A friend of mine has just had a knee replaced. She's only been out of hospital a few days and I called around to see her on Friday. Despite all the pain she remains smiling and optimistic, sitting on the sofa with an unusual piece of equipment under her operated-upon leg.
This is a surfboard and placing the bad leg upon it she rocks it back and forth, easing the joint.
She calls it her 'bad' leg because it is worse than the other. Though that knee too needs replacing and is very painful. She has been on painkillers for her knees for some time, though she is only in her mid-fifties.
I ask why she didn't have both knees done at the same time and she answers that the pain would have been too much. Which immediately made me ask 'Really?' Would it?
If you cut your finger, it hurts. But if you cut two fingers at the same time the quantum of pain isn't doubled. It is as if you get 'cut finger pain' regardless of how many fingers you cut. It just comes in different places.
Peter Cook and Dudley Moore illustrated this once in a satirical sketch on acupuncture. Peter Cook imagines Dudley Moore as a man with a pain in his elbow. 'So they stick a needle in your leg,' says Peter. 'And then you forget about the pain in your elbow and worry about the pain in your leg. And then they stick another needle in your bum to take away the pain in the leg......'
I can't obviously speak from experience but I can't imagine there being very much extra pain from two simultaneous knee operations and, were it me, the thought of having to go through the pain and immobility a second time would be insupportable.
My cousin in Alberta, who was 75 at the time, had both his knees replaced at once and was riding a horse again in two weeks. But then he was a tough old frontiersman - or liked to think himself so - and a doctor to boot.
Still, in pain or not, this friend of mine is very good at drawing you out and so I found myself, before I realised it, moaning to her, quite shamefully, about some little irritation that the day had brought.
Most of my irritations resolve themselves into a vague feeling of not having achieved as much as I feel I ought to have achieved. I know this is nonsense and I equally know that it is a deep-rooted seed planted by my parents who were never satisfied with anything I did. It is a corrosive leit-motif to my life, but I fall for it every time Mr Black Dog comes calling. Even when I am with someone sitting smiling and joking who has just had a knee replaced.
When I got home I opened the newspaper to see the smiling face of Sue Townsend, the author of the best-selling Adrian Mole diaries - who is, as it turns out, exactly the same age as me.
She is now registered blind, having lost most of her sight. Her health has deteriorated in other ways too and she is now looking for a kidney transplant.
Of course I should have loved to receive the recognition that comes from penning an oeuvre as successful as Adrian Mole (though had I done so Mr Black Dog would have just told me that this wasn't a serious enough book to count).
I imagine Sue Townsend's success is not in any way correlated with her health. But if I had too choose between her life and mine I am quite sure that health would trump success every time.
Which is yet another illustration of why we should be grateful for small mercies and think positively. Success and failure, as Kipling wrote, are mere impostors.
The joys of book club
-
When we moved here, in June 2022, we met various lovely neighbours
including a couple along the road who have been here much longer than we
have but are ...
1 year ago

7 comments:
I loved this post, Fennie, so poignant and true. Why do we do it?
I'll be round later, Fennie, with some pins to put your theory to the test. Presumably if two injuries are the same as one then six would still be one, if you get my meaning.
So very true, Fennie! And I'm with you there - I would want both knees done to get it out the way too!xx
I don't want to put your pain theories to the test Fennie but even a twinge serves to remind us that 'no twinge' is a better state of affairs surely.
Gosh, yes, Fennie. Never really having had the pleasure of success, I'm sure a healthy and relatively pain-free life must be infinitely more pleasant. And even if one had had a great success, I suppose there might always be the feeling that you might never enjoy that success again with anything else. Or even, in my case, I'd probably imagine it must have been some kind of fluke and my work had probably inadvertently been mixed up with someone else
(Which has just reminded me of something that happened when I first started out in journalism. I'd done a rather ropey interview in a pub with a very minor actor, not realising the only thing I'd be able to hear on my tape recorder when I played it back would be the sound of banging trays. Well, a few days later, the editor rang me up, saying what a fine piece of writing that was, and would I like to do another one. It was only when the conversation progressed that I realised he was obviously mixing me up with someone else and talking about a completely different feature, but by then I was too embarrassed to point it out. Well, they obviously realised, and the second commission never was forthcoming. How small I felt...)
Am not about to try the Pete & Dud experiment, but will take your word for it, although it does occur to me that getting back to walking again with two new knees must be quite a lot more difficult than doing it twice with one, if you see what I mean. Makes mental note to do my best to hang onto the knees I've been dealt.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't have too much of the black dog myself but I do have friends who suffer hugely from the sense that nothing is ever good enough. You are so right, we should recognise the value of what we have, particularly our good health. I have got better at that! Intriguing and beautifully written as ever.
I have been away so I’m catching up with your posts. I don’t think having two knees go at once would be good. In 2000 I hurt my left knee quite badly – cracked the meniscus and the pain was very bad but I had a non refundable ticket to Paris with a stop in London and another ticket to Pisa, Italy. So I went and it hurt pretty badly but I still could walk somehow – if both knees had been hurt I could not have gone the pain would have been too much so I think one knee operation at a time is more reasonable.
Post a Comment