Saturday, 12 January 2013

DEAD, VAST AND MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT

One of my Christmas presents this year was Richard Burton’s diaries - a real doorstopper of a book.   Absolutely everything has been included regardless of how repetitive, banal, trivial or uninformative.  It is hard to write a diary whose greater part doesn’t suffer from these characteristics and Burton’s is no exception, but a decent editing job would have produced a book a third the size and much more informative. The editor (Chris Williams of Swansea University who have custody of Burton’s ‘papers’) has also included a mass of footnotes many of which serve little elucidatory purpose.  You might ask then why anyone should want to read it. 


The answer is because the diaries are like gold ore. Among the 'dead vast and middle of the night' entries are brilliant flashes, dramatic observations, fascinating accounts of people and places, illusions and self-deceptions, strengths and vulnerabilities, which make the writing as interesting as the acting.

I am a great fan of Burton and have often been entranced by that magic voice.  I can also remember standing on stage once in front of a 650 watt spotlight struggling to deliver a particular speech and turning to him in my head for help.  Quick as a flash I heard his voice telling me to concentrate on pronouncing each word; if I did this the line would follow, he said.  Whether it was my imagination or the great man taking pity on a fellow thesp what he suggested seemed to work and I drank his health in the bar afterwards.

Though why it is that we drink people’s health, I have no idea.  Booze did for Burton in the end just as it has done for so many of the great and good.  Still it is said that people who drink moderately live longer than those who don’t.  I used to wonder whether this really meant anything in that some of the most miserable people that I have met have been elective teetotallers.  And if one thing kills you faster than alcohol it is misery.  But however would we manage social occasions without it? 

Such as, for instance, Twelfth Night, a long forgotten part of the Winter Festivities calendar which I have been doing my bit all my life to resurrect.  Among our little theatre group here we have now a tradition of doing something on the evening of 5th or 6th January: the jury is still out on which is the correct date.  This year we read a play - Patrick Barlow’s 39 Steps adaptation, which is currently touring the country.  Fourteen people came in all, including a ventriloquist’s dummy called Sonny Goy, and a very good time was had by all.

In the invitation we stated that nibbles would be on offer but so many people brought food that we have been living on leftovers.  But why is it that everyone brings red wine to parties and then asks for white?  My stock of white wine is now seriously deleted but I have enough red wine to float a battleship.  I think I shall have to specify something about this on the invitations next year.

Actually this week I have been ill, sunk by the same virus that seems to be knocking on everyone’s door and I was driven to my bed.  I cannot remember the last time that this happened. My brain refused to function and all I wanted to do was sleep.  The business carried on however and we have had quite a few orders which I struggled to despatch in my dressing gown.  I am better now but a week has gone by with no work done on the Boraya project.  I have printed out the text and it is now a great thick mass of paper.  The next step is to read it. But I am finding this difficult.  Other people have writers’ block, I have readers’ block.  This doesn’t reflect on the text; the few pages I have read are not bad, though I say it myself.  It is hard, though, not to keep spotting the infelicities of a first draft and the bits that will require reworking and so only half my mind is focused on the reading and the other on something else.  Still, I expect I shall get there, if the business gives me half a chance.

Meanwhile I shall read Burton.  At one point in his diary he says ‘if only I didn’t have to work then I might write a book or something.’ Richard, I know the feeling well, though you could, you know, have just walked out on the picture studios, bought a little place in the south of France and set about a life of scribbling or perhaps teaching at Oxford.  But it is all too late. I wish though I had your capacity for speed reading - two or three books a day - and with the ability to retain what I’d read.  What a turbo-charged mind!

9 comments:

Pondside said...

Fennie, we need to join forces. Our friends bring white wine and then ask for red. What is going on?!?!
I am addicted to biography and autobiography. I don't know how I'd enjoy Sir Richard's diaries though. Your endorsement goes a long way toward making me think I may look for the book - but not entirely.

mountainear said...

Do you remember a story on 'Women's Hour' about professional presents ie those presents given which were perennially regiifted? Perhaps this is the red wines' fate - to be passed from host to host until in despair it is mulled or stirred into some stew or other.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I am intrigued by the diaries. Love Burton but I think my version would have to be the edited one (in there is one). Hate footnotes unless in serious academic tomes but then again, his own words...

Frances said...

Fennie, how I wish that I'd been able to see Richard Burton on the stage, yet still treasure all those film appearances. That Voice.

