Saturday, 24 January 2009

WHY I TRAMP THE STREETS IN SEARCH OF RUBBER BANDS

The kind men and women who in all weathers deliver our daily post, wrap it in bundles with pink rubber bands. They probably do this elsewhere as well. Twenty or thirty letters and brochures held together ready to drop through the letterboxes of this or that cluster of houses. Maybe it’s even done by postcode, I don’t know.

What I do know is that these are very fine rubber bands, and of a durability and elasticity reminiscent of the days when windows of railway carriages were opened with a leather strap. I imagine a little factory, somewhere like Leeds or Dumbarton, deep anyway in the British hinterland, where son has followed father in this traditional manufacture - supported by the same, government contract, rolled over year by year.

The postal folk rushing around on their deliveries, on foot or bicycle, at the regulation so many miles-per-hour, remove the bands before delivering the mail, placing them carefully on a handlebar or in a pocket so that they may be used again. Inevitably a few bands are dropped.

Now I value these rubber bands. They come in two sizes. The larger ones are exactly the right size for closing a roll of labels wound on a three inch diameter core. The smaller ones are exactly the right size for a one inch core. So when I find one lying on the pavement - as I did this morning - I pick it up eagerly. This gives me a double pleasure: I believe I am tidying the streets and the atavistic instincts of my hunter-gatherer nature are satisfied. Rarely a day goes by when I do not manage to pick up at least one and bear it proudly home. It’s a sort of Sarah Palin feeling, I suppose, without the need for gunfire.

I mentioned this the other day to Delphine, our ultra-efficient and helpful assistant in the Post Office where I go each afternoon carrying a Marks and Spencer shopping bag containing packets of labels to be despatched urgently hither and thither.

Unfortunately, she said, she had no rubber bands to give me. However, if some came her way she would, set them aside. At that point Sam, who was pursuing some post office business of his own at the next window, intervened. “I’ve got a bucketful” he said. “I’d be glad to get rid of them.”

Sam runs a superior travel agency in town. Not only that but he has a habit of collecting honorary consulships like other people collect stamps. An impressively royal coat of arms outside his office proclaims that it is here that distressed Norwegians in search of a friendly hand should repair. Assuming, that is, that the place isn’t full of distressed Tunisians seeking the same thing.

I know Sam not so much through our occasional coincidental encounters at the Post Office but from the bi-annual receptions that the European Commission hold in Cardiff for those involved in some way with European affairs. When I am not selling labels I write articles about Europe and for a short time last year was the part-time UK representative on a sadly terminated European communications project. I think, anyway, that is why they invite me.

Labels and Europe are two activities just about as distant in the occupational spectrum as it is possible to get. I arrive at the Post Office, tired and dishevelled, frequently in jeans and sweater, with a bulging and inelegant bag of parcels, my conversation limited to rubber bands and recorded deliveries, only subsequently to reappear groomed and talking with something that could passably be taken for erudition about the threats and opportunities to Britain of joining the euro. This perplexes Sam. Me too, sometimes, when people ask innocently, “what do you do?”

Never mind! I am still, if you remember, looking for those robust and elastic pink Post Office rubber bands. So Sam invites me to drop into his agency the next day and collect his small surplus, the postmen clearly delivering several each day with the agency’s mail. This, in great expectation, I do, only to find that the fabled ‘bucketful’ is nowhere to be found. The staff confirmed that although once such a bucketful did indeed exist, sadly someone must have ‘tidied up.’ My disappointment was palpable.

So I am back tramping the streets again, looking for these little circles of pink rubber. Meanwhile I have to put up with the inferior products of stationery suppliers who trade only in products made in some Asian fastness. Never the correct size, nor very elastic, they break with a twang at the slightest provocation, zapping your fingers in the process. Oh! If only I could find that factory in Leeds or Dumbarton that made the rubber bands which held the Empire together!

8 comments:

Pondside said...

Fennie, the image of you skulking around mail boxes, scanning the ground for elastic bands was too funny! I hope you find a stash - perhaps Sam will start to save them once again and you'll get a bucket-full.
I have a little compartment in a kitchen drawer that's full of elastics, twist ties and other useful little things that I can't bear to throw away. I feel quite virtuous when I reuse these bits and pieces. We're children of the children of the depression, so I guess we come by the saving and reusing instinct honestly.

arosebyanyothername said...

Yes, we know that Sam. He promised us something many moons ago and failed to deliver! He also booked us on a Paris break and got the dates wrong!
I look for some pink rubber bands for you - it sounds like some kind of fetish1

Cait O'Connor said...

You are going to be inundated with rubber bands now. The children at the school love them (we get a lot in the library delivery boxes).

Must they be pink?

Sam Fox said...

Ha, Fennie, you always make me smile - great blog!

But to have inherited a bucketload all at once would almost have spoilt things surely? It would be toooooo easy, better the intrigue of stalking the little pink beggars, methinks.

I collect the particularly hearty purple ones that come holding a bunch of asparagus together - as you say - so useful and the skinny brown ones just don't compare. Of course with the short asparagus season, this too, becomes a game!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Well you have me feeling guilty now as I am in the habit of throwing them away. From now on I will collect them for you, honest.

Barbee' said...

Very good post! I enjoyed it greatly. For a few years now, I have been thinking that the rubber bands just aren't as good as they used to be... wondering if manufacturers were using less or inferior rubber. Our daily newspaper comes with a band. I keep them then return them to the paper carrier. I, too, am a child of the children of the big depression.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Am I the only other person in Britain who collects rubber bands? I wind them round and round each other until I get a densely packed rubber-band ball and when it gets too big, I simply start a new one. It's incredibly satisfying...

(Is that a knock at the door? And a figure wearing a white coat?...)

Nice to find have something else in common with Fennie.

Great blog, by the way.

Milla said...

so many phrases to enjoy here! I'll limit myself to "It’s a sort of Sarah Palin feeling, I suppose, without the need for gunfire." and "my conversation limited to rubber bands and recorded deliveries". Loved Sam. felt your pain, truly, over the failed bucket. The thought of a blighted win is too much sometimes.