Friday, 21 March 2008

Where I Live







For the past 31 years I have lived in the Vale of Glamorgan, and for the past 17 here in this house on the southern fringes of Cowbridge, which is a pleasant little town of about 5,000 folk. What used to be called a ‘market’ town except that markets are, these days, a thing of the past. With it’s curving High Street and eclectic architecture - a mix from medieval to modern - Cowbridge is one of only a handful of Welsh towns that can be called ‘pretty.’ Quite why visual beauty in the built environment should be shunned in a country with such wonderful landscapes has always escaped me, but there we are, others may disagree. The prettiness is one of the reasons I like living here.

It is also well placed geographically - close enough to Cardiff, and for that matter London; just a few miles from the most romantic coastline that you could want, sufficient hills to make any panorama interesting but without the oppression of mountains, brooding smokily beyond your back window. We have castle and a river, a fortified church, in fact an abundance of churches, a little theatre, some renowned clothes shops, a Food Festival in the autumn, a Physic Garden, a small park, a medieval town wall and gate and a Charter granted by Richard III.

The Vale is the bit that bulges out from the bottom of Wales (stop giggling in the back) and is like an amphitheatre, the land rising from the sea, with each set of hills higher than the last. Climb up to Cae’r Mynydd (Mountain Fort), near Bridgend and you can see the entire Vale spread out before you like a map. In fact from here on a really clear day you can even see Glastonbury Tor - 45 miles away.

I was lucky enough to grow up in the country, surrounded by trees and fields and animals. I still need plenty of open space around me. From the house the open countryside is less than five minutes away. Every Sunday morning I tour my ‘domain’ - a stiff walk up Primrose Hill to the top of ‘The Tump’ from where I can see the Bristol Channel and the hills of Exmoor beyond. Then down into St Hilary Woods - carpeted successively by wood anemones, wild garlic, bluebells - and around and across fields full, at this time of year, with young lambs and their patient mothers. Finally, I cross the old railway line that used to connect Aberthaw on the coast with Llantrisant (where the coins come from) and so back home.

Our house is built on the same railway line, or rather it is built on the cutting that carried the line into Cowbridge. We bought it in 1991 semi-finished from the builder. But it was warm and dry - the principle criteria for any house - and we have been here since. The children have moved on, Mother-in Law came and we converted the garage for her and she lived with us for five or six years, gradually declining with senile incapacity. Now the converted garage is our label stockroom and houses several million labels.

Like many houses it was built speculatively on a plot of land that used to be the bottom of someone’s garden. But in trying to maximise his return the developer produced a large house with very little space outside. Still we have a patio on one side, a garden shed on the other and in front a little lawn that is quite large enough for us to entertain on. French people think nothing of sitting and eating al fresco outside their houses in the sunshine, but here this custom hasn’t quite caught on and the neighbours’ faces wear expressions variously of hilarity (the young) studied disregard (the middle-aged) and disapproval (the elderly).

On this lawn is a greengage tree, which this year shows some sign of blossom, and a fig tree on which small unripe figs have hung bleakly all winter. At the back we have a pear tree which always produces an abundance of fruit (but no partridges - though many years ago we did actually raise partridges in a short-lived experiment. But then we didn’t have a pear tree).

I write these pieces in my little office - the single bedroom as was - looking south out of the first floor window past the ivy at a great sycamore on the edge of the fields a hundred yards away. I now use a MacBook for my writing and emails while we use my old Sony PC for the labels. I have attached some pictures, including one to show that we do actually get snow here on very rare occasions.

13 comments:

Inthemud said...

What a lovely picture you paint of where you live! So nice to see photos to go with it, so now i can see where you are when you are on Purple coo.
Loved the snowy picture!

Your life sounds idyllic, and you are surrounded by beautiful scenery , yet still able to get to main places.
My Hubby would love to live near an old rail way, one of his hobbies is going to old rail ways and walking the old routes.

I too have a Pear tree but no Partridge!
Wonderfully well written, thank you for sharing!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Sounds a lovely place. I know just what you mean about Welsh towns. Some are lovely but many are quite bleak. Our local towns are a mix: Ruthin is lovely but sounds smaller than Cowbridge.

Elizabethd said...

Super! Thank you also for the photos, they give a lovely picture of your life and home.

Wooly Works said...

A terrific picture of where you live. Thank you. It's so nice to be able to place people. The snow pictures are great and your dining room table, just perfect!

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Oh Fennie your home looks and sounds so homely and you may not have much space outside but you have obviously used it well. Love all the plants. Ironically we have so much space that I don't know where to start planting.

Chris Stovell said...

That was lovely for a good nosey and super picture. Er have you ever watched 'High Hope's it is a bit of an acquired taste to put it politely but they are always referring to the posh people in Cowbridge and now I know who they are!!

Faith said...

Excellent homework and lovely pics. Thanks for doing it.

Pondside said...

Very nice to be able to see where you live - and where you blog too! You must be very happy where you are, if you have raised a family there and continue to live n the same place. I've also just read your second last blog - so good to catch up!

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Sounds like a cracking place to live - I do love Wales, for its hills, coastline and castles, and it sounds as though you've got all three there. Love the picture of your office - looks very cosy in there - I'm sure I'd get more done if I was tucked away in a similar sort of place rather than at the kitchen table where I can see the washing machine and the breakfast dishes, not to mention the fridge...

Did giggle a bit at the bulge and trump (but then, what else would you expect?) Would love to visit sometime. xx

mountainear said...

Pictures as well - what a bonus. Your home looks warm and welcoming - I can imagine you in it now.. Pretty garden too.

I don't know your part of the world at all but from your description it sounds idyllic. The bulging Welsh bottom bit did make me giggle!

Pipany said...

Great blog Fennie and lovely photos to match. You sound very6 happy with your life - no partridges in our pear trees either! xx

Edward said...

Hi Fennie, thanks for visiting me. I used to live in Wales, just outside Lampeter. Glorious countryside, and Lampeter itself wasn't that bad. But I do so agree - how can they get the building so wrong? The same in Scotland and Ireland - all hideous sub-American ranch-style bungaloos. I'd bomb the lot and start again.

Exmoorjane said...

Love the pictures - really help to put you in 'your place' (that sounds funny, but you know what I mean)..... Still waving from the hills of Exmoor....