Probably my library will have the bio, or will appease me should I request that the library order it. It could be that the not very edited bio might tell a more true tale than one that got more edited? After all, isn't one entitled to write one's own story in as many words as one requires? No answer to this question from me, as I do not anticipate an autobiography.

Or do I? Nah. Still, one never knows.

I will be glad to accept any excess red wine, definitely preferring it to white!

Hoping that you soon feel better. Our media is full of stories about the advancing flu. If it catches me, I will look forward to a leisurely return to health...more time for reading, tea, soup, reading, knitting, tea, reading, etc.

For now, I am feeling quite healthy, and will most likely stay up late tomorrow to see the Golden Globes awards, if only to check out current make-up and hair styles.

xo

Fennie said...

Pondside. You would greatly enjoy the diaries of Sir Richard Burton - though you might be shocked. But his wife in a stupendous act of literary vandalism burned them as too scandalous to see the light of day. He was a nineteenth century explorer, poet, arabist and master of language, the only non-Muslim - as I gather - to have joined the Haj and seen the inside of Mecca, so confident was he of passing himself of as an arab. He first translated the Kama Sutra and the Rubaiyat of Omar Kayam if I remember rightly and could learn a language from a standing start to fluency in 3 months.

The Richard Burton we know wasn't knighted, but I am sure you would enjoy dipping into his diaries if you see the book in a library.

Mountaineer - I suppose someone could create a fancy box and label it 'quite an expensive present, please pass on.' It could even come in its own outer protective wrapping. Something designed never to be received, but eternally gifted without ever being opened.
In fact we could label it 'Pandora's Box' perhaps. Think how much clutter we could save! And, ass thy say, it's the thought that counts. The Pandora's Box Supply Company beckons.

Elizabeth, you can of course dip in. And the diaries are easily readable. He comments somewhere writing about a journalist that he (Burton) could write better 'with his left foot.'

The footnotes are useful sometimes to pick up on the bits of Shakespeare that he throws in. Mainly from Hamlet from where comes the title of this blog.

Frances, glad to hear you are keeping well and fending off these intercontinental viruses (or virii?) These are the Burton diaries I am writing about. There are plenty of biographies, but a biography isn't quite the same thing. This is rich and raw material, written almost daily. There's a lot about many film stars including, of course, Elizabeth.

Mostly I drink red, too. But I do enjoy a glass of chilled white on certain occasions and rosé at lunchtime when the sun is shining.



Canadian Chickadee said...

What a great observation you make: Misery has killed more people than alcohol.

Take care and God bless, xox

Vagabonde said...

I read your comment on my blog and when you mentioned that Richard Burton was a fast reader I thought “of course” because I thought you were talking about “Sir” Richard Burton – 1821-1890. My mind is always in the 1800s! I have at least 6 books by Sir Richard Burton like “The Kasidah of Haj Abdu El-Yezdi” and “Wanderings in West Africa.” Sir Burton spoke 29 languages. He was an explorer, geographer, writer, soldier, translator, orientalist, ethnologist, linguist, poet, cartographer, fencer, diplomat and a spy – so I was not surprised if he was a fast reader, too! Now Richard Burton – I don’t know much about the Welsh actor – most of what I heard about him I heard in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, when I went there.

I hope you feel OK now so your mind can focus on reading again. Yesterday at the big, monthly, Atlanta Antique and Flea Market, I found an 1870 edition book on Venice – I was so pleased. I trained myself to read fast when at work. I’d get there early (6 am) so that I could read all the news before starting to work – so I speeded up through the US, UK a French and sometimes Italian news, as well as papers from India, the middle east, Asia, North Africa – what have you. After about 10 years of this regimen (since I had a good computer at work) my speed improved tremendously. I can easily read 2 to 3 books a week, not counting magazine articles, newspapers, blogs, etc. but then I don’t watch much TV.

bayou said...

Fennie, that was very instructive for me, again. I always learn from your writing. And I have always been a fan of Richard Burton. EG is also a very fast reader and fast wine drinker... People can bring anything to our house, there is no preference for colour - perhaps a bit of a hang for red in winter times. The virus has reached our wee country - I am just in the middle of it and thought the same, how strange to be so ill so quickly.

CAMILLA said...

Loved Richard Burton, a wonderful actor and his creamy delicious Welsh voice, don't think there will ever be another that can match him quite like it.

He should have received a Knighthood, perhaps if he was still alive today he would have been.

Have put Burton's Diary's on my book list Fennie.