Following my last post here I can say that the Mill is now sold, which is a relief to its owner but sad for us. So I won’t write any more about the Mill although no doubt bits and pieces from our many visits there will find their way into stories I may write in the future.
Surprisingly, perhaps, now that I think of it, there’s nothing about the Mill in Boraya - or at least nothing that I can remember. The second draft of Boraya is coming on apace. I’m averaging about 4,000 words a day of editing - which is really rather more than plain editing: there’s an awful lot of verbal garbage to be removed, but also new material to be inserted. I read an article a couple of months ago about the hundreds of rotting wooden churches in Russia, many built in the eighteenth century and now in an advanced stage of collapse. The pictures of these churches looked so romantic and beautiful with their spires and their onion domes and their bell towers leaning at odd angles, that I had to put a fictional one into Boraya.
My fictional church, built in 1745, remains standing despite wind, rain and heavy snow. It is dedicated it to Saint Demetrius, a Greek saint from Thessalonica, and it stands in a clearing where the ground rises a little near the village of Kokkoila whence on November 8 (the Saint’s anniversary according to the Orthodox calendar) some of the older villagers bring icons and try to enter the building despite the chained and padlocked doors and the signs that indicate mortal peril from falling timbers: a very practical case of ‘abandon hope all ye who enter here.’
The temperature is minus twelve on the night that Elizabeth and Vladimir visit the church of Saint Demetrius. They are on horseback and the ground is covered in snow; a full moon is shining, silhouetting the church black against the sky and the horses have to plough through drifts of white, sparkling powder.
But characters are a bit like young children: you can only control them so far. I had intended that Elizabeth and Vladimir should just ride to this church, but Elizabeth, of course, has to dismount and then find a fragment of rotted wood from the church to put in her pocket. She wants, she decides (nothing to with me, guv!) to have something to drop into the coffin of the gardener at Casa Malinka, who used to visit this church long ago, for it was his death that was largely responsible for bringing the couple together. So now I have to extend the funeral scene too. And so it goes on, words are trimmed out and bits of story put back in.
We were invited out to dinner by some actor friends the other evening and they showed me a book in which various well-known writers had been asked to submit a picture of their working spaces and to describe how they wrote. One photograph stood out: it was of Will Self’s study which showed an entire wall covered with ‘post-it’ notes, each with a jotting about the piece he was working on.
I was intrigued. What a wonderful idea! Because I find one problem with writing a novel (Boraya is the first I have attempted) is that you can only see a small part of it at any one time. An artist who paints a picture can see the whole work at once; so can a sculptor or your average poet. But a novelist can only see about a page at a time. Not enough. By putting ‘post-it’s’ on a wall you can get some reminder of what is happening.
I will try that when I finished this second draft. There is some re-shuffling to do, particularly at the beginning. And then I will read the whole thing out loud. After that it should be finished: I hope in about six months.
Still not a lot will happen today: the grandchildren are here, Theo and Isla. I have already pushed Isla (10 months) twice around the block in her pushchair with the object of getting her to fall asleep. We are going out now to ‘Bijou’ - a play centre with a tall tower full of ropes and nets and slides where 4 year old Theo likes to romp while I drink a coffee and remember what it was like to be four years old. I can remember it in fact very well. It seemed like yesterday. But how would you feel if you were suddenly four years old again and without memories and experience? Almost naked, I would think, and certainly scared. Who am I? Who are you? Who are all those people?
The picture by the way is courtesy of Google Images. I trust no one will mind my using it. If anyone does then I apologise. If you go to this website http://www.richarddavies.co.uk/woodenchurches/ you will find plenty more and if this helps to promote action to save some of these wonderful structures, then it will all have been worthwhile.
The joys of book club
-
When we moved here, in June 2022, we met various lovely neighbours
including a couple along the road who have been here much longer than we
have but are ...
1 year ago


12 comments:
The Mill saga continues - the ink is not dry yet . . .
It's great to drop in and hear news of Vladimir and Elizabeth and how you had to give them a rotting church to visit. I approve your choice of Saint - I am all about the Greeks at the moment! And it's lovely to think that a part of that church will be buried with Casa Malinka's faithful old gardener.
Fennie, there's much to comment on here.
Perhaps there's still another Mill chapter to written, before that ink dries?
Old wooden Russian churches are beautiful.
Editing what one has written is a charged pursuit.
Post its. Way back in my college days, when I was attempting to grab on to a bit of Russian fluency, I used to tape on to my dorm room walls little squares of paper with various Russian vocabulary. This was way before the arrival of Post Its. Tape was required. I thought that if I keep seeing the words, it would help me remember them.
Of course, all these decades later, I cannot even remember which Russian words I struggled to remember.
Lucky you to have those inspiring grandchildren.
xo
Beautiful architecture to those Russian Churches Fennie.
