of May. She was outspoken, a free spirit with a high sense of humour and very courageous. The only person I remember who was born on the 2nd of May is a sport fellow – football I think playing in Los Angeles – his name is David Beckham.
Thanks for coming to my blog and for your comment. I just saw it and replied – in case you don’t go back here is what I said :” Fennie – thanks for your comment and noticing that I had written under the painting “1825” the date the Robert E. Lee was leaving San Francisco. This was a typo. I went back to my notes and the Robert E. Lee was leaving San Francisco in 1870. I corrected my post. Thanks for your keen eye.”

Posie said...

That lovely photo made me feel very broody indeed Fennie, many congratulations, it is such a truly special time. So exciting, as you are so right, in that only with time will Butterbean reveal her character, her gifts and talents, and it will be such a rewarding and fun time watching as like a little bud she blossoms into a flower. Enjoy every precious moment!! (and help out with lots of babysitting and childcare as required ;-) ). I just love the name Butterbean, but regardless of the horoscopes she could have waited and arrived on your birthday!!

sarah tavenner said...

Oh Fennie you under value your talent, butterbean is lucky to have a grandie like you who will no odubnt write her and tell her many amusing stories as she grows!!

Welcome new addition to your happy family!

sarah tavenner said...

Oh Fennie you under value your talent, butterbean is lucky to have a grandie like you who will no odubnt write her and tell her many amusing stories as she grows!!

Welcome new addition to your happy family!

Fennie said...

Posie, thanks you kindly. Yes it is wonderful providing the nourishment for a child's brain. I, of course, teach them all the wrong things: my eldest daughter still thinks that mice were trousers with red braces.

Sarah, I dare say I shall have to write some stories for her. She is very lovely. With her dark hair and blue eyes. And I shall tell her about the adventures of Loic.

Catherine said...

How lovely! She is a very lucky baby and clearly much loved. I think Butterbean is a lovely name. Enjoy!

CAMILLA said...

Once again dear Fennie, many Congratulations to you on the birth of your lovely granddaughter Butterbean.

Somehow I just know little Butterbean is going to be a creative and artistic girl just like her grandparent.

Enjoy all those precious moments Fennie.

Kay G. said...

Pretty little baby.
My Daddy grows butterbeans and they are wonderful!
Three Men In A Boat is a VERY funny book.
I love David Suchet. Gotta be a good birthday.
Love,
Kay

Faith said...

May birthdays are always good! Congrats to all on the birth of BB who now presumably has a name and is more than a month old already!