Saturday, 10 November 2012

BORAYA AND A TRILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT

Interior of Mari Vanna Restaurant, London
 Last Sunday I went up to London to meet a Russian friend, who I had last bumped into at a wedding in Brittany. She told me then the 'famous' (well, at least in our family) Russian hedgehog joke.  "A hedgehog was crossing the road one day.  All was well when it set out but when it reached the middle of the road, it rolled over and died."

That's it.  No follow-up, no punchline. A mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma as Churchill might have said.  Anyway, I have only met two people (apart from my friend) who thought this remotely funny and one of them was me - but there we were last Sunday, several years on and the conversation rattling away as though the intervening time had been a minor interruption.

She had very kindly agreed to help me with the novel, which some of you may know I am writing.  I have always wanted to write but have always been very bad at it - bad at the technical stuff, let alone the creative bit - but gradually all that is becoming easier.  On the internet, on social networking sites and so on I find that many of those whom I have come to regard as old and dear friends are writers of one sort or another and I suppose we inspire and encourage one another, though sometimes I think that I have the best of the bargain.  Having written some 85,000 words now I can talk about 'my novel' for it undoubtedly exists.  It isn't finished yet but what remains - some stirring stuff that includes a car (or rather lorry) chase, a death, a birth, and a  marriage, is all outlined and should be complete before Christmas when the real work of editing will start.

 'Boraya' is about a chocolate factory and is set mainly in St Petersburg in the late 1990's.  It is a romance but also a story of what happens to people whose lives are overwhelmed by external events.  I suppose I was inspired subconsciously by that great volume of Russian literature which becomes addictive when you are a languid and forlorn teenager.  I remember my biology teacher complaining that I was reading surreptitiously during a tedious lesson and having my book shown to all the class much to their amusement. It was a paperback edition of 'Seven Short Novels by Chekhov.'  The book had cost me seven shillings and sixpence and I still have it on my bookshelves, though I suppose decades have passed since I looked at it.

Yet if you write a novel set in a country that you have never visited and in a well-known city, you have to try and get the details reasonably correct.  Interviewed at the Hay Literary Festival this summer William Boyd confessed that he had written a book set in the Philippines and afterwards he had been complimented by the country's tourist office, all without ever going there. He said he just used a guide book and his imagination - so it can be done. Nevertheless mere mortals like me need help.

It isn't just what the protagonists might see around the city;  that can be derived from guidebooks.  No, it is everything else. I wrote down on the train a couple of dozen questions to ask my friend.  Food figured largely among them and it helped that we were eating in a traditional Russian restaurant - the 'Mari Vanna,' so Russian that everyone, staff and customers, spoke that language,  and I was forced out of politeness to say 'Spasibo' to the waiter.  It was a good introduction to Russian food and Russian interiors, this one more like a set decorated for one of Chekhov's plays than a London restaurant.

We spent a long time eating the excellent food - I tried the Siberian Pelmeni, which are a kind of dumpling - while discussing what Russians call each other.  When you would use the ultra-formal equivalent of 'Mr' or 'Mrs,'  for instance, and when you would use the patronymic - that is your addressee's father's name - as in, perhaps, Mikail Sergeievitch, or when you would just use a first name?  But what happens if you are a foreigner?  Under what name would you book a table at a restaurant? What happens even if you don't have an official father (well, you can always invent!).   The name of the restaurant itself is a first name and a patronymic, for the name is a contraction of Maria Ivanovna - a very common name, apparently, in Russia and one that is contracted in speech to 'Mari Vanna.'

Almost everywhere I turn in the story I find a different world.  I am now an expert on the botulinum toxin (nothing to do with the restaurant I hasten to add) for that figures in the story too, as of course does the terrible history of St Petersburg.  As the story unfolds the experience is more like reading a book than writing one in that my characters keep on surprising me. They keep me entertained at least and I hope one day they will entertain you too.

*****

On a completely different topic there has been much discussion in the course of the recent American Presidential Election of that country's trillion dollar deficit.  That figure always worried me.  Surely that can't mean that the US Government spends a trillion dollars more than it receives in taxes?  But then I thought of our own deficit - about £160 billion.  Express that in dollars and we have around $250 billion, which is of course a quarter of a trillion.  If we say that the US economy is about four times the size of the British economy then their deficit really isn't any worse than ours.   Trillion dollars it is.  What an amazing amount of money!  We are all living on tick to an absurd degree.  Easy to say but knowing what to do about it is another matter.

The photograph of the Mari Vanna interior is taken from the internet. I am unsure to whom the credit is due but offer thanks in advance.


10 comments:

Frances said...

Well, I think the hedgehog story is quite droll, and that you have told it well.

The Russian restaurant reminds me of a Polish club/restaurant, The White Eagle I believe it was called, that I once visited with some London friends. I doubt very much that it is in many tourist guides.

Trillion is quite a number. National budget drafting is such a complex pastime for our legislators and their attentive lobbyists!

Bravo on the progress of Boraya. Creating many characters and setting them in motion through distant times and places is quite an achievement!

xo

Fennie said...

Thanks, Frances. That's three of us for the hedgehog joke then!

mountainear said...

Glad work is progressing well.

While I can't claim to be an author I do know from working on our local history projects how they come to have a life of their own. One moment you've nailed a few facts and faces down, the next those few facts have thrown up a whole new line of enquiry. The how thing becomes a huge and sprawling thing, seemingly in charge of us and not the other way round.

Fennie said...

Mountainear, yes that seems to be about the size of it!

CAMILLA said...

A long time since I have read Chekov, Fennie. I have several stories he wrote on my book shelves. Probably bought them many years ago when I was in my twenty's.

Chekov wrote to Aleksey Suvorin on 27th Oct 1888, quote; 'In this head of mine there's a whole army of people longing to be let out and waiting for my command....,

85,000 words so far Fennie is brilliant.! good to hear you are progressing well with your book.

Fennie said...

Camilla, yes, it feels like that sometimes. Lots of Chekhov revivals in London at the moment eg Uncle Vanya, which has had good reviews.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

You have written how much? That's truly impressive. Put me on the list for a copy!

Fennie said...

Ah! That's two copies I've sold so far. We're moving up the bestseller lists already! I think you would enjoy this Elizabeth, if only as the there is an Elizabeth who figures very prominently in it. I think you have the edge though when it comes to cooking and gardening.

Vagabonde said...

I love to read, but writing – that’s another story – it’s not easy for me so I greatly admire you for having written 85,000 words already – I think it is a gift. Your story sounds intriguing, a death, a birth, a marriage and botulism not forgetting the truck chase… If you have Russian characters I guess they’ll have Russian names, so will you write, like Agatha Christie did in some of her books, on the first page of the book, the names of all the characters and who they are so we won’t get confused? Your book is going to be a thrilling tale.

Fennie said...

Yes, Vagabonde, that would be a good idea. Dickens does it - provide a list of the characters. There are quite a few.