Saturday, 28 November 2009

OH TO BE ELEGANT AND CLUTTER FREE


As I grow older my life seems to become more cluttered. Not only my life, but my house as well. I live on clutter, am surrounded by clutter. I am perpetually tidying, slashing burning, recycling clutter. But it never does any good. The clutter simply grows as though it has a mind of its own. My clutter has Japanese Knotweed tendencies.

I suppose I could learn to say 'no,' but I'm not very good at turning away from something someone wants me to do. This week as we all met in our little UNESCO Committee for what was a rather important, indeed critical, meeting it emerged there was no-one to take a note. The Chairman's appeal was met by instant concentration upon either the floor or ceiling. So, of course, I volunteer as if I don't already have enough to do but take a detailed record of a three hour meeting.

It was ever thus. 'You do too much,' says my daughter kindly. And it is true and yet I have this feeling of impending doom that should I ever stop some kind of primeval cavern will open beneath my feet and I will no longer have a connection to the world.
That I will be unable to get out of bed, my teeth and hair will fall out and I will have to spend an entire morning opening a can of baked beans.

At least you can get rid of possessions, though these days the quantity of essential gadgets of one sort or another that one requires is enormous. And the more one does, I suppose, the more one is cluttered up with the detritus that comes with whatever role one happens to be playing.

Quite literally! I have boots, a fur coat, play scripts, envelopes of money, tickets, flyers (which I will be handing out in a few minutes under the Town Clock to advertise our next production) boxes of Treasurer's files, folders with receipts, other folders with statements, photographs - all cluttering me up - and that is from just from drama - one small part of my little life.

But by far the largest physical intrusion is the baby gear that comes with being a grandparent. When my children were little, we had one (small and collapsible) pram of which the body doubled as a carry cot. We had a tartan travelling cot - which served whether we travelled or not - one Maclaren single seat buggy. One child always had to walk or be carried. A few treasured soft toys. And that, so far as I remember, was that. My children were not noticeably deprived. One even took a first class degree.

Then we had two children, who lived with us. Now we have one grandchild who has spent no more than a three or four nights under our roof in the best part of the year.

And yet we have acquired (not purchased for these things seem simply to arrive by some mysterious and random process, like spiders): one stately home type pram, one high tech buggy, a high chair, a layette, another smaller pram, various blankets and babyclothes, a massive car seat that looks as though it is made for a baby elephant and an ottoman full of squeaky toys with mirrors and dangly bits, psychologist-designed games and other baby paraphrenalia.

Most of this is stored in our dining room - an otherwise elegant room - which has long since fallen from its dignified state since we needed a room in which to undertake the printing operations that are part of the business we run. The sideboard is pressed into service as a workbench, the table as a giant desk.

Behind wicker screens, tower stacks of label stocks all watched over by some interesting pictures, books (our walls seem to be plastered with book cases) and a stuffed grouse in a glass case acquired in some long forgotten antique shop and which I couldn't resist because the bird is the spitting image of the grouse on the famous bottle and I half expect to see him doing that little strutting walk at any moment.

Still whenever we have a party - as we did last Saturday when J had a birthday - all this - well not the grouse or the books - has to be moved and stowed into the main office and stockroom. It has to be stored in order and in layers until the space is filled from floor to ceiling. It may be good exercise, shuttling 10 kilogram rolls of labels and elephant sized car seats from one end of the house to the other, but it is exhausting.

And a bore! But it keeps us fit and in no time at all the dining room, complete with its Persian carpet (which came from my mother's Kensington flat 50 years ago and which has been trodden upon everyday often by many feet in heavy shoes and still shows not the slightest sign of wear, fading or staining despite being heavily peed on by the dogs, in the days when we had dogs, and therefore must rank as one of the more ecologically sound products of this or any other age) is back to its former elegant state.

But why, oh why do we need to be surrounded by such a draining whirlwind of possessions? Such myriad complexity? If I could get rid of everything in my house that wasn't designed at least fifty years ago I am not sure I wouldn't be happier and more elegant to boot, rather like the woman in the photograph.

But what about my darling little white Mac computer? That itself looks so elegant and functional, small enough to be tucked into a handbag, light enough to be carted wherever. On which I can watch all those television programmes that I missed when I was otherwise engaged in the clutter of my life? And speak to the wide, wide world? Ah well!

But then there has to be an exception to every rule. Doesn't there?

16 comments:

Norma Murray said...

There is only one answer to clutter Fennie. Move to a smaller house and be brutal about what you take with you. When we moved a few years ago it was so liberating. I chucked out bags and bags of stuff and now I am really disciplined. 1 think William Morris said something about keeping nothing that isn't either useful or beautiful. Well I try to live by that maxim.The result, much less housework and a clearer brain...lovely.

Pondside said...

