![]() |
| The Empty Sea Front at Tharon Plage |
In France the provenance of food receives serious attention. On the fishmonger's stall in the market, all sorts of shrimps nestled among ferocious looking lobsters waving their minor appendages. Some were labelled as from ‘the equator,’ others from Madagascar, both were relatively inexpensive. Others, looking much the same, were ‘local,’ but twice the price. Nevertheless, these proved the most popular and so we bought some. Cooked with garlic and piment they were delicious. We also bought conger eel (also local!) on the grounds that I had never eaten it before; the fishmonger cut it into steaks (the original animal looked large enough to have fed the five thousand) and gave us copious culinary advice. In the end we dusted and pan fried it, and while the result was interesting I suspect the poor conger will struggle to make the grade as a gourmet fish.
In France far greater attention is given to food, buying it, preparing it, eating it than in the UK, or most other places come to that. With the emphasis on local produce and quality, bread baked twice a day, twice weekly food markets, traceability and a strong food culture, the proportion of French GDP devoted to eating must be significant. What effect, I wonder, does that have on the economy as a whole? Compared to other industrialised countries, does it detract from the efforts to achieve a strong economy, or strengthen them? And does it make people happier, other things being equal?
Still you can have too much of a good thing. In the interests of internationalism we made some carbonara - an Italian dish of spaghetti in a cheese sauce with small pieces of bacon - delicious but rich. Not wanting to waste it I heated up the leftovers, adding more cream, butter and parmesan ......but a few hours later I was in agony. I felt I had been kicked in the stomach by a horse. I was suffering, so my hostess said, ‘une crise de foie,’ (liver crisis) something very well known in France and caused by eating too much rich food. I wasn’t so sure. I thought about those lardons of bacon and wondered whether I had heated them through properly. I had researched the symptoms of botulism poisoning for my novel ‘Boraya,’ and I wondered if this could be the initial stages of a creeping nervous paralysis that would eventually kill me. Would the hospital in Pornic have Botulinum antidote? No, said my hostess, it was ‘crise de foie,’ and it would disappear by itself. Which it did, of course. I even managed a rich butter croissant for breakfast the next day.
The boulangerie is some three-quarters of a mile away, so someone has to walk or drive there to fetch the breakfast croissants. I prefer to walk for the route is along the promenade, most beautiful in the early morning when the sun is climbing over the grey winter sea. Above you in the sky flocks of gulls ride the wind, all going in the same direction, as if they, too, are on some morning commute. Besides, the walk gives you an appetite, all that sea air and a chance to reflect. In the middle of winter, Tharon is deserted, the houses shuttered until Easter. Strangely this loneliness gives you a feeling of belonging, somehow, as if you and the solitary man on the beach with his metal detector were heirs to this holiday town. I wondered whether he was also recovering from a ‘crise de foie.’


8 comments:
A lovely way to see in the New Year, Fennie. I find the French preoccupation with food very civilised and certainly eating well and enjoyment of food is crucial to well-being, so it must be a good thing, I think.
Fennie, thank you for allowing us a peek at the new year's feasting. You've got me wondering when was the last time that I tasted oysters? Perhaps I will remedy that with a visit to the famed Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station...gosh, I do hope it is still there!
Glad that your hostess was correct in her diagnosis of your crise de foie. Having that early morning walk along the sea must have been quite wonderful. I imagine that I might have munched on at least one croissant on the return from the boulangerie, though.
Best wishes for a superb 2013! xo
Only in France! I love the sound of Une Crise de Foie - so very elegant and so much more interesting than a Bilious Attack!
You asked about the herring. It comes from the east coast but it was never part of my family's Christmas feast. We serve it in honour of The Great Dane's heritage. Herring in mustard sauce, herring in curry sauce, herring in Madeira sauce, pickled herring - we love it all!
I envy you being in France and by the sea (I am green!) Talking of green I am glad you didn't have botulism! Happy New Year Fennie.
Fennie, no way would I have eaten eel - they revolt me, though I'd try most things. Your New Year feast sounded wonderful though - worth the tummy ache! The walk along the front reminded me of Bognor!
If you have to suffer from Crise de Foie I cannot think of a nicer place to have it. I have have had a similar thing here in my chaotic kitchen. It was fondly known in our house by my Pa as " Galloping gut rot" !
You sound as if you had a wonderful time, it is a lovely part of th world, we have we spent the last few September enjoying driving around the coast line. One Saturday we stopped on the sea front in Saint Nazaire and joined the locals in a small Cafe, they appeared to be the only other people left on the planet it was so quiet.
Here I don’t often hear people having a liver crisis but at home that was current talk. My father would refuse something and say “mon foie…” and every one knew what he meant. You had a great New Year, the way we used to have them at home, with plenty of rich food and Champagne. Here, our little kitchen TV broke down, so my husband started to read and I went upstairs to read as well. The next time I looked it was 12:27, so we both missed the New Year while reading- I spent my New Year with Evelyn Waugh…instead of watching the mighty Peach go down in Atlanta. Have a great 2013 – happy and fulfilling. I wish you une Très Bonne et Heureuse Année, в хорошем году, Happy New Year, Felice Anno nuovo.
Any chance you might help me with Tharon Plage locations? Many years ago we stayed on the sea front in a block of flats - 2 story. There was a store and a wee restaurant - like in a conservatory - it was just opposite the pier. Would you be able to say if tis wee restaurant is still there and it's address? We loved Tharon Plage and plan a couple of days en route there. Thanks Heather near Edinburgh
Post a Comment