The other day Matthew Parris was writing in the Spectator about the collapse of the market in llamas. If I remember rightly, he called the piece ‘First the housing market collapsed. Now I fear the trade in llamas will be next.’ Of course, as things have turned out it has been not so much the trade in llamas as the trade in merchant banks that has gone squiffy. All those people in the City making fortunes quite literally beyond the dreams of avarice who now find themselves discomfited, much the same as us ordinary folk who have to fetch our own coal.
Now I always thought that that colourful expression ‘beyond the dreams of avarice’ came from the Bible. It has a suitably chilling ring of satanic temptation about it. But, no, I find that its origins lie with that obscure eighteenth century English dramatist, Edward Moore, with whose works you are no doubt horribly familiar, if only because they include ‘Fables of the Female Sex,’ which he wrote in 1744. A few years later he wrote the play called ‘The Gamester’ and it is there that he penned his immortal line.
In fact he was quite a dab hand at immortal lines, For he also wrote the one about adding insult to injuries which is, I suppose, what he might have felt about the fact that dear old Samuel Johnson seems to have appropriated his avarice quip and is consequently credited with it in some publications despite Johnson writing - or rather in this case speaking - some 37 years later in 1781.
Johnson on that occasion was assisting at the sale of a Thrale’s brewery, for some reason, and quipped to Boswell (standing guard in much the same relationship as Baldrick had with Blackadder), that “we are not here to sell a parcel of boilers and vats, but the potentiality of growing rich beyond the dreams of avarice.” And, he might have added, making a tidy profit for the bankers, too, who have gone on buying and selling money long after the breweries have withered on the vine, if you don’t mind me mixing a metaphor along with the hops.
Because it is bankers and breweries that I want to write about - or rather why it is that bankers are able to make money when there are no longer any real breweries to sell.
Permit me to illustrate with a parable. Let us return to the glorious eighteenth century again and to the first races at Epsom. Two brothers - let’s call them Ed and Sam - owned a village brewery and one of them had the bright idea of sprucing up their local trade by brewing a barrel of special ale and taking it to the Epsom races there to slake the thirst of eager punters.
The barrel was duly brewed and Ed and Sam set out on their way. Evidently trade could not have been brilliant for they had no cart and so were obliged to roll the barrel along the high road. Not long after they had set out, Ed says to Sam. ‘I’s a thirst. Give me a pint o’ yon beer. I’ll pay ye threepence for it.’ And Sam duly pours him a glass of finest ale and receives the threepence. Then, a little further on, Sam says the same thing to Ed. Another pint of ale is poured and the threepence is transferred from the pocket of Sam to the pocket of Ed.
Well, what with the summers being considerable hotter in the 1780s, and the roads considerably more dusty, this trade between two brothers with its accompanying exchange of threepences occurred more than once on the long road to Epsom - so much so, in fact that long before the brothers came in sight of the race course the barrel had been emptied and its contents duly recycled along the hedgerows.
“We mustn’t worry” says Sam. “A’ter all, we paid for the beer.” And so, in a manner of speaking they had. But no matter how hard they searched their pockets they could not find more than a single threepenny bit.
And that strikes me as the problem with merchant banking. A whole lot of people in skyscrapers are exchanging their threepences, betting on things going up or going down, but no one is actually doing anything even as useful as brewing a barrel of beer, still less actually putting any new money into the system. Whence then do the bankers’ bonuses come?
It is no wonder that the whole shebang comes crashing about our ears like a 51 card house. Meanwhile, with bankers out of work, there is no money to buy llamas, which, according to Matthew Parris, do a much better job of keeping down the grass than do sheep. Young male llamas are worth so little now, I understand him to say, that llama owners are giving them away to good homes, though the girls (who breed once a year, punctually and without fuss) still command a respectable price.
But even this depends on people who reason that if they buy a female llama (or two as they are herd animals) they will be able to sell the offspring. And that depends on people with unmown paddocks and those people are (or were) the bankers. It’s enough to add insult to injury.

12 comments:
Love the story about the two lads going to Epsom. Perhaps it should be made into a banner and hung in the Stock Exchange.
I want to be a failed banker.....who goes away with £2million.
classic Fennie, absolutely superb -you see what a spell visiting your inner trucker has done for you! Great pace, timing, blah di blah. Loved the beer barrel boys, loved it all.
Fennie, what I am hearing from "wise men and women" on television this morning, regarding our impending meltdown and the government's plan to let taxpayers bail out the bankers, is not one jot more clear that what you've written here.
Gosh, not sure what I just wrote is very clear. Maybe you get my drift. I just feel as if there are not wise folks available just now to fix our very broken financial situation.
Off to the Metropolitan Museum soon, to be inspired by by Morandi paintings and prints. Then I can come back home to see how the markets are moving.
Best wishes. xo
Yes - I've always wondered what good bankers and their ilk do and how they've managed to bluff their way to scooping millions from under the noses of us hardworking folk for so long. In the long and far-off days of the eighties I had a job which involved doing what was then called "corporate communications" for a Lloyds reinsurance firm. They tried to explain the world of reinsurance to me in a way that sounded not dissimilar to your story about Sam and Ed, except there were more people involved, but the same money just seemed to keep going round and round and round until a disaster happened and it just disappeared.
I wish there was a little symbol one could put in the blog comments to show one's read a blog, but can't think of anything to comment. Good blog Fennie.
Well how you put it all Fennie made an awful lot more sense than anyone else has this week! Bring on sam and Ed I reckon - lets have a whole panaroma featuring them!
Oh pooh I always thought Ben not Sam was the author of those lines.. I could have sworn it was a quote form Volpone which as it was written in 1606 predates all other claimants. However alas I fear c'est moi qui trompe and my old brain cells are even weaker than I thought.
To add insult to injusry I wrote a stunnign comment only to have it eaten by blogger so am now off to sulk.. if anything should be required reading for future merchant bankers it is surely teh play Volpone.
Ps what do you mean by saying there are those who actaully ahve to carry their won coal in? Surely society has not fallen so far belwo acceptable standards in teh Uk that even teh poorest houshold cannot afford a small maid of all works to do such menial grubby tasks? I am greatly shocked.
That was the clearest explanation of what's going on that I've yet read. The greed, the shady dealings, the money being exchanged and no good coming of it, while children from the first to third worlds starve and we send our young off to fight over oil - it is all too, too horrible. I think I'll start putting my pay cheques into seed!
Well said.
You put it so well Fennie.
There is a lot of sense in this blog Fennie (but we always knew you had oodles of the stuff!)
It is staggering to see what some of these bankers walk away with.
+That was an excellent story to illustrate point.
x
Post a Comment