Thanks so much for the smile, Fennie! I needed it today!
I too am drowning in clutter and struggle regularly to keep it under some sort of control. My sister lives in a clutter-free house and, to be truthful, it is dull, dull, dull - never a magazine to pick up, a book to check out. I think I'd like your home very much - and I would like to see that carpet!

janicebotterill said...

I think clutter is a sign of a full and engaged life! No tottering piles of papers = no interests, no communication, no hobbies. The secret to clutter is cupboards and labelled boxes/files/baskets, preferably in a favourite colour, hiding the contents with an air of efficiency.

Withy Brook said...

I so agree with Pondside - not clutter = dull, dull, dull.
And as for labeling and boxing etc - who has the time? And how do I find anything?

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Oh Fennie, I could have written this one, although only three days into grandparentliness I didn't know about that particular contribution. And lampie may be right about how moving to a smaller house worked for her but for us it was illusory. For a few months it certainly seemed less cluttered but gradually the books and papers which are our worst contributors have crept in again and now there is just less space to put them in.

mountainear said...

Moving into a smaller house was certainly helpful - but 'stuff' has a way of creeping back (probably different 'stuff' but 'stuff' nonetheless).

Some years ago I had the sad task of clearing out my parents' home and getting rid of a lifetime's accumulated clutter: most not even sentimentally valuable: 20 year old bills from the coal man and dust-gathering ornaments.

It would be a counsel of perfection but perhaps we should live up to William Morris' maxim: “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful”.

Fennie said...

Yes - I so agree about the 'no clutter, no interest line. My house is therefore very 'interesting' and hope it always will be. I also agree with the William Morris maxim - I've heard it expressed as three questions:

Have you used it in the past six months?

Will you use it in the next six months?

Is it of sentimental value?

If you get three 'no's chuck it out.

But that still leaves so many 'interesting' things in the house.

TIGGYWINKLE said...

So amused you have written this blog, when my clutter is getting on my nerves. As you say it must be in the air. Must be conscious of it, as our minimilistic daughter and family are arriving from Australia for Christmas, and will no doubt see the clutter expansion. However, I do feel a bit blocked up,and spend too much time I don't have, moving stuff from A to B. I think its an insecurity thing - I might need it- syndrome. I am really going to make an effort to whittle everything down. Have been to a few funerals recently, and it brings to mind all the hassle our daughters would have wading through it. I can just hear the comments, as our other daughter is also a hoarder, but doesn't have the space, so I store her stuff as well.

blackbird said...

I'm a fan of clutter- not garbage, mind you- but things that you're in the middle of working on and things that remind you of beloved people and places. I've found that it's best to be mindful when acquiring.

One of the things that bothers me most as I watch my mother slip towards dementia is that she's losing the emotional attachment to the things around her and now sees them as clutter that needs clearing away.

Frances said...

What a grand post, Fennie.

I found much that reminded me of my very own tendencies to hold on to certain things ... for a very long time.

All the same, I do live in a very small space, so have to be a bit rigorous about deciding what goes, what stays. Now the third question becomes what is allowed into the space. That is sometimes a tough one ... we all have our weak moments.

I can sympathise with what you wrote about having yourself sort of self-volunteered for the UNICEF committee. Good side of this is that the job will be very well done. Just consider what a mess would be made of it had someone else have yielded to the forced lure of responsibility.

How I do hope that one of these days I will find my way to Wales ... I'll remember to pack lightly. xo

Fennie said...

Oh yes please Frances. You would be most welcome here. And I promise to have a tidy up before you arrive!

Brown Dog said...

I know what you mean about clutter, Fennie - it happens here, too, it just seems to somehow go forth and multiply at an alarming rate. And when you chuck stuff out, people give you more stuff, or it arrives unbidden in the post or just seems to appear. It's all so excessive. As a child, I only remember having one teddy, which I still have to this day. And I never had any kind of car seat - we all sat on one another's knees in the back of an old Triumph Herald.

Vagabonde said...

My husband and I have so much “stuff” good stuff, old stuff, great stuff so our house is totally stuffed. We are in the process of moving all the stuff from the kitchen because the floor will be replaced – it’s a big job. I like the answer from countrymummy: “I think clutter is a sign of a full and engaged life!” I’ll write this on the refrigerator door so the floor workers doing our kitchen won’t think too badly of us.

Chris Stovell said...

I do love that photo. How kind of you to do the decent thing at the meeting and take the minutes; I'm not in the lease bit surprised that you were the one who took pity on them. It's much harder to have your say though when you're trying to write - but the good thing is you can now redress the balance by writing them up from your pov!

Hmm, I thought I liked clean lines but this study is getting ridiculous so I won't say anthing on the subject of clutter!

Jan said...

Super blog, Fennie...as I write SURROUNDED by things.

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.c-online-casino.co.uk/]casino online[/url] coincide the latest [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com/]casino las vegas[/url] free no deposit reward at the chief [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]online casino
[/url].