![]() |
| La Brasserie du Nord and Chicken and Chips |
'Je ne sais quoi' is French for ‘I don’t know what’ and it is the phrase best used to describe what turns the ordinary into the extraordinary. It is applicable to anything that is made through the agency of human hand or human brain. By turns ‘je ne sais quoi’ may comprise love, imagination, flair, enthusiasm, art - or any such adjective. 'Je ne sais quoi' is particularly applicable in the kitchen. A meal cooked with ‘je ne sais quoi’ is magical; a meal cooked without it may look identical, but will taste flat.
I was thinking of this yesterday coming back from a family party. We had gathered in a large pub and restaurant near Bath to celebrate three noteworthy events: my elder daughter’s 40th birthday, the engagement of her sister-in-law, and her father-in-law’s 80th birthday, all of which occasions took place in sufficient proximity to one another to induce us to push the boat out. We were fourteen altogether, ranging in age from eight months to nine hundred and sixty months, (work it out!) and a very happy party was had by one and all.
Such parties bind the nation together. It is difficult to imagine anyone in that group being thrown out or disowned by the other members. In fact rather the reverse for I suggested that if we all sold our respective houses - we had six between us - we could afford to buy something so large that we would never ever get on each other’s nerves. We would meet perhaps once a month like ships passing in the night in great corridors and by pooling our resources we might be able to employ people to do the ironing.
I have always fancied living in such a house though no-one else unfortunately shares my enthusiasm. I think you could call it 'je ne sais quoi' applied to living. It is, after all, what the musicians do in ‘Quartet’ that marvellous directorial debut film by Dustin Hoffman that I saw earlier in the week and which is worth a couple of hours of anyone’s time. It is not only Mr Hoffman's acting that boasts 'je ne sais quoi,' which, now that I come to think of it seems applicable to acting and theatre at least as much as it does to cooking.
The only slightly disappointing thing about our day out was the food for which we paid an average British price of around £25 a head for something that sadly lacked this 'je ne sais quoi.' (In France we should have paid a great deal less, despite their VAT and high social charges and the food might well - though not alas certainly - have been better.) Still, it isn’t easy to say what this food actually lacked. It would have passed any culinary inspection but you had the feeling that the chef wouldn’t really have chosen to eat it himself. It looked pretty, but was devoid of sparkle, the ordinary rather than extraordinary. The 'je ne sais quoi' wasn't there.
Note, this doesn’t mean exotic. A piece of dry toast can taste extraordinary, so can simple mashed potato and so can chicken and chips, which is what I chose for my main course on the grounds that I ought to be on fairly safe ground. But chicken and chips is a dish that cries out for 'je ne sais quoi.' I can remember from thirty-five years ago a chicken and chips in the basket served in the bar of the old Hand Hotel in Llangollen (Wales) and another chicken and chips eaten in ‘La Brasserie du Nord’ in Paris twenty years ago. In this large busy restaurant they must have been serving one hundred portions of chicken an hour and yet the birds were succulent and truly magical. More recently, down at the Mill, I can remember sitting on the sunny terrace of a little restaurant in Conques eating chicken and chips, so beautiful cooked and tasty and so carefully presented, that washed down with a splendid bottle of Gaillac rosé I thought that maybe I had already died and gone to Paradise.
My expectations were excessively raised perhaps by such memories. The appearance of yesterday's chicken couldn’t be faulted; neither could the taste in any absolute sense it was just that somehow a vital ingredient was missing: the ingredient of 'je ne sais quoi.'
I flip through the paper at breakfast this morning. A headline says ‘Eight Easy Dishes. Restaurant Food at Home,’ but nowhere in the notes and instructions does the article mention ‘je ne sais quoi.’
In fact now that I come to think about it this ingredient is missing from a very great part of British life. This wasn't always the case, but today we seem to have lost the ability to inject a little magic into what we do, preferring to settle for the ordinary, the conventional, the simply dull. On this depressing thought I had better end. Still the sun is shining, the cold weather has departed and spring will be here in a month or two.


10 comments:
Well, I have to take issue with you on your last paragraph, Fennie. I think a lot of our lives, here in the Western World and narrowed down further to Cowbridge have that elusive ingredient 'je ne sais quoi'.
Our efforts on Friday evening down at the theatre produced it in quantity. And your family give it to you daily.