Interesting to hear about Vladimir and Elizabeth to your novel of Boraya.
Your novel sounds very romantic – riding a horse on snow and having one of these old wooden church as background – what an image. I hope many of them can be preserved. You asked on my blog if I could get all my Venice posts together. I am not finished with them yet –still have the 3rd day early evening and late evening, then the 4th and 5th day. But I don’t know when I’ll write those as new trips are happening. I never finished my posts on Newfoundland, Hawaii or other places. I am getting up to 70+ spam messages per day so I have to check each comment. When a spam comment goes directly on your blog you can go below “delete” and click on the “delete forever” and it will be taken of your blog completely. Thanks for coming to mine and writing comments – always appreciated.
How did I miss this post????
Wooden churches in Russia - we visited the famous one on Kizhi Island and I will never, ever forget it. I am SO looking forward to someday reading Boraya.
Going back to four years of age? I fear that this is what is happening to my mother, and while she is taking it with amazing calm, I can see the fear behind her eyes.
I am so impressed with your writing and editing I can't tell you! Can't wait to read it.
This is statutory counsel from the Part instead of Education. Provincial authorities (LAs) obligated to acquire regard to it when carrying minus their duty to align suitable full-time education (or part-time when proper in compensation the offspring’s needs) representing children who are unable to attend a mainstream or noteworthy fashion because of their robustness
http://www.spispolskichfirm.pl/Unternehmen-in-der-Branche-Bildung-Oberschule-Erweiterte-Oberschulen-f%C3%BCr-Erwachsene,8,0,0,1,3
http://www.huza.edu.pl/firmy/szkoly,policealne,warszawa,s,981/
http://www.dartohen.edu.pl/firmy/szkola,policealna,warszawa,s,962/
http://ak57.pl/polska,regiony,swiat/szkoly,policealne,warszawa,s,1908/
http://game-portal.pl/miasta,i,panstwa/licea,dla,doroslych,warszawa,s,909/
A tooth (plural teeth) is a cheap, calcified, whitish build found in the jaws (or mouths) of innumerable vertebrates and habituated to to sever down food. Some animals, explicitly carnivores, also exercise teeth for hunting or instead of defensive purposes. The roots of teeth are covered nearby gums. Teeth are not made of bone, but degree of multiple tissues of varying density and hardness.
The general systematize of teeth is be like across the vertebrates, although there is considerable variation in their show up and position. The teeth of mammals drink esoteric roots, and this design is also rest in some fish, and in crocodilians. In most teleost fish, regardless how, the teeth are attached to the outer surface of the bone, while in lizards they are fond of to the inner surface of the jaw alongside the same side. In cartilaginous fish, such as sharks, the teeth are attached beside perplexing ligaments to the hoops of cartilage that type the jaw.
http://www.dodasz.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/medycyna,estetyczna,katowice,s,7784/
http://www.link44.edu.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/stomatolog,laser,s,770/
http://www.wylinka.com/zdrowie,i,uroda/strona,internetowa,s,779/
http://skydive.nysa.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/protezy,katowice,s,3736/
http://www.zgred.pl/l-klinika-borczyk-laserowe-leczenie-zebow-42131.html
http://scorponok.podhale.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/stomatolog,laser,s,834/
http://www.zerknijmy.pl/firmy/laserowe,wybielanie,zebow,s,5556/
http://blitzwing.podhale.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/chirurgia,stomatologiczna,katowice,s,3764/
http://wpisowajka.pl/firmy/implanty,zebow,s,2935/
http://fractostratus.mielec.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/www,s,2526/
http://www.dartohen.edu.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/usuniecie,korzenia,zeba,s,1006/
http://www.nyras.edu.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/implanty,zebow,s,392/
http://leesin.com.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/medycyna,estetyczna,katowice,s,2168/
http://www.mocaz.pl/zdrowie,i,uroda/www,s,9858/
http://www.ipcars.com.pl/aktualnosci,i,media/ogloszenia,drobne,z,malborka,i,okolic,s,2921/
Two major manufacturers of sulk treat products are pulling specific well-received brands from the market because they may bear traces of poultry antibiotics that are not approved in the U.S.
http://www.biznesdlafirm.com/katalog/pokaz/3749
http://centrum-firm.com/katalog/pokaz/2072
http://centrum-firm.com/katalog/pokaz/2750
http://www.biznesdlafirm.com/katalog/szukaj/cat/165/strona/15
http://www.promowanefirmy.pl/katalog/grzegorz-czyruk
http://biznesdlafirm.com/category/budownictwo--elewacje-docieplenia/cat/70
http://www.biznesdlafirm.com/katalog/szukaj/strona/7500
http://centrum-firm.com/category/motoryzacja-i-transport/cat/26
http://www.biznesdlafirm.com/katalog/pokaz/1059
http://www.promowanefirmy.pl/katalog/amarena
Post a Comment