We have such extraordinary luck in life and we should never consider that we are lacking in some indefinable ingredient.
Please don't end an otherwise interesting blog on a sombre note again. It gives one such a depressing feeling. And the sun is shining too today!
Rosie, I wasn't referring to my own life, just to an absence of sparkle in much of what we do In Britain at all levels. Of course there are exceptions - but Health and Safety, the ranks of the jobsworths, the blame culture, the tyranny of short-termism which reigns in every branch of government, a spirit doesn't respect or promote culture, all these have combined to make Britain, on the whole a greyer place than it needs be or should be.
Fennie, what you've written could be applied all over - here, south of the border in the great USA - anywhere, really. I think people stop 'trying'. Your friend with the delicious G&T didn't stop trying - he must have been really there, in the moment, paying attention to making that drink the best yet. It's the same with dressing, with conversation, with cooking. When we make an extra effort, pay attention, give it (whatever it is) our all, we achieve that essential 'Je ne sais quoi'.
Ah, that magic is so unpredictable and to be in its presence is a wonderful thing. Perhaps there is less of it around, perhaps people in general are more jaded or their expectations in general are higher. Does an optimist experience more 'je ne sais quoi' than a pessimist - who would surely be inclined to always look on the down side? Do we, as we experience more - rack up more comparisons - become more discerning and therefore more inclined to dismiss what might, once have been a memorable experience as something now, in the light of that experience merely workaday?
Now I'm an optimist and I'd agree that there is still plenty of it about.
Pondside - is it just effort? Or is it something else? It's a special knack for something. Some people may try very hard, and work with much love, but will never, say, be able to make a really good G and T, though they may be wonderful gardners, say.
But I agree with you thus far that effort is the essential foundation on which je ne sais quoi is overlaid.
Mountainear - being a pessimist by nature I am easily enraptured by something that is really good. But it helps I think to be an optimist, as you say. Some people can feel there is magic even in seeing the light of morning. But I don't think even a pessimist would take for granted something truly wonderful. One never tires of sunsets, or of a magical G and T for that matter. But it will be an interesting point to debate sometime.
There is certainly a lot of Ordinary in our lives. Perhaps it is there to set a base line from which the extraordinary shines forth.
We are having miserable weather here in NYC. Today when waiting in a grocery store's check-out queue, I spied within reach a large net bag of brilliant orange clementines. I added them to my cart.
Fennie...there is now way I could possibly consume all those clementines by myself, so I've been surprising some folks by bestowing my bounty upon them. So far, I've had smiles and merci from the lovely ladies at my local wine store, and smiles and thank you from the fellows who keep this apartment building running.
Perhaps this was not exactly je ne sais quoi, but has already cheered up my grey day in an unexpected way.
xo
Frances - Random acts of kindness that give as much joy to the giver as to the receiver. Well done you! I can almost taste those clementines. I wonder where they come from? Florida? Mexico? Ours always come from Morocco for some reason and arrive wearing Turkish slippers. - No I jest, but they do come from Morocco.
Should we do a swap?
Ilove the idea of the house share for all the generations and given that the property market for larger houses is so stagnant surely this is a way forward? Now, having read the foodie bit, I just have to go eat something!
I used that expression when speaking French, but when speaking English I am not sure which French expression are known and usually will translate them, so I rarely say anything in French, and rarely speak it. Yesterday I was interviewing a French Aupair on the telephone for my daughter and she was surprised that I did not have an English accent.
Today is my husband’s birthday. I heard of a new small Greek restaurant in town. Someone said that the owner, a Greek lady, comes to the tables and talks about the food. I hope there will be a je ne sais quoi there today. My mother made the best chicken, here in the Deep South, most everything is deep fried, but some fried chicken can be delicious.
I am pleased your sun is shining, our sun (sometimes it seems we don’t have the same…) is also shining.
Oh there is an abundance of je ne sais quois here Fennie, gin and tonics, you absolutely must try the Botoanist gin that is produced here at Bruichladdich distillery, it will certainly give you the je ne sais quois you are looking for. I could so relate to your experience of the food you had though, I am finding that is all too often the case when I dine out these days, however I then like to think it is because I have become so adept at cooking these days, so you see, bursting with je ne sais quois ;-)
Post a